Dog Rescue

• 3 weeks later...

Even better if they were local and would let me visit him sometimes :cry:

I think once you surrender a dog it is best to just walk away for the dogs sake, it is not fair on either to want visiting rights especially if the dog has a new home. I have had people ask for this and I have said no as it can become messy if the person changes their mind and wants the dog back, and believe me this has happened, not to me but to others, and has been awful for the new owners.

Best to walk away.

Maree

CPR

Even better if they were local and would let me visit him sometimes :cry:

I think once you surrender a dog it is best to just walk away for the dogs sake, it is not fair on either to want visiting rights especially if the dog has a new home. I have had people ask for this and I have said no as it can become messy if the person changes their mind and wants the dog back, and believe me this has happened, not to me but to others, and has been awful for the new owners.

Best to walk away.

Maree

CPR

Agreed - I always give the new owners the choice of meeting/staying in touch with the old owners and the answer has always been no.

Unfortunately, to be kind to everyone involved, you must let go.

I did come across one bizarre situation through a private rehoming on Gumtree. 2 purebred Whippets owned by a couple who broke up and couldn't keep them. One person advertised them saying he wanted to still maintain visiting rights once rehomed.

They found a couple on acreage on the outskirts of Sydney who adopted the dogs. The arrangement was that as the original owner didn't drive, the new owners would drive the dogs into the city for the weekends, in the owner's unit (no mean feat in Sydney's traffic).

After a year of this arrangement, the new owners contacted us at Iggy Rescue and described the dogs' behavioural issues, most of which were caused by anxiety. When I heard about the 'arrangement", I was horrified but also stunned that both parties had kept it going for so long.

We found the dogs a wonderful home with fantastic owners where they eventually recovered and settled.

My dogs are basically my only family too so I understand :(

You obviously love him very much and have his best interests at heart, I'm sorry you are going through this. Could you maybe pay a dog walker to walk him or maybe if you are able to drive take him to a doggy day care a couple of times a week?

Yes, it's a pretty tiny yard but it's a yard, enough for him to go to the toilet and get some sun.

I have another dog too and they chase each other in the house so they get rid of energy that way. The other dog is fine at the dog park so I'm not worried about her.

Can you get one of those extender leads so he can still run around but not be out of control? You wouldn't necessarily have to go to a dog park either.

Hi PatchPuppy :)

Have you got any idea how long you're going to be in recovery mode? Is it likely to be a matter of weeks, or more like months/years? If you're able to stick it out for a few weeks that'd be great, but if it's a more long term thing and you're likely to be unable to meet his needs for a long period, I would suggest the following rescues: '

New Beginnings Animal Rescue

Noah's Bark

Forever Friends

Vic Dog Rescue

They're not local to the peninsula, but I would prioritise a good rescue rather than proximity :) Also, many rescues don't necessarily have a geographic location and their carers are based all over the place. My rescue (that I foster for) has a postal address at our vet clinic, but the carers are based all around the place, and none of us live that close to any of the others!

I wonder if you could speak to any of the other dog owners at the park and maybe ask if they would know of or want to walk him with their dogs. Years ago a friend of mine was unable to have her own dog (they were renting) and she hated walking alone, so she asked everyone she could think of to walk their dogs. She never asked for payment as she wanted the walking buddy. Maybe you can find this sort of arrangement

• 2 weeks later...