What Time Do You Feed Your Dogs?

flame ryder

Adult gets a kong wobbler with 1/3 cup kibble around 730 am, and then dinner between 7-9 at night, but she has free access in and out of the house during the day and at night so no toileting issues. She seems to sleep all day and we seem to get late afternoon poos but there could be middle of the night or early morning ones too, I'm not tracking hers so closely these days! Just pick them up daily.

Baby gets breakfast at 730, then "lunch" at 4-5 when I get home, and dinner around 9. We have 10-11pm poos and then make it to the morning and have 7am poos, and when I get home there's always a poo in her run, but that's a baby digestive system and probably doesn't help.

I find that when they're puppies I have a good feel for the time it takes to digest, but since they have free access to the yard as adults I don't micromanage their toilet habits so much.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girls get brekkie between 8am-10am depending on if we're working or not. Dinner varies between 5.30-6.30pm.

They have no strict "schedule" of when it comes out the other end, but I HAVE noticed that running down at the beach can "hurry things along" and they'll do it down there at any time of day - note only running for several minutes makes this happen, short runs and walking doesn't get the gears turning.

Mine are fed twice.

AM- sometime between 6am and 9am

PM- usually around 6. Sometimes skipped if its a training night.

One always goes in the morning when let out, the other guys go while i am at work so anytime between 9 and 4.30 ish. Dont know when :laugh:

And only once or twice a day, depending on what they're fed that day.

Also find that running gets them going :laugh:

I feed mine around dusk so anywhere between 5-6pm generally.

I only feed young dogs/pups or pregnant bitches twice or more a day. The night food is only about a cup to a cup and a half of Black Hawk Chicken formula. My dogs weigh between 15- 16 for the girls and about 20-22 kg for my boy. They get bones a few times a week, and what other meat scraps when they happen.

Guest Clover

In the evening sometime. I have only just fed now, only because the old boy was moaning like he was dying from starvation :laugh:.

Mine Is still fairly young so at the moment he's on 3 feeds. One in the morning when I get up (Uni and Work schedule means this is ever changing). A snack in the afternoon when either my partner or myself is home and a late night feed when either my partner or myself finish work. That way the gap between dinner and breakfast is fairly consistent.

I was always taught not to feed Dogs in a set routine incase something happens and you are delayed it can cause them some distress (Not sure how accurate this is, I'm sure one of the more enlightened people on the forum will know the truth of it)

Ours are fed twice a day -

approx. between 6-80am - 1-3 = chicken wings each

approx. between 5.30 - 7pm = minced chicken carcass + Black Hawk + supplements

If they are having bone day (usually around 4-5 days a week) they get it as a third meal, but I lessen their dinner accordingly.

Twice a day, 7-8am, and around 5:30pm.

From everything I've been told (with my last breed being susceptible) multiple smaller feeds a day reduce the risk of bloat.

Pretty much the same here.

Having a breed at risk of bloat, i do twice a day as well.

7:30-8:30am and then 5:30-6:30pm

7.30am and 4- 4.30pm.

Or a bit later if we have to go somewhere straight after school as the boys share feeding duties. Eldest child feeds in the morning and the youngest child feeds in the afternoon.

George won't even get out of bed unless she sees the eldest child in the morning and then she waits at the door. :laugh:

Twice a day here - usually around 7am (maybe a bit later on weekends), and between 6 & 7 of an evening depending on when I get home from work. Any later than this and the cat particularly tells me she's starving & will die a slow and painful death if I don't feed her NOW