Is You Dog A Hero?

Seren

Just been going down memory lane here (looong way too lol).

Has your dog ever done something heroic? I would love to hear about it.

When I was a kid (loong time ago now), we had a Labrador (? purebred in those days?? not too sure). Anyway Bazza was an impressive dark golden colour. He was big too.

One day I was walking him up along the back roads. In those days you didn't have them on a lead they just ran around with you. He used to come with me when I went riding on the horse too - no lead just running free.

Well this day he was off chasing bunnies and a man stopped in a car (lonely road..) and tried to get me into his car. I whistled Bazza and he came running and straight past me and attacked the man who had me by the arm. Bazza just went for him and ripped the front of his pants right off him!! I had to pull him off the man who leaped back into his car holding his privates and tattered pants!

This is a true story - it actually got a mention in the paper at the time. At first I thought that Bazza and I were in trouble for what had happened until it was explained to me that no man should 'do that' to a little girl. Well, that man I am sure would never 'do that' again to a little girl who had a dog with her... He didn't know I had a dog with me when he started, it was only when I whistled Bazza and it was all too late for him that he realised maybe I wasn't such a good lonely target....

Just gone down memory lane for that one - but it really happened.

Old Bazza lived to a ripe old age and he was always considered 'savage' after that incident. I don't think he was savage at all really. He was the sweetest most obedient old boy any one could have hoped for. We got him as a tiny pup, only about 4 weeks old and he used to suck on my nightie at night time I remember. It makes me realise now how a dog will protect the ones he loves.

I would love to hear of stories of your "hero dog".

I've told my stories before. Mother and son rescue SBTs. The son was a nervous nelly. I lived on acreage and had a fall down my front stairs and was knocked unconscious. The son ran off and alerted the neighbours and the mother sat quietly by my side. I had some fairly serious injuries so would not have been able to get help myself even if I regained consciousness.

A couple of years later I moved into the suburbs with these two dogs. Not long after we moved in I was subject to a home invasion by three men. The dogs got the men out of the house and returned to my side hiding out in the back yard (even though they could've chased the men down the street through the open front door). Emergency services had no police to send so with them on the phone and the dogs by my side I had to go back into the house and search room by room to make sure they were gone and lock up all the house. A terrifying experience.

Moved into a new rental in a less than salubrious neighbourhood - and the first night I heard someone trying to open a window from the outside...

One 10 week old Rotti pup up on my bed and making the most amazing big dog growl soon saw the intruder off... they obviously had no idea the actual size of the dog... lol!

T.

I've told my stories before. Mother and son rescue SBTs. The son was a nervous nelly. I lived on acreage and had a fall down my front stairs and was knocked unconscious. The son ran off and alerted the neighbours and the mother sat quietly by my side. I had some fairly serious injuries so would not have been able to get help myself even if I regained consciousness.

A couple of years later I moved into the suburbs with these two dogs. Not long after we moved in I was subject to a home invasion by three men. The dogs got the men out of the house and returned to my side hiding out in the back yard (even though they could've chased the men down the street through the open front door). Emergency services had no police to send so with them on the phone and the dogs by my side I had to go back into the house and search room by room to make sure they were gone and lock up all the house. A terrifying experience.

WOW, Our dogs are such amazing beings aren't they?? I think they deserve medals..

Great to read, Little Gifts. :thumbsup:

Moved into a new rental in a less than salubrious neighbourhood - and the first night I heard someone trying to open a window from the outside...

One 10 week old Rotti pup up on my bed and making the most amazing big dog growl soon saw the intruder off... they obviously had no idea the actual size of the dog... lol!

T.

So great to read this tdierikx - I bet that guy needed to change his pants after that hey??

Good little man - I bet you hugged him close after that. :thumbsup:

Although there was no danger with this one, my dog certainly perceived there was!

When I was about 8, dad got me a rather feral puppy, pit bull x cairn little bugger of a dog. He barely came up to dads ankle when we got him from the RSPCA. We took him home and from then he slept on my bed. That first night we were home dad had an old family friend staying who was getting home late and hadn't been told we bought a pup. Dad had asked him to check on me before he went to bed. Dad woke to almighty hollering and growling and came running out to find his friend with our teeny little black puppy firmly attached to his leg while he jumped around trying to shake him off with no luck whatsoever. It took a while for dad to stop laughing and get him off, and for the rest of his life that dog didn't let anyone near me

Although there was no danger with this one, my dog certainly perceived there was!

