Toys For Extreme Chewers

tesslc

Hi all

I need some suggestions for toys for extreme chewers. Our SBT girl loves chewing but nothing lasts long enough to justify the costs. We bought two standard Kongs and they lasted two days. I bought one of the extreme Kongs (the black ones) and she had the top layer off in a week and the second layer by the next week. I can't afford $40 for 2-3 weeks of play.

I asked Petbarn if they had anything stronger - she suggested the Gorilla version of the Kong and gave it to me cheap as they no longer stock them. It felt like it was made of tougher material but in two days the top layer is pretty much destroyed.

Now she only has her chew toys inside in the evenings (and today as I was at home so she was inside during the day). When we are at work she has the Nylon bones which hold up a lot longer but are no good for inside as they scratch our couch.

Any suggestions? She loves her Kong but I cannot justify the cost for the little time that it takes her to destroy them!

I have an SBT girl with the same problem. I started making my own toys (tugs, pom pom balls and squeaky bones) on the basis I knew they wouldn't last long. but her real weakness is stuffing. I discovered the Hollee Mollee ball by JW and I stuff it with stuffing and bits of fleece fabric and she gets it between her paws and disembowels it with joy! The ball itself is still in pristine condition after a year and after she unstuffs it I just pick the mess up and stuff it back in and put the ball away until next time. We have a few of the JW toys here and the other she likes makes a crunchy sound - it has a plastic water bottle kind of material inside. She has chewed holes in the fabric that covers it but hasn't managed to puncture the plastic stuff and has fun chewing it.

The other toy that has lasted quite well is a long lycra plait with a ball on the end that hangs from the clothes line. We go outside and fling it in the air and she grabs it and takes the clothesline for a spin till she gets tired. Because it isn't on the ground she doesn't chew it, just grabs and holds onto it with her teeth.

Empty toilet rolls are an ongoing chewing favourite and don't really cost anything!

Really wow that's great. I was really disappointed with Kong they just said I must have bought the wrong size (I got the up to 30kgs size - my girl is 17kg). I will give the Goughnuts a try.

Thanks Little Gifts - my girl LOVES pulling the stuffing out of anything. I used to just buy soft toys from the op shop but I got sick of picking the stuffing up from around the yard. I guess if they are confined to inside toys it's not so bad.

Kelpiecuddles that was Kongs direct response. I didn't actually ask for a replacement from Petbarn but I did explain the situation and they certainly didn't offer a replacement. Maybe I should push harder.

Guest Clover

A lot of the Kong toys are no good for dogs that actually put effort into playing and chewing.

KC that's interesting. We have never been told that Kongs will exchange their toys. We have had many returned though and just have to say too bad.

I understand why most brands won't replace toys. Goughnuts are super heavy duty and tough but some dogs won't like them unless they really enjoy chewing big plain toys. Toys that are more exciting for dogs to engage them usually aren't as heavy duty. Determined dogs will destroy anything so it could send many places out of business to replace toys over and over. So for extreme chewers I always recommend Goughnuts first as they will replace the toys forever if they are chewed. I've only had two or three sent back for replacement ever.

For other dogs that aren't as hardcore I recommend Holee Molee Extemes, ultra balls, West paw stuff like jives and Hurleys, dura foam balls, cagey cubes etc. these toys are still extremely durable but a bit more fun and interactive.

ETA: grinz balls and jolly/scrambler eggs are great too

Edited by huski

Definitely Goughnuts, they are tough but also replace toys for life if they are chewed through to the red warning layer.

Bugger I threw out my ball after the Am Staff chewed it through to the red, I should remember to remember which ones have guarentees. She also ate two Hurley's!

I'm going to give the Goughnuts a go. My girl isn't fussy when it comes to chewing - as long as she can get a grip on it and chew she's happy. I've never seen a dog so determined to destroy something - it can keep her occupied all night if we don't distract her!!

Definitely Goughnuts, they are tough but also replace toys for life if they are chewed through to the red warning layer.

Bugger I threw out my ball after the Am Staff chewed it through to the red, I should remember to remember which ones have guarentees. She also ate two Hurley's!

Lol our Hurley got eaten by the ride on mower and is still going strong!

Will he chase a large ball(like basketball sized)? We have some similiar to this at work, they are in a number of sizes and are very hard and shiny so chewer dogs can't get their teeth in to them. Only really good for dogs that will play solo soccer around the hyard with their ball though.

post-6758-0-20994600-1408452816_thumb.jpg

I'm going to give the Goughnuts a go. My girl isn't fussy when it comes to chewing - as long as she can get a grip on it and chew she's happy. I've never seen a dog so determined to destroy something - it can keep her occupied all night if we don't distract her!!

I would go with the large/maxi original Goughnut in that case. It's the biggest toughest one :)

One took her two visits and a couple of weeks to destroy, the second one lasted two hours. She has Go-cart Tyres for toys at home.

One took her two visits and a couple of weeks to destroy, the second one lasted two hours. She has Go-cart Tyres for toys at home.

I was thinking of turning to some sort of tyres as a final option!!

Will he chase a large ball(like basketball sized)? We have some similiar to this at work, they are in a number of sizes and are very hard and shiny so chewer dogs can't get their teeth in to them. Only really good for dogs that will play solo soccer around the hyard with their ball though.

She fetches her Kong (what's left of it) and a tennis ball but nothing bigger. She'll only chase it 5-6 times before getting sick of it and laying down to chew.

Her favourite outside toys are palm fronds and coconuts but obviously these are no good for inside!

Hi, I have a couple of destroyers too, staffies - you gotta love them. The goughnuts look great,can you tell me where to buy them in Australia please.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have a couple of destroyers too, staffies - you gotta love them. The goughnuts look great,can you tell me where to buy them in Australia please.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Lee, we sell them on our website;

http://www.k9pro.com.au/online-store/dog-toys/indestructable/