Surrendered Dog - Some People Should Know Better

This little girl is putting on some weight, she's had a couple of very short walks on the lead.

She's currently a bit food aggressive but it is getting better and it's not unusual in a dog who obviously hasn't been fed properly for a long time.

She's learning the dog door and holds on for a long time, going outside when I take her.

She's also been sitting on my lap - she's very tentative about everything but again this is not unusual given the situation. She has a lot of large skin flakes and scabby bits that are coming loose - she'll take a while to look like she should.

I'm pleased with her progress! Thanks for all the support. My heart breaks because there are so many in need out there and I just can't help any more right now. So many bad owners.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any rescue org ever made a complaint to the RSPCA about the condition of a surrendered dog? Obviously you wouldn't also want to have to surrender that dog to the RSPCA to make a complaint stick but honestly, what is ever going to change unless we start naming and shaming people like this? She should know better because of her job and deserves whatever humiliation comes her way. I'd be more than happy to see people like that burdened with fines that stop them from ever owning an animal again. It's like letting a child abuser work in a kindergarten. This kind of treatment of an animal is unacceptable and we can bitch away here about it but she is free to go on and get another animal and do the same again. Even the other staff at her vet's deserve a good slap for not intervening on that innocent animal's behalf.

Has any rescue org ever made a complaint to the RSPCA about the condition of a surrendered dog? Obviously you wouldn't also want to have to surrender that dog to the RSPCA to make a complaint stick but honestly, what is ever going to change unless we start naming and shaming people like this? She should know better because of her job and deserves whatever humiliation comes her way. I'd be more than happy to see people like that burdened with fines that stop them from ever owning an animal again. It's like letting a child abuser work in a kindergarten. This kind of treatment of an animal is unacceptable and we can bitch away here about it but she is free to go on and get another animal and do the same again. Even the other staff at her vet's deserve a good slap for not intervening on that innocent animal's behalf.

I couldn't agree more and I haven't finished with the former owner or the vet quite yet. :mad

I was at Renbury a couple of years ago and saw a truly horrific case there. I was so shocked - a small dog aged 4 with hair like a woolly mammoth and a sign on the door that he shouldn't be approached. I spoke to this little fellow who couldn't see at all due to the mass of hair hanging down over his eyes and he approached me and appeared friendly, I went in and spent some time with him and decided I would not leave him. His owners had surrendered him for being aggressive.

I was delighted to see the RSPCA were there, I thought they'd come to see him but no, they'd come to assess some dogs to take back to their shelter for rehoming.

They were not interested in him although they did physically examine him with me - they told me they never prosecute owners if they surrender their dog. Personally I don't believe anyone should get away with it, no matter what.

I drove him to the PAWS vet who waited for me - I had to go via Londonderry to drop other pound dogs and then another hour south. It turned out that this dog's ears were actually matted to his head so he probably couldn't hear much either, it was so horrific.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

We had an old Goldie surrendered to us a few years ago... who we ended up transferring to Goldie Rescue, as they were originally going to take the dog, but the owners were suss that GR may call the RSPCA on them for his condition.

GR did contact the RSPCA, who were actually aware of this particular dog and it's owners - and they were given a fine for neglecting him. They had taken him to the vet and were given a treatment plan, etc, but never followed it up... thus the dog got worse, and they ended up surrendering him rather than be caught with him on the premises when the RSPCA turned up. The RSPCA had followed up with the vet clinic involved, etc...

Rescues CAN contact the RSPCA or Animal Welfare about any dog surrendered to them - and not have to surrender said dog to their care before action can be taken.

T.

I am sad to read the initial post. I'm also sad to say that as someone who has done 3 long term tertiary animal-care courses, I have run into a large portion of people within these courses that I would never, ever want to leave my pet with. Many of them have appalling people skills too, so it makes me wonder what their saving graces are. Sadly, just because a person has a job title doesn't mean they are in the right job or right for the job. I found that one out the hard way.

I am glad that poor little dog found her way to someone who actually gives a damn enough to do the right thing by her. People who go on about being "animal lovers" and then blatantly mistreat their animals sicken me to the core. :mad

I received a call last weekend from someone who was about to euthanase their dog, unless I agreed to take it due to current circumstances.

The dog in question had been kept as an outside dog all it's life after being "rescued from a pet shop".

Of course I understand that people have changes in circumstances and I do take surrendered dogs and let the old owner know how they are and when I rehome them etc.

This little dog was left in a vet cage for a few days until I could arrange collection. The owner then texted me daily wanting updates. On this occasion, I'm not happy to do it - the owner was a vet nurse so imagine my surprise/horror to find the dog (an elderly terrier cross) was:

1. not desexed (had puppies at some point)

2. had mammary tumours

3. had bad teeth with roots exposed

4. had long term severe flea infestation and consequently very smelly skin (even after 2 baths as she was filthy dirty)

5. overgrown nails

6. very underweight, ie you can feel all her bones

She'd never been to a vet - go figure. Owner didn't know the age of their own dog except that she was "over 10".

I've taken her on and will find her a really nice home for the rest of her days, she's safe now.

The owner doesn't think they did anything wrong, when I challenged them they said "they are not cruel to animals".

Total neglect constitutes cruelty in my opinion and how you could do it to such a dear little dog I have no idea.

Thank you for being kind.

The stupid vet nurse is a cruel person and a very ignorant one as well.

thanks everyone.

"Chloe" is a much happier little girl now, we've got some coverage over the bones and she's no longer desperately hungry, still keen but not frantic. She went for a longer walk yesterday (we've only done short walks due to surgery, her condition and her anxiety at being on the lead) and enjoyed it, she is getting better all the time.

I was going to move her to a foster carer but they don't have any other dogs and she now plays constantly with all my dogs, so she's only going to find a new home with a playful companion.

What a wonderful update :thumbsup: Little Chloe sounds like she's doing great. I missed the photo in the OP when I first read this thread. What an absolutely gorgeous face. Any chance of some more piccies :D

Just had a breakthrough - she put herself out for a toilet whilst I was home!! :thumbsup:

This little girl has refused to go outside alone so I've been having to carry her for the last 3 weeks or so and asking her to do a wee wee at the right times.

If I wasn't with her she would immediately turn and come back inside, she's been so paranoid about being left outside I guess.

She had another bath yesterday, she's still like a snowstorm, I've been using coconut oil but will switch to fish oil which is what I normally use, she's got one of the worst dry skins I've ever had.

Hey dogmad have you tried calendula tea rinse? Happy to send you some if you dont have any

I haven't Panto but willing to try anything! She's definitely improving, still quite itchy on her rear end underneath where the skin is still very dry.

Would love pics dogmad

Guest crazydoglady99

Could the skin/itching be food related?

I had never ending food allergies with my maltese, switched to "vets all natural sensitive skin" mixed with raw mince. Solved our allergy itchies (i think mine is allergic to chicken and some grains)

Would love to see pics, sounds like lucky girl has landed on her feet :)