Surrendered Dog - Some People Should Know Better

I received a call last weekend from someone who was about to euthanase their dog, unless I agreed to take it due to current circumstances.

The dog in question had been kept as an outside dog all it's life after being "rescued from a pet shop".

Of course I understand that people have changes in circumstances and I do take surrendered dogs and let the old owner know how they are and when I rehome them etc.

This little dog was left in a vet cage for a few days until I could arrange collection. The owner then texted me daily wanting updates. On this occasion, I'm not happy to do it - the owner was a vet nurse so imagine my surprise/horror to find the dog (an elderly terrier cross) was:

1. not desexed (had puppies at some point)

2. had mammary tumours

3. had bad teeth with roots exposed

4. had long term severe flea infestation and consequently very smelly skin (even after 2 baths as she was filthy dirty)

5. overgrown nails

6. very underweight, ie you can feel all her bones

She'd never been to a vet - go figure. Owner didn't know the age of their own dog except that she was "over 10".

I've taken her on and will find her a really nice home for the rest of her days, she's safe now.

The owner doesn't think they did anything wrong, when I challenged them they said "they are not cruel to animals".

Total neglect constitutes cruelty in my opinion and how you could do it to such a dear little dog I have no idea.

post-4751-0-77305900-1407654059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The owner doesn't think they did anything wrong, when I challenged them they said "they are not cruel to animals"

Total neglect constitutes cruelty in my opinion and how you could do it to such a dear little dog I have no idea.

I'd have been tempted to reply, 'Are you supremely stupid or seriously delusional?'

That little dog has the sweetest eyes, so full of gentleness & patience. Who couldn't love her.

You posted her pic in Boronia's thread...& the first thing I noticed were those lovely eyes.

Edited by mita

I don't blame you for not wanting to give the former owner constant updates Jane .They have failed miserably in their duty of care to this gorgeous little soul .

It was her lucky day when she came to you . Thank goodness you were contacted .

I shall look forward to seeing her shine in your capable care.

Teeth with roots exposed :mad Poor little mite - what a hell of a life. Does this person actually work in a vet surgery? If so its a horrific thought that type of person has anything to do with caring for sick animals :mad

So glad this sweet little dog is now safe with you. What an awful life she must have has for all her 10plus years.

Owner is a moron.. I'd be updating her with the cost of the vet bill and suggesting she make a contribution.. I think you will find she will suddenly not want any more updates.

You are an angel, she is so lucky you have you.

Another that will take a lot of your heart and soul ( and money), I don't know how you keep doing it.

Take care of you too!

I agree, drop her an email with the bill, cant hurt to try.

Edited by juice

Guest donatella

Thank you for being a dog angel yet again. Send the owner this link so she knows what a useless jerk she is. Probably in the wrong profession if this is how she cares for animals!!!

So glad this sweet little dog is now safe with you. What an awful life she must have has for all her 10plus years.

Owner is a moron.. I'd be updating her with the cost of the vet bill and suggesting she make a contribution.. I think you will find she will suddenly not want any more updates.

This.

If I took any of my dogs into my vet with even slightly overgrown dew claws she goes mad at me! How the hell this vet nurse can get away with rotting teeth is beyond me! Ask her how she would feel if she had unattended dental decay, nits and dirty hair next time she calls so worried about her precious dog!

I watched a show last night about a lady who runs a cat sanctuary and rescue in LA. She has almost 800 cats at her rescue and her local pound puts down 200 cats a day so obviously the situation is uber crappy. She gets people who call wanting to surrender cats and kittens multiple times a day and she berates them endlessly about their animal ownership stupidity and neglect. She gets real personal and hangs up on them too. She does take whatever they want to dump and offers to free desex any cat they choose to keep but she makes them suffer her anger and dislike for it. I was cheering for her.

I'd have been tempted to reply, 'Are you supremely stupid or seriously delusional?'

That little dog has the sweetest eyes, so full of gentleness & patience. Who couldn't love her.

You posted her pic in Boronia's thread...& the first thing I noticed were those lovely eyes.

A few weeks ago I would have said are you supremely stupid AND seriouly delusional.

Then I had a rethink.

Let Karma catch these idiots.

I can try to support the likes of people like Dogmad & others who do the right thing.

Words do fail me at how people are simply crass.

Hoping for the wee gal to have a wonderful fur-ever home.

:heart:

Edited by VizslaMomma

If this is how she treated her own dog, I hate to think how she treats others in her care. Disgraceful. You do expect more from a profession supposedly dedicated to caring for animals :mad

Mind you, I wonder sometimes, why people chose the career they do. Like teachers who seem to hate children :confused:

Glad this little mite will experience love now she is with you Dogmad :thumbsup:

I can't understand this either when the owner had access to veterinary advice, medications, and probably a discount on any surgery and essentials for her dog. At some point there had to be a choice made that they would not desex, not treat the tumours, fleas, do a dental, etc. I sincerely hope she doesn't have any children or any more pets at home.

Thanks, Jane, for stepping up and doing what this little dog's owner found too hard to do.

This.

If I took any of my dogs into my vet with even slightly overgrown dew claws she goes mad at me! How the hell this vet nurse can get away with rotting teeth is beyond me! Ask her how she would feel if she had unattended dental decay, nits and dirty hair next time she calls so worried about her precious dog!

I watched a show last night about a lady who runs a cat sanctuary and rescue in LA. She has almost 800 cats at her rescue and her local pound puts down 200 cats a day so obviously the situation is uber crappy. She gets people who call wanting to surrender cats and kittens multiple times a day and she berates them endlessly about their animal ownership stupidity and neglect. She gets real personal and hangs up on them too. She does take whatever they want to dump and offers to free desex any cat they choose to keep but she makes them suffer her anger and dislike for it. I was cheering for her.

I don't think I could do that but god, is it tempting at times. We took a dog from a woman (pet home) who "couldn't keep [dog] anymore because they were moving", I was very understanding, took the time to let her say goodbye and tried my hardest to support this woman through what must have been a hard time (the move was for work, they had kids to consider). And then a few months later.. she's got a new greyhound listed up on Gumtree that she can't keep because of some other bullshit reason. I wanted to reach through the screen and slap her. With a lump of wood. Attached to an angry bear.

As tempting as it was, I didn't call her but I won't be taking the dog, either. For some people, I think they really have to understand (and live with) the consequences of their choices before they'll stop doing shitty things.

The owner was a vet nurse and the dog was at the vets for a few days before you could collect her. :eek::eek:

This vet nurse and the veterinary clinic need to be named and shamed.

What a disgusting excuse of a vet nurse! I shudder to think about how she treats other animals in her care!!

Guest Clover

Lots of vet nurses treat their animals like crap and do dodgy stuff, nothing new there.

I am glad you were able to take on the poor little dog.