Pet Insurance

DD33

I want to compare pet insurance companies. Is there a list anywhere on DOL? If not, any suggestions please?

No there's no list on DOL. We don't all have the same needs with pet insurance. You need to look at Choice, they'll have listed their preferences and recommendations.

The other way is to do your own research and read what each pet insurance company has to offer and definitely read their PDS for general exclusions and breed exclusions. This is what I did and it's tedious and time consuming.

I'm ok now with the company I chose but there were a lot of teething problems and they do increase their premiums by a massive amount each year.

Please read the fine print for any insurance

I started with a monthly premium of $17 for a British bulldog when I started to claim it rose within 2 years to $68 per month because " of the breed and age" ..... What a load of #^{£{£<^<>}

That's when We discovered our little fella couldn't have any more ops without dying due to a collapsing palate so we cancelled the policy that's when they hit us with " you will have to pay the monthly premium until the end of the 12 months from the time you took the policy out.

We have been paying $68 per month for NOTHING until Oct this year because that's the fine print. Pet insurance is disgusting the way they bleed you dry. You see they failed to mention we would have to pay until the renewal date.

Please read the fine print we will have insurance for all babies in the future, that's a no brainer for our precious babes but will be very careful where we go

• 2 weeks later...

Found something interesting and somewhat erm...

Got a promo code for m edib ank private pet insurance as an existing member...

and went and played with with their online quote system.

They have Australian Cattle Dog ( Cross )

and Australian Heeler (Cross)

listed separately

and lo - the Heeler is $2 per fortnight cheaper than the Cattle Dog - go figure.

PM me if you want the promo code - it's supposed to get you 15% off... but I found the price differences were a lot bigger than that. I expect the prices might also vary by post code too. Tho I put the same post code in.

The promo ends at the end of November, so I will wait until my regular renewal comes in and compare. I expect that one will still be cheaper because my dog has been with them since a puppy and I haven't made any claims. And Medibank won't price match - I've tried that before tho it might be worth trying again.

Pet insurance in Canada is sooo cheap, going by the link you provided. I wonder why it is so expensive here.

It's not only expensive but they also have us jumping through hoops when we make a claim. They could do to take a lesson from Canada. The problem here is that most of our pet insurance is underwritten by Hollards so there's very little competition and they can do what they like. If we want to insure our animals we have to cop it or go without.

Pet insurance is a market other insurance companies need to consider. It's a growing market that's virtually untapped and with competition the prices would decrease and there would be more choice in the plans. This would result in more pet owners insuring their animals

It's strange that other insurance companies don't seem to be aware of this untapped market. They're very darned competitive in all other areas of insurance.