My Dog "purrs"

Scottsmum

So Scottie grumbles.

You can make him do it by rubbing his chest, or he'll often do it when he's sooking a cuddle off you but this last few weeks I've noticed he'll grumble in his sleep too. It's often punctuated with little sighs too... and it's not snoring. It's a purr.

It's so cat like it's just not funny. Have never known a dog to do it.

Anyone else?

My dobe x kelpie makes what I call "Harley noises". If you didn't know him, you'd think he was growling, but they're actually just noises of complete and utter contentment, usually accompanied by happy stretches and more moaning and groaning. He's an odd old boy :)

My deaf little Cavalier purrs when she is lying on my chest on my bed and I gently cup her head in my hands. This is the only time she makes that purring noise.

Because of my back issues I have to lie flat on my back on the bed frequently during the day. While I'm lying there reading my book she lies her body on my chest.

Lily, the exquisitely pretty tiny Tibbie that comes to stay,snorts to show she's happy. Her dad calls her Lily Snort Snort, which makes her snort more. I'm sure god meant her to purr, but something got lost on the way. :)

interesting! Late Dal made a subtle sound low in her throat which seemed to indicate contentment. Usually when we were just moving around the house together. Other family members never heard it.

He grumbles and sighs and you can get them out of his quite easily - a rub or a cuddle is all that's needed. But...there is also a 'pur'. Only while he's sleeping. Very hard to catch as its often while we're all in bed so i wake him reaching for my phone.

I've been trying to catch the little bugger all week but it's quite hard as he usually only does it in bed when we either have the TV on (his bed, in the lounge room) or when he's in the bed room bed and he's too far away to be audible to my phone.

We're in the study tonight with the heater on and I set my phone up next to him as he was 'grumbling' ... 5 minutes later, not a peep. Take the phone away... grumble ...grumble... GRUMBLE... He's the big foot of purring canines.