Registered Name/litter Registrations

Is there some way to find out litters that are registered of a breed? Either via state canine council website, ANKC? And to find out what names have been registered for litters?

Just curious. Obviously when you look at the DogsVic gazette you can see litter registrations that are included in that. But I'm wondering if there is some way of seeing a summary of all the litters bred under a particular prefix, what names have been registered for puppies, etc without having to independently go through each gazette and compile what information you can from those. And along with this also see pedigree information for the puppies/parents.

And on a similar note is there a central record that can be accessed that has results of health testing?

Like I said just curious. I've just been looking in to a few things for work and trying collate information (and it is really tedious and difficult!!), and started wondering if this sort of thing exists for dogs. Which I sort of think could help make it easier for people who are trying to find out information about dogs in terms of looking to find a good stud dog, or are looking for dogs from certain lines, etc.

I think there is a way to access the ANKC registry online, at least for NSW members, and probably more widely. But I think its searchability is limited and I doubt you can get a whole litter record with names, I might be wrong.

There is no Australian national health database, although I know there is work in that direction. It may well be limited in functionality for a number of reasons, at least initially. There may already be something specifically for your breed though, outside of the ANKC processes.

For my breed, there is an international pedigree database which is voluntary but very comprehensive and allows listings of siblings etc (the Borzoi Files), as well as a couple of other similar efforts. I know whippets and salukis have similar, i am sure many more breeds do. For health there is OFA in the US although not many Aust dogs of my breed have results on it. Some other countries do the health info much better, Finland comes to mind.

Although you would think these kind of databases would be widely supported, you might be amazed at the arguments put up against them, every thing from system capacity and cost to privacy concerns and data standards. Quite a lot of people don't want public listing of health test results when it comes down to it. And of course doing that kind of information management does have a cost, and the dog scene is replete with people who resist any extra cost amd think they already pay too much for registrations, show entries etc.

Edited by Diva

The ANKC registry is available online for members through the Dogs NSW Website. If you type in a prefix it will bring up all the dogs registered to them but for further details you need to click on the name of each dog.

The only health registries are voluntary and limited to specific tests. Many breeders have all their health test results on their websites.

You can purchase, through Dogs NSW, a database of any specific breed. I bought one last year, it cost me $65 per 1000 entries. The form for applying for this is available on Dogs NSW website. Even though I am in Vic I could still use this and I hope to do so again early next year to keep my database up to date.

No health testing is recorded on this and I'm not aware of any database that has this. The breed information includes: dogs name, regn. no. breeder, breeder m/ship no. DOB, gender, sire, dam and regn. nos. of sire and dam, colour

Edited by Airedaler

The MDBA registry records health, temperament and lots of other things - on the database and recorded on the face of all pedigrees.

Am I correct in thinking that the only people registering with the MDBA are MDBA members?

Not really - the only people registering their litters are MDBA members but our information comes also from people who are not members who provide us with information about their purebred dogs which we add into the data base to enable breeders to have greater knowledge to profile a pedigree and 'line' to select the best breeding dogs.

The MDBA registry records health, temperament and lots of other things - on the database and recorded on the face of all pedigrees.

Am I correct in thinking that the only people registering with the MDBA are MDBA members?

Not really - the only people registering their litters are MDBA members but our information comes also from people who are not members who provide us with information about their purebred dogs which we add into the data base to enable breeders to have greater knowledge to profile a pedigree and 'line' to select the best breeding dogs.

Is the MDBA database readily accessible to only the MDBA members or generally available?

Is the MDBA database readily accessible to only the MDBA members or generally available?

Only members for now but it will be more widely available in the future.

Have to say that there are interesting things to talk about in what you see in the "lines" such as higher incidence of something in the family when an animal is desexed early etc. Hoping to be able to correlate and consider lots of things as well as heritability over time as the information builds. Not just health gathered but also temperament and what work a dog does etc. Also information is coming in from world wide - 11 countries so far.

Edited by Steve

Only members for now but it will be more widely available in the future.

Have to say that there are interesting things to talk about in what you see in the "lines" such as higher incidence of something in the family when an animal is desexed early etc. Hoping to be able to correlate and consider lots of things as well as heritability over time as the information builds. Not just health gathered but also temperament and what work a dog does etc. Also information is coming in from world wide - 11 countries so far.

Thanks Steve. I have recently read a few articles on the negatives of early de sexing. I find it quite ironic that the social pressure that is put on people to de sex early is beginning to look like the cause of much angst for owners. Throwing the baby out with the bath water comes to mind.

Lots of questions and seeing the patterns is opening up questions which will in the near future need to be considered - is something genetic or is it something else. It started out just keeping health results and putting them on the face of the pedigree for profiling but as it continues its showing up potential things we didnt consider.

I still believe that if we are to breed healthy well temperamented dogs the answer lies in record keeping and sharing rather than either keeping it quiet or the info dying with the breeder.

Sigh - So much to talk about.