10 Month Old Lab - How Easy To House-train?

Seren

Don't get me wrong :) I love labs - worked training them for more years than I care to remember ..and The only thing which would put me off having one again is the endless shedding ....

but as backyard 'pets' they grow out of that sloppy looselimbed cuddly stage and become strong, and often fat/large , and when folks do NOT train them , they can be a handful. Add to that the hormone factor ..and often these rehomed boys are frustrated, uneducated slobs.

I love labs too :) One of the best dogs I ever had was a beautiful female black lab. She ruled our whole household in her own way and was obedient and wonderful with my kids when they were growing up. A better watch dog than even my blueys! :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong :) I love labs - worked training them for more years than I care to remember ..and The only thing which would put me off having one again is the endless shedding ....

but as backyard 'pets' they grow out of that sloppy looselimbed cuddly stage and become strong, and often fat/large , and when folks do NOT train them , they can be a handful. Add to that the hormone factor ..and often these rehomed boys are frustrated, uneducated slobs.

Yep and being an intelligent breed they use that power for evil or good - whichever way they have been trained to think...

All up to the owner in the end I think.. how much time they are willing to spend moulding the thinking of their baby mind into an adult mind.

I read one ad where they were re-homing the pup because it was 12 months old and didn't "realise how big it had gotten and knocked over their toddler when the toddler was in the back yard". Now where was the training when they got the pup (because they would have had the child by then... did they think that the dog would wake up one day and say 'oh I am big now.. better not jump on the kid anymore'!!

Hi, Hoping I can find some advice quickly... I am looking at a 10 month old (entire at this stage) male Labrador. He has been an 'outside' dog because the seller said he is too exhuberant to be indoors. I was wondering if anyone could guide me as to if I buy him would he be easy enough to trian to come inside potty-wise?? I realise I would have to go through the taking him out to do his business til he gets the idea. But am just wondering if anyone has found hiccups with an older pup like this?? I would be desexing him when he got here.

Thanks hoping you can help me.. I have til 4 this afternoon to make my decision about him..

A 10month old male Labrador would be very easy to housetrain. My recent adoptee, a 6 year old black lab boy I adopted 4 months ago had lived his entire life as an outside dog on acreage because his useless owners couldn't be bothered to put the time and effort into training him, including housetraining. I had him housetrained in a couple of weeks, treated him as a pup and took him out very regularly and apart from a couple of accidents (my fault entirely as I didn't see him go to the outside door waiting to be let out) in the first week, he has responded extremely well and very quickly to housetraining, as have some of the other Labs I adopted who were even older. He has been an inside dog from the first day I brought him home as have all my Labs whether I have raised them from pups or adopted them and I put the time and effort into housetraining them. He has fantastic manners inside and is asleep on the couch next to me as I type this post.

It distresses me greatly to hear about yet another 10month old male lab youngster who is being rehomed as his useless owners haven't met his needs. Common theme with these youngsters is they are relegated to the outside, largely ignored and left to their own devices, receive no training, physical or mental stimulation and very limited interaction with their families. As a result, they become over the top exciteable, hard to control, challenging large adolescents. Makes me SO SO MAD :o

Hopefully this boy finds the right home with the right owner who will be able to meet all his needs and help him develop into a well adjusted, very happy and very loving Lab he was born to be. Despite his bad start to life with these idiotic owners, there is so much potential and youth on his side and I hope to hell he finds the right home, hopefully a Lab savvy home, as it will make the world of difference to this youngster. Labs are very easy to train with their strong desire to please, fantastic temperament and legendary love of food :D and Lab youngsters are like sponges, so there is an excellent chance of training this boy to be a great dog if given the chance with the right home and owner. :)

We successfully housetrained a 1 yr old from the pound. Its just like a pup, they eventually get it. Id be more concerned, in your situation, that you would be able to have a meet and greet with your other dog, as you really want a good friend for her. If you ended up with a ratbag who didn't get along with your other dog i think that would be not what you were wanting from this. Keep a clear focus, the right dog will come along.

:thumbsup: Thanks everyone.. I have gleaned a lot of thoughts and details from what you have all written..

Now hang on to your hats and seats... I have just sent off an enquiry email about a 9 month old beagle pup, male.

