Are We Overthinking/over-reacting To Our Dogs' Behaviours?

tdierikx

I had a stranger actually reach into my car and pat Harper while she was doing one of her fear displays... brave or stupid, I don't know - but she let him pat her... *sigh*

I know that Harper will not bite - at least that is some small consolation. She's more likely to shut down completely or capitulate than bite - even if cornered. If she's met someone before, she's also more likely to jump all over them for another cuddle next time she sees them... she's a complicated one...

T.

It wasn't your thread in particular that prompted this discussion Terri... just that there have been quite a few similar ones - and it got me thinking about why we are reacting so strongly about what would have once been construed as "normal" doggy behaviour when placed in a stressful or frightening situation... as though NO dog should ever react at all to a stressful or frightening situation it may find itself in.

I have 2 dogs here that are about as "bombproof" as it comes - but I'd still expect them to let me or anyone else know that what was being done to them hurts or is stressful. I also know it's MY job to ensure that they aren't subjected to unnecesaary stress or pain if at all possible. If one of my dogs was backing up from some stranger in a vet clinic leaning over it with a strange object, I'd not be asking what the dog was doing wrong, but why the hell someone who is supposed to have more sense when handling animals was being such a dick.

I hear you loud and clear about the fear thing, as I'm pretty sure one of my other dogs has a worse case of that than your Didi... funnily enough she is also part Dane...

T.

Sorry if I was a bit defensive, I construed your post as a bit of undermining my decision since it was the most recent thread of this nature. Please don't think at all though that I want Didi to not warn people she's uncomfortable, hence why I've never corrected her, a bark is much better than a bite (not that I think she would do that). Also I don't think her reaction in the vets was 'wrong' I see it as completely reasonable and it's not her reaction toward the vet nurse I am even concerned about but more her fear of being approached in general that has popped up that I am worried about and I'd like to find someway to manage or work through that fear than just avoiding all strangers and expect her to just never have an interaction with a stranger on lead. I can't guarantee that I will always be able to protect her from things that scare or stress her and it's because of this and that as you've pointed out even if it is 'normal doggy behaviour' it's no longer socially acceptable, that I think I need to do something. Not because I expect her to perfect... but because I can't expect every surrounding she's placed in to be perfect.

Quote from Hankdog

I think we have to train our dogs more because we train people less. Dogs have to be better behaved to deal with the people who are less so.

I so agree with this. The good old days when dogs roamed the streets and learnt doggy behaviour have gone, and they won't be coming back. Most Aussies live in the cities and most of them including many dog owners (DOLers excepted of course) haven't got a clue about doggy behaviour, and that's the way it is and will be. Let's face it politicians are not going to provide money for education programs either, so dog owners have to step up and be responsible and make their dogs public proof.

ETA My answer to the thread question is no. We have to keep up for our dogs' sake.

Edited by sarsaparilla

My answer to this question is "no".

Either they don't think at enough/at all OR they think their dogs are little people and that creates its own issues.

In the olden days of dogs roaming at will etc, people bought a pup because Misty down the street had a litter or they bought from registered breeders. Now we have people pumping out pups of questionable genetic combinations and where for some breeder's the temperament of mother and father doesn't matter a damn.

In the olden days dogs that displayed aggression died of lead poisoning and never got the chance to breed. Now some owners have a lot more invested in their dogs and will try all options before PTS. We also have more powerful kinds of dogs bred and sold to people who have no knowledge or, or interest in raising those dogs appropriately.

Many people don't seem to have much understanding of dog behaviour. That's not an over thinking issue.

I think about this too, particularly the difference between how we treated dogs and how they acted when I was a kid compared to now. When did it all change?

