10 Month Old Lab - How Easy To House-train?

Seren

Hi, Hoping I can find some advice quickly... I am looking at a 10 month old (entire at this stage) male Labrador. He has been an 'outside' dog because the seller said he is too exhuberant to be indoors. I was wondering if anyone could guide me as to if I buy him would he be easy enough to trian to come inside potty-wise?? I realise I would have to go through the taking him out to do his business til he gets the idea. But am just wondering if anyone has found hiccups with an older pup like this?? I would be desexing him when he got here.

Thanks hoping you can help me.. I have til 4 this afternoon to make my decision about him..

To be honest, I'd steer clear of him. Sounds like he hasn't had any training at all, and you'll have your work cut out for you. But if youre up for the challenge, go and meet him. Why do you only have until 4?

Mmm now I better do some homework hey...

The seller said she will hold him for me til 4 while I make my decision.. He is actually in Sydney... so I would be buying from only a picture of him on Gumtree. He woud still be a good price with the travel costs to bring him up here. 4 is when then the next person in line will be going to see him.

Maybe it is not a good idea to buy like this??

To be honest, I'd steer clear of him. Sounds like he hasn't had any training at all, and you'll have your work cut out for you. But if youre up for the challenge, go and meet him. Why do you only have until 4?

The seller said she will hold him for me til 4 while I make my decision.. He is actually in Sydney... so I would be buying from only a picture of him on Gumtree. He woud still be a good price with the travel costs to bring him up here. 4 is when then the next person in line will be going to see him.

Unless you trust the owner/breeder and/or are highly experienced I would not recommend buying a dog sight unseen in this situation.

How sad. It would seem this dog is destined to have a pretty unhappy life unless someone with the time and energy to devote to him takes him on.

Seren, considering you are still grieving for the loss of Lace, I would be inclined to not load yourself with difficulties and extra responsibilities. If you feel you could take on a dog with the behavioural problems (only because he has been failed by humans) as you have stated, well go for it. But you are still vulnerable and frankly leaping in at the deep end is fine in theory, but sometimes just too much in practice.

Oh, no no no no no. :laugh:

Gumtree is full of scammers, please don't buy an unseen dog, go through private rehoming or a rescue group and meet the dog. Please save yourself the heartache, would you rehome a dog to someone sight unseen without even talking to them? Nope, so don't buy one like that either. Plenty of good dogs around, take your time, maybe post in the rescue section exactly what you are looking for. :D

Thanks to everyone who has just helped me now..

The lady rang me to ask if she would be holding the pup for me and I asked her for 15 minutes to finish explaining to my husband. I rang her back and got message bank so left a message. The I rang again about 10 minutes later and she said that she had already rang the other people not to come that the pup was probably sold..

I felt awful because as my husband said we had maybe a 50% chance that he would be the right dog for us and was it worth the risk at those odds. So I decided that I would say no to the lady.

She was ok about it but I did think it was a bit premature of her to hold off the other people who were coming at 4 pm to look at him. I feel bad about it now, but if they were keen they would say they could still come look I would have thought.

Well, that was my experience today hey....

I keep thinking that if Lace were here we wouldn't be going through this.

But facts are hard things and the fact is that Lace is NOT here.

But I must thank you all for your help. It would be crazy to take the chance and then if it didn't work out how would I go through losing another dog? I really better take a breather and think about it all more....

Thanks again

I'd say it was more a 10% chance he might have been right for you, in fact it would be pure luck.....might not have even been a dog, there are really so many scammers selling (non existent) dogs (and other pets) online it's awful.

Seller sounds like she was only interested in the money anyway. Dodged a bullet there, take your time, you will find the right companion for your family.

Boy - am I glad you didn't rush in & buy thyis dog ! :hug:

an outside only entire male lab who I have not ever seen/touched is a dog i would have to think carefully about , and I've handled lots (and handed BACK lots, unfortunately)

half a step back - smile, breathe --and thank Lace for whiskering in your ear that perhaps you better go back to D O L ;)

Hmmm... funny that... one of my co-workers came to me this morning wanting to offload her 10 month old Lab boy... the lady's name wasn't Thelma, was it?