To a breeder on Dogzonline..

We had beagles when the girls were growing up and my daughter has just emailed me with the ad and said "Well Mumsy... you have had a lot of these in your time and know that they just lift their leg on Dad when it suits them"... And that is so true!! lol. One day at a show hubby was pleased as punch and was saying to me "Hey Dapper hasn't peed on me all day today".... but at that exact moment as if on cue the dog behind him did!! Wet pants at the show again... sigh.. they were the days

So maybe a beagle pup? What would Holly think of that? Gorgeous little breed of mischief they are... so loveable...I am getting old and dotty me thinks..

It distresses me greatly to hear about yet another 10month old male lab youngster who is being rehomed as his useless owners haven't met his needs. Common theme with these youngsters is they are relegated to the outside, largely ignored and left to their own devices, receive no training, physical or mental stimulation and very limited interaction with their families. As a result, they become over the top exciteable, hard to control, challenging large adolescents. Makes me SO SO MAD :o

You and me both labadore - there is a beautiful girl over the road from me. Just left to her own devices, walked a few times a week just dragging the woman along.

I've heard from other people in the neighbour that at one stage there were thinking of rehoming because she is "silly", "jumps up", etc etc.

Total drongoes and shouldn't be within 100kms of a dog.

A beagle ?

That's different!

Hope you can have a meet & greet if all sounds perfect.

Yes, persephone... I have covered a bit of territory this last few days so will sit on my hands a bit for a while and think.

It was my daughter's doing - thinking of a beagle. She sent me the ad in an email today and went down memory lane about her childhood with all the beagles we had. Well, we only owned 3, (nearly 4) in that time. But we were attached to Beagle Rescue and had a lot to do with them at that stage. The council was great about it - because no one complained about our yard or any noise although I do recall we were quite a noisy family back then.

Having said that - I was a lot younger then,,, and I also had 2 extremely active daughters who played and played with their beagle mates. Slept, ate and played with them. Showed, did agility, lure-coursing and obedience (I mean an obedient beagle??) I am older now so must consider what I would 'do' with a beagle.. they were always 'doing' something with the girls in those days. But then again I have been 'doing' play things with Holly all day so maybe not so different.

I have jumped about a lot lately, so best chill and think now...

Yep and being an intelligent breed they use that power for evil or good - whichever way they have been trained to think...

All up to the owner in the end I think.. how much time they are willing to spend moulding the thinking of their baby mind into an adult mind.

I read one ad where they were re-homing the pup because it was 12 months old and didn't "realise how big it had gotten and knocked over their toddler when the toddler was in the back yard". Now where was the training when they got the pup (because they would have had the child by then... did they think that the dog would wake up one day and say 'oh I am big now.. better not jump on the kid anymore'!!

right there; the bolded bit - that's right on the money! I adore Norty Brown Dawg Wilbur and put an enormous amount of time and energy into training him...on occasion we discuss what a frigging nightmare he'd be without training. He's big but not fat, he's happy, he's over friendly, he's strong, he's exuberant, and he's still a baby at 3 years old. Thankfully 3 years of training (and a lifetime more to come) has made him a dream of a dog: no digging, no barking, walks beside me on or off lead, recalls from several hundred metres, sits for a pat with his tail wagging at a ferocious speed laugh.gif , waits at the door for people to go in when told to wait (if you forget to tell him to wait he'll barge on in ahead of you laugh.gif ) , goes to his crate when asked and I can take him anywhere and he'll behave with lovely manners. When we're out and about in public we always get comments from strangers about his good manners and i'm quick to let them know he wasn't born like this and that it takes a lot of time and effort to raise a well mannered dog in public spaces. Many people have the notion that all labbies are born perfectly trained like Guide Dogs confused.gif and they're not! The three years of training were worth EVERY minute; i treat every outing as an opportunity to learn and practice what he already knows. Put in the effort and you'll be rewarded with a labby that fits right on in!

Seren, take your time and find the best labby for you and your family. Don't buy an older dog without seeing it first. If i were looking for an older labby i'd be looking at the breeder pages here on DOL or a reputable labby rescue organisation. I wouldn't go for a private sale as you have no idea what you're getting in terms of temperament etc