When I was about 8, dad got me a rather feral puppy, pit bull x cairn little bugger of a dog. He barely came up to dads ankle when we got him from the RSPCA. We took him home and from then he slept on my bed. That first night we were home dad had an old family friend staying who was getting home late and hadn't been told we bought a pup. Dad had asked him to check on me before he went to bed. Dad woke to almighty hollering and growling and came running out to find his friend with our teeny little black puppy firmly attached to his leg while he jumped around trying to shake him off with no luck whatsoever. It took a while for dad to stop laughing and get him off, and for the rest of his life that dog didn't let anyone near me

No lol, PuddleDuck, this one reminds me of an incident when we had Rescue beagles in our home.

One night I went to the toilet in the middle of the night wearing a dark old tracksuit. One of the beagles we were rehabilitating at the time was sleeping on my daughter's bed and he bailed me up with heckles up like a she-cat, baring his teeth impressively until I convinced him who I was.

This little beagle went on to become an elderly lady's companion and he was always super-protective of her as well. They say that beagles are 'pussycats' but that one must have had a bad history and was always that way inclined. He did respond well while we had him but as I say, he became that elderly lady's guardian.

T.

So great to read this tdierikx - I bet that guy needed to change his pants after that hey??

Good little man - I bet you hugged him close after that. :thumbsup:

Woosie was her name... and she was my one true soulmate...

She chased my 6'4" Maori flatmate out of my room once when she was a wee pup too... poor bloke was just letting me know there was a phonecall for me. She took her guarding mummy while she sleeps job VERY seriously... lol!

She stood between me and another crazy flatmate who was waving a knife about one night too...

T.

Haha td, Woosie Who lol, Glad that she thought Mummy needing protecting.

My husband has just reminded me of another of Bazza's escapades. This was before we met and fell in loooovee.... Well before it actually but he remembers it well he said..

His brother used to work at a produce shed where there were lots of mice and cats. Our Bazza had the run of the town back then and used to go down and chase the cats on his way to his latest girlfriend's place. (Most of the pups in town at the time were golden...mmm not good but anyways).

Bro-in-law-to-be used to peg rocks at Bazza and Bazza used to retaliate.

One day I was going downtown and Bazza was running free as usual. Saw bro-in-law-to-be getting out of his car and chased him. Bro-in-law screamed like a girl and ran back and jumped back into his car... I would have too I have to say. Bazza was a big boy.

But anyway last year when bro-in-law heard that we had Holly and Lace.. he said "Humph, well I won't be visiting you again!!"

Now hubby has reminded me of the Bazza incident... :rofl: :rofl:

My nanny dog , an A C D X saved me from snakes on a couple of occasions - one which I remember - I was about 4 years old.

Our Lab we had after him - well, she would 'tell tales' - if we were doing something silly ..or trying to sneak away ..or fighting ..she would always go get Mum! Such a goody goody :love:

Yep, Zig saved me...

On 2nd October 2011, the police arrived on my doorstep at about 8.30am to tell me my 43 year old husband had been found dead at a mates place..

Three weeks and a couple of days later, after a 6 year battle with cancer I lost my heart dog, Ollie - he was 14.5 when he died..

It is still pretty raw, even now.

On 31st October I collected my first foster dog from the local pound and while we were there we spotted Zig, who came home with us the next day..

If it wasn't for this dog, I really don't think I would have kept it together like I did. He gave me a reason to get up and get out of the house..

I would swap this dog for anything

14271496265_1a957e7cfd.jpgDay 26 May - Pet (the worlds best dog).. by jamoore photos, on Flickr

My 1st Hero dog was a magnificent Irish Setter named Blue.

We were at a picnic by a very fast flowing river.

I wandered 'off' without my parents noticing. I was about 2 years old.

I took off towards the river. Blue came after me.