There are two things I often think about in regards to my own dogs now. The first is labelling them for their entire lives as rescue dogs. After a couple of years with me surely they have earned a release from that status. And secondly is their behaviour - what is good, what is bad and what is simply them. I actually like a dog with personality. As wonderful as it is to house sit for someone with perfect canine specimens I really do love the naughty things my dogs do, their quirks and crazy behaviours. I don't want perfection so have to accept some unpredictability comes with that. I know I have failed in some aspects as their trainer - no perfect recall and 'stay' seems to be an optional command. And other things seem to just be them - one gets over excited by lots of things and gets crazy face and one has no interest in meeting new dogs or humans and has reduced her own social circle over time. One eats things she shouldn't and one is eating my whole hand as I type this. One is constantly by my side like one of those fish that stick to sharks and the other has her own regime regarding when and how she engages. So? Isn't that what owning living things is all about, just enjoying their individuality? I put a lot of effort into minimising any harm they or others might suffer as a result of their quirks (and lack of obedience in some areas). They seem happy. I'm happy. None of us are perfect. Is it really that bad if we aren't causing harm amongst ourselves or to each other?

Having started a behavioural advice thread only recently though I am always very grateful for the knowledge and willingness to share here in DOL. We used several of the things suggested in that thread and have seen positive changes. I look at the advice as coming under the category of harm - if harm is happening to the dog, or by the dog to humans and other dogs then something urgent needs to be done. There has to be harmony (even if there is no perfection!).

My answer to this question is "no".

Either they don't think at enough/at all OR they think their dogs are little people and that creates its own issues.

In the olden days of dogs roaming at will etc, people bought a pup because Misty down the street had a litter or they bought from registered breeders. Now we have people pumping out pups of questionable genetic combinations and where for some breeder's the temperament of mother and father doesn't matter a damn.

In the olden days dogs that displayed aggression died of lead poisoning and never got the chance to breed. Now some owners have a lot more invested in their dogs and will try all options before PTS. We also have more powerful kinds of dogs bred and sold to people who have no knowledge or, or interest in raising those dogs appropriately.

Many people don't seem to have much understanding of dog behaviour. That's not an over thinking issue.

What caused dogs in the past to die from lead poisoning?

Nope I don't think we are. I pay very close attention to my pups behaviours from the day they are born, it enables me to successfully pick homes that will suit and give owners an idea of what to expect. For the dogs I choose to keep it enables me to adopt training techniques that suit the individual and raise the very best dog I can.

Paying careful attention to health, nutrition and behaviour in my opinion is not overthinking or over reacting, I wish more dog owners would, there'd be a lot more happier healthier well adjusted dogs out there and people might actually seek some help before problems escalate or health deteriorates.

Yes, a lot of the time, I believe we do. But the same goes for a lot of things: children, work places, diet, exercise. Some people see a niche and exploit it.

We all, including animals, suffer.

As above.

It really is all about making money $$$$ & making people believe they are not capable & they need an expert for just about every aspect of life. This leads to a nation of people who have no confidence, can't think for themselves & need direction & laws & rules for just about everything. Yes we will always have idiots, morons, people who have tunnel vision & people with a superiority complex who know the right way about everything.

Dogs are living animals not machines. They can't talk & we can make educated guesses, research, scientifically study & so on but sometimes we get things so wrong.

I think some expect nothing of them & some expect too much. As long as the dog is happy, healthy, under control, obeying its owner on the basics & not attacking people its not rocket science to achieve that much. More a matter of common sense, observation, firmness & kindness.

I think generally most people don't pay enough attention.

The other side of the coin is that many problem behaviours also represent actual suffering.

Think of the many behavioural problems that stem from anxiety, such as separation anxiety. These are issues that are actually affecting the dog's well being and therefore should ideally be addressed just as if the dog was physically suffering.

Guest Clover

I often think I was happier when I had no clue.

I do watch people with other dogs , the dog park for example, and I'm sure I have become far more wary of situations that I wouldn't have cared about before.

:thumbsup: This. I was a much happier more relaxed dog owner before all this information entered my brain.

Eta: I don't think it is a bad thing at all though that people want to raise the "perfect dog"

Edited by Clover