I advised my co-worker to contact Labradog Rescue for rehoming him.

T.

seren - some things to note when reading descriptions.

words to be WARY of :

exuberant

outside

bouncy

energetic

watch dog

needs company

clumsy

busy

...when he/she gets to know you...

chain

talkative

timid

shy

sensitive

:) A lot of these are scaled DOWN from things like CRAZY, SCARED, NERVOUS, A BARKER, etc etc .

A story you might like :

In my previous life, sourcing dogs from individuals .. one of the questions was always

"Is Spot/fido housetrained?"

This particular lady, sounding very confident says

"Oh yes! I've taught him to NEVER come near the house"

:( :(

true story .

Phew... close call for me and Holly and hubby? Thank goodness I have you gals and guys out there to ask what you think!! And at such short notice too. I mean I only found the dog this morning at 8 oclock....

Thankyou so much that I won't be tempted to do that again.... Yes, Persephone - Lace must still be watching out for me in amongst chewing up God's undies and socks.... and walls... like she did here, bless her. Well He might have ragged clouds now, might not be any walls in Heaven..

No tdierikx, not Thelma, so I will dodge her too then. It does make me realise I didn't ask the obvious ????? why why why was she wanting to sell such a "loveable, trainable, sweet 10 month old pup" anyways??? I mean to say if someone asked me if Holly was for sale I would say WWWHHHAATT my baby? I put a lot of work into her being like she is - a real sweetheart. I would never consider selling her to anyone let alone someone on the end of a phone way up in Qld....

Makes me think a bit that does.....! She was keen to have that dog on the transport and out of her sight me thinks????? Harder for me to return him if I am up here eh???

words to be WARY of :

exuberant

outside

bouncy

energetic

watch dog

needs company

clumsy

busy

chain

talkative

timid

shy

sensitive

:) A lot of these are scaled DOWN from things like CRAZY, SCARED, NERVOUS, A BARKER, etc etc .

A story you might like :

In my previous life, sourcing dogs from individuals .. one of the questions was always

true story .

Now that is sad - and I do believe you - a true story....

words to be WARY of :

exuberant

outside

bouncy

energetic

watch dog

needs company

clumsy

busy

chain

talkative

timid

shy

sensitive

A story you might like :

true story .

Now that is sad - and I do believe you - a true story....

It was hard to keep a straight face ....

When I was looking for another dog the add said ...

"Two year old desexed male Labrador. Fully trained and quiet. We are moving to a smaller place and cannot take our beloved dog with us."

It was almost local and I spoke a couple of times on the phone to the owner. It all sounded fair enough and we arranged to meet so that I could 'trial' the dog at my place over a weekend while they went away. Met in a neutral place and I'm not kidding, the dog EXPLODED from their vehicle and nearly tore the owners arms out as it careered totally out of control with a maniacle expression on its face. It showed no sign of recognising any commands whatsoever ...

We decided not to go ahead with the dog for our own sanity sake :eek:

When I was looking for another dog the add said ...

"Two year old desexed male Labrador. Fully trained and quiet. We are moving to a smaller place and cannot take our beloved dog with us."

It was almost local and I spoke a couple of times on the phone to the owner. It all sounded fair enough and we arranged to meet so that I could 'trial' the dog at my place over a weekend while they went away. Met in a neutral place and I'm not kidding, the dog EXPLODED from their vehicle and nearly tore the owners arms out as it careered totally out of control with a maniacle expression on its face. It showed no sign of recognising any commands whatsoever ...

We decided not to go ahead with the dog for our own sanity sake :eek:

:rofl:

been there done that . !!! there is something very, ermmm, scary about a very solid entire , out of control lab!

:eek: Really? Well, maybe my old Lab Bazza from my childhood was a purebred afterall... He was considered savage after he attacked a man who was trying to attack me.. story I started in the General Forum for interest of other 'dog hero' stories.

That old Bazza put a few people back in their cars in a hurry if he didn't like the way they parted their hair.

But it has made me realise I best do some serious homework before buying a dog..

Ranga - what if you had just rang up and had the dog sent up to you as I had half planned today? Not good...