Crate - Extra Strong

Tazar

Hi,

I have a small GSD and she has managed to get out of every crate I own . She will push with her paws and head butt the door or sides until something pops. Most of the crates have been Life Stages and one doesn't have a name but is definitely more robust than Life Stages.

Can anyone suggest brands that have more robust crates?

Thanks in advance

For a wire crate I have found Vebo Pet to be the strongest I have seen so far http://www.vebopet.com.au/

Or you could try the plastic airline crates - one like this http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/PETMATE-VARI-KENNEL-FASHION-5-XLARGE-BLEACH-LINEN-%28AIRLILNE-APPROVED%29-%2A%2B-~-p-14855

Also, have you trained her to enjoy being in her crate? If she is constantly trying to get out, it sounds like she is not that happy being in there. I have found feeding them in there, and throwing some treats in every time they go in, helps a lot. Also, you could try Crate Games, which I have also found a very useful and fun way to teach them to enjoy the crate and have self control

Edited by Kavik

Vebo crates are pretty strong. They are 4mm wire a lot thicker/stronger than some other brands. You can't bend the wire with your fingers like some cheaper ones. Id suggest reinforcing the corners & roof using cable ties (or wire ties for a chewer). even use an easy to release clip like on a leash to hook the door locked.

Of course ongoing crate training to teach the dog to relax is important.

ETA Vebo also have ready made strong crate covers that fit beautifully and i think would lessen the desire to push out.

Here is my dog Gruf in his XXL Vebo crate with Vebo fitted cover.

Edited by GrufLife

Has anyone struggled to put the venom ones up? One of the latches on the of the sides was waaaay higher than the others and I actually got my finger caught in it - I almost passed out from paid as I couldn't collapse the crate to free it for about 10 mins. I now leave it up. If they're all built like this I'd not recommend them.

Has anyone struggled to put the venom ones up? One of the latches on the of the sides was waaaay higher than the others and I actually got my finger caught in it - I almost passed out from paid as I couldn't collapse the crate to free it for about 10 mins. I now leave it up. If they're all built like this I'd not recommend them.

Ouch! Horrible thing to happen.

:cry:

Thanks for the suggestion.

She is crate trained, in fact loves her crate and will happily be in there most of the time. (Not that she spends a lot of time in there). She has separation anxiety (I rescued her at 14 mths) and has moments when she just has to get out and is successful. I need to be able to put her in the crate and know she can not get out. I think it will be good for her in the long run too. This is a dog who has scaled 7ft fencing with a boundary collar on the highest level to get to me. She does not go to that length anymore and has improved tremendously. On the upside her recall is amazing :thumbsup:

I have cable tied the sides in multiple place and use a metal skewer loped back around and woven through the wire cross the door. She broke the cable tie and the bent open the metal hinge/clasp....

might be time to see if you can find someone to custom make one. Welded heavy gave mesh with two heavy duty barrel bolts top & bottom on the door that can be properly locked. Of course it would not be collapsible.

Edited by GrufLife

I've got one that is a real heavy gauge wire, it's really heavy so we don't really bother to move it very much - it doesn't have a brand on it though. I got it second hand, maybe have a look and ask to view it first.

I just bought one of these for Zig and love it.. My link

I think he loves it more than I do though as he just goes and sits in it whenever we are all in the lounge room.

may I ask where you bought this from? never seen one, but looks great.

I picked mine up at Pet Stock here in Canberra - I love it.. The side that is open, actually slides up an into the roof of the crate - so when we are home, it just stays open all the time and he can go in and out as he pleases.

Both ends open as well and the top has an opening as well.

It all collapses down easily and is on wheels and has a carry bag.

I paid $269

I just bought one of these for Zig and love it.. My link

I think he loves it more than I do though as he just goes and sits in it whenever we are all in the lounge room.

may I ask where you bought this from? never seen one, but looks great.

I picked mine up at Pet Stock here in Canberra - I love it.. The side that is open, actually slides up an into the roof of the crate - so when we are home, it just stays open all the time and he can go in and out as he pleases.

Both ends open as well and the top has an opening as well.

It all collapses down easily and is on wheels and has a carry bag.

I paid $269

Thanks... would love to one in Sydney. That is a good price too!

• 2 months later...