As I zig-zagged trying to get to that wate, Blue blocked me.

Each step from me meant Blue would give a sharp yelp.

That did alert my parents.

Just as I was about to take to the water, Blue gently put his mouth on my wrist just as my Dad arrived.

Blue loved his months of fresh bones for that rescue.

:love:

Yep, Zig saved me...

On 2nd October 2011, the police arrived on my doorstep at about 8.30am to tell me my 43 year old husband had been found dead at a mates place..

Three weeks and a couple of days later, after a 6 year battle with cancer I lost my heart dog, Ollie - he was 14.5 when he died..

It is still pretty raw, even now.

On 31st October I collected my first foster dog from the local pound and while we were there we spotted Zig, who came home with us the next day..

If it wasn't for this dog, I really don't think I would have kept it together like I did. He gave me a reason to get up and get out of the house..

I would swap this dog for anything

14271496265_1a957e7cfd.jpgDay 26 May - Pet (the worlds best dog).. by jamoore photos, on Flickr

:kissbetter::heart:

That's very sad Staffyluv. My thoughts are with you. It goes to show that our dogs can be Heros in many many ways and all of them are very important ways..

My 1st Hero dog was a magnificent Irish Setter named Blue.

We were at a picnic by a very fast flowing river.

I wandered 'off' without my parents noticing. I was about 2 years old.

I took off towards the river. Blue came after me.

As I zig-zagged trying to get to that wate, Blue blocked me.

Each step from me meant Blue would give a sharp yelp.

That did alert my parents.

Just as I was about to take to the water, Blue gently put his mouth on my wrist just as my Dad arrived.

Blue loved his months of fresh bones for that rescue.

:love:

:clap: Well done Blue!! It must have been amazing to have been told that story by your parents as you grew up, VizslaMomma! It reminds me again of a story - When one of my cousins was a toddler she was headed onto a busy road without her parents knowing at all. Their old dog Gunshot knocked her over and kept his paw on her until some passers-by stopped to 'save' the little kid being 'mauled' by a dog... When the people took my cousin into the yard her paents came out and it was discovered that the dog was actually saving my cousin's life. Gunshot got lots of bones after that too.

Just goes to show our stories of dogs are never-ending..

Staffyluv - I remember that time ... :kissbetter: he is a gorjus lad :)

He really is an amazing dog - I was so lucky his previous owners couldn't see that and that I got to have him in my life..

Thanks Seren - nothing can ever replace what we have lost..

Zig doesn't replace Ollie dog in any way. He is his own dog and I love him for who he is and what he does every single day.

My nanny dog , an A C D X saved me from snakes on a couple of occasions - one which I remember - I was about 4 years old.

Our Lab we had after him - well, she would 'tell tales' - if we were doing something silly ..or trying to sneak away ..or fighting ..she would always go get Mum! Such a goody goody :love:

:) Now there is something about dogs and snakes I think persephone.. For your dog to save you when you were only 4 years old, it goes to show that they really do protect the young. Lucky that she didn't get bitten in the process but.

And it sounds like your Lab was a 'mummy's girl' telling on you kids hey.. :D They are a bit too clever at times I think.

Staffyluv - I remember that time ... :kissbetter: he is a gorjus lad :)

He really is an amazing dog - I was so lucky his previous owners couldn't see that and that I got to have him in my life..

Thanks Seren - nothing can ever replace what we have lost..

Zig doesn't replace Ollie dog in any way. He is his own dog and I love him for who he is and what he does every single day.

Staffyluv, I agree with you that nothing can ever replace what we have lost. And I feel so much for you.

Zig made room in your heart in his own special way by the sounds of it. He came to you when you needed him; not to replace your dear Ollie ever but to help you along the road again. What a beautiful gift he has obviously given to you.

I will remember that when I get a new mate for Holly.... Thankyou for sharing :heart:

I so wish I had a hero dog...your dogs sound amazing. Once I told a lady that Jake was a rescue. It was right after I got him and I was still a bit raw from losing Hank.

"What does he rescue?" she asked looking curiously at my lump of a dog.

"Well me from being a pathetic old woman who bursts into tears every two minutes." It's kind of heroic.