Serious Dingo Attack - Fraser Island

j

Some humans are slow to learn.

:cry:

I believe it is arrogance and belief that we are top of the animal kingdom as it were. Our detachment from other creatures leads to ignorance, a case of not knowing (or caring) what we don't know.

Paraphrased in that awfully horrible saying ( imnsho)

I am alright Jack.

I can do what I want with complete disregard to the consequences.

:mad

We were there for 10 days between Easter and Anzac Day and again for the Fraser island clean up a few months back. We headed straight up,to sandy cape to escape the Easter crowds. Saw a couple of dingoes, nothing to really worry about as they kept away from camp. There ranged between 5-7 vehicles in our party.

Once we came down to Eurong and closer to the big popular areas, were the dingoes more bold. Mind you the popular areas were an absolute pigsty. Some people really should be ashamed for themselves. Scraps, toilet paper and other rubbish everywhere. One place positively reeked near a certain few Lava-trees. One dingo came right up and sniffed at the end of the swag. A few others kept circling.

There was a group camp next to us, a surfie from Victoria with two English backpackers who give a whole new meaning to blond bimbos. We warned them to put their rubbish bin up on the roof of their 4wd and to not leave anything around camp as there were two quite bold dingoes hanging around. One of the blondes thought it would be good to feed them because "they were so cute and sooo skinny". We told them in no uncertain terms that it is illegal to do so, and they are also putting a death sentence onto these animals by feeing them as they will become bolder and may lead them to attacking another person or child later on. They kept going, "oh they look soo hungry and skinny"

Stupid tourists who leave food out or feed the dingoes making them bold. Just wish they would "look and not touch" and think past their own noses. Unfortunate for this guy, but he also should of known better than to be wandering around outside the dingo fence by himself. There are plenty of signs around the island on being "dingo safe". Fraser Island is their home too, and they should be able to live in relative peace.

Our 4wd club for the past two years have donated all proceeds from our "fines" totalling over $1000 to save the dingo fund.

And the latest wild creature pays the price for a man's stupidity. Tragic yes, horrific yes, but the man was a local, he should have known better and now Michael Jackson, the albino crocodile "had to die" according to the authorities.

I cannot imagine how overwhelmingly horrific it would have to be to remember for the rest of your life that a loved one had been killed by a wild animal, but why the animal has to die is beyond me.

And the latest wild creature pays the price for a man's stupidity. Tragic yes, horrific yes, but the man was a local, he should have known better and now Michael Jackson, the albino crocodile "had to die" according to the authorities.

I cannot imagine how overwhelmingly horrific it would have to be to remember for the rest of your life that a loved one had been killed by a wild animal, but why the animal has to die is beyond me.

That really really appalled me.

:cry:

I agree. It is their environment and if I want to encroach on that and not abide by their rules then I could pay the ultimate price for that. It's like going to Africa, wanting to ride your bicycle through the bush while eating a kebab and not thinking about the consequences. You've got to respect nature or she will turn on you just to prove her point.

I agree. It is their environment and if I want to encroach on that and not abide by their rules then I could pay the ultimate price for that. It's like going to Africa, wanting to ride your bicycle through the bush while eating a kebab and not thinking about the consequences. You've got to respect nature or she will turn on you just to prove her point.

Best comparison ever :laugh:

I have noticed that people appear to be more foolhardy and less careful.

Not just with dingoes or crocodiles, but with everything .. they wander all over car-parks, not looking out for cars .... someone decided to cross the road at the lights just as they turned green - obviously hadn't looked for the red man .... and didn't look at the cars either.

These scenarios are regularly repeated --- because people don't seem to watch out for themselves now.

Sad about the dingoes.

Perhaps with crocs there may be a need to recover remains but I don't understand destroying the dingoes at all.

Same with sharks, how many hunted down and cut open with someone is taken.

I may feel differently if I'd known anyone, but I don't think so. And a lot of people who've had relatives taken by sharks don't want a cull.