Toledo Trailers

africandreams

Thinking of buying a new Toledo in the next few months. Did a search on DOL and have read a lot of comments about Toledos leaking through the wirly birds and also water spraying up through the vents when the road is wet.

Can anyone that has bought one in the past few years confirm if this is still happening or if these problems no longer exist!

Thinking of buying a new Toledo in the next few months. Did a search on DOL and have read a lot of comments about Toledos leaking through the wirly birds and also water spraying up through the vents when the road is wet.

Can anyone that has bought one in the past few years confirm if this is still happening or if these problems no longer exist!

Water sucks up through any doors if you don't close spinners in wet weather

I had an old Toledo. It used to get a little damp in there in very hard rain.

The old Toledo was double walled and had insulation between the outer skin and the internal timber lining. It was also rusting inside out as water or condensation from dogs breathing inside and cold outside would cause condensation to form within the trailer. I had the same issue with the trek - more noticeable as there was no skin so the condensation would drop down onto the dogs.

I have also had a Trek - biggest pile of crap you can waste your money on. Had to put a whole new steel subframe under it because it cracked everywhere and the suspension was about to break off it on both sides. When we found that - I only had just arrived home from a weekend away. I was fortunate that it had not happened while I was driving.

It was only used a dozen or so times and only on bitumen. The metal is too thin and they just fold it then weld everything onto that with no reinforcing or anything else. The overall workmanship was also rough. When I approached them, they claimed my tyres were inflated too high and that had caused the fatigue cracking. Mind you, after buying the trailer new from them - I had to let the tyre pressures DOWN as they had inflated them too high.

As hubby was working in a metal fabrication business at the time - only had to pay for the steel. If I had to pay someone to actually make that trailer roadworthy - it would have been better taking it somewhere for scrap metal and then not getting enough for it.

However in saying that, by pure design - All dog trailers can and may suck water up through the vents in the doors or leak down through the whirly birds. They are not water tight. If they were - there would be no air getting to the dogs in there.

All in all - I would still prefer a toledo over some other brands. They used (don't know about now) to be made solid and they seem/used to have better quality control than some other brands. Also look at Champion or Tricky Trailers if they are still around. They were made pretty well too.

Hello, I have a 91 Toledo and never had any trouble with it, I need to replace the Wirly's as they were broken by kids at a show, never had any leakage. Its a great 4 berth float, just needs a few things done to it as it has done a lot of road work.

Stick to your guns and if I was you I would buy a Toledo. you wont be sorry. they are great dog floats.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had nothing but trouble with my Toledo trailer and water leaking through the roof because it was not appropriately sealed and they don't use the right screws. They did nothing but slap on a thick strip of white silicon all across my brand new trailer!!!!!!!

I would never ever recommend a Toledo

If you are after a very good trailer I can highly recommend Cruising Canines, they build beautiful trailers and can alter to suit every type of request.