Both Sick Again Tearing My Hair Out.

Charjas

Hi all. Haven't been in for a while since asking about Jaspers itching. Update to this, I was to see a behaviourist or dermatologist but she suggested some tests first. Jasper had blood test which showed low thyroid. They are going to do another to see which T thingy it is. He also went on some cortisone to see if he stopped itching , which he did, and some anxiety tablets. I stopped the anxiety tabs because he was too quiet and off his food. Cortisone now finished an he is starting to scratch again. Hasn't licked his paws like usual though so it's now 2 months since he had no hair on his foot. I have made sure the groomer doesn't shave his feet. It's seems that aggravates him and he licks. I also don't put on any more creams or sprays.

My other concern is that they both keep getting sick. In May jasper did these red jelly poos and then few days later Charlie. Vet put on flagyl and all cleared but every month or so same thing. It's usually Charlie starts then jasper. Last month I'd forgotten the interceptor so vet gave drontal and flagyl again. Charlie only did the red jelly poo once. Now again this week. Red jelly poo then started to settle. Now today it's jasper. Vet did stool test and Charlie has tapeworm eggs jasper clear. Not sure how as he's pooing today. Gave both interceptor again but it's only 2 weeks since they had it. Is there better treatment.

I did catch them eating possum poo this week so fenced that area off and going to spray some SCAT along the fence.

Now I've got an upset tummy. Perhaps a wormer for me too. Have washed bedding, floors etc.

Driving me nuts.

Edited by Charjas

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I don't know your full story but remember that dogs pick up vibes from you, so stop stressing. Have you tried apple cider vinegar> Splash a little in their food and gradually build up to about a teaspoon a day. Also apply to itchy areas on the skin?

Leave them be, feed a natural diet, plenty of exercise, and no drugs if possible (just the basic preventatives for worms and fleas), especially no cortisone or medicated shampoos.

Edited by Florise

keep a diary Every day .

walks

grooming

washing

visitors

time alone

visiting a park

medications

House cleaning

carpet cleaning/deodorising

dog bedding change

gardening

weed spraying

food

treats ( incl human food )

bones

water bowls washed/changed

is there anything which seems to happen a day or so before they get sick?

Edited by persephone

Sorry I do not know your history and I am not fully understanding however...Interceptor is given as a heartworm preventative.

It is given monthly and will control round worm but not tapeworms.

Drontal is for tapeworms. Flagyl is an antibiotic for gut problems.

First thing I would look at is what you are feeding your dogs?

Second thing is what are you using to control fleas?

Sorry I do not know your history and I am not fully understanding however...Interceptor is given as a heartworm preventative.

It is given monthly and will control round worm but not tapeworms.

Drontal is for tapeworms. Flagyl is an antibiotic for gut problems.

First thing I would look at is what you are feeding your dogs?

Second thing is what are you using to control fleas?

They have interceptor every month and on the pack it says for all worms so I gave this again. If it wasn't suitable they should have told me that!!!

Diet has been chicken at night and biscuits in morning although since they've been sick on and off it's mostly chicken rice sweet potato and for last month adding biscuits back in. Charlie was a but off Sunday but started improving through the week. Then both today. Gas audible as poo shoots out. I think it's from the possum poo. So I go back to bland for few days then add biscuits they had holistic select for about a year but vet said it was rubbish so now I have some science diet hair ball stuff which is forvCATS. GO FIGURE. both toy poodles. Charlie 6 jasper 3. This year both always sick. I haven't varied diet much because Charlie sensitive stomach. Used to feed chicken necks and biscuits but switched to plain chicken. Charlie had low liver reading at Christmas and was supposed to get another blood test but in march he had his appendix out. So at times when he's off j think it's his liver or such but then few days later jasper gets it. Too coincidental if both have jelly poo and vomitting. This week u did buy a BBQ chicken but I do on't give any skin.

I don't give flea treatment in winter because Charlie vomits 2 days after and they don't have fleas they don't go to parks or near other dogs. They walk each day around thd block and stay inside mostly. I hadn't noticed possum poo on pavers but j think that starts it.

I'm giving ENSAL twice a day.

When they have flagyl it clears up straight away. And it's been around years because I've had it. Their diet doesn't change much. Charlie had always been sensitive. Not only after flea treatment but also vomits after interceptor. They don't have treats. Whatever it is it passes from one to the other. But in 6 years this is the first time ( this year) I've seen this jelly stuff v

keep a diary Every day .

walks

grooming

washing

visitors

time alone

visiting a park

medications

House cleaning

carpet cleaning/deodorising

dog bedding change

gardening

weed spraying

food

treats ( incl human food )

bones

water bowls washed/changed

is there anything which seems to happen a day or so before they get sick?

Are you saying that you are feeding your dogs Science diets FOR CATS :confused: I didn't think you could feed cat food to dogs. & Yes, you need to give a wormer that treats tapeworm. Usually you do this every three months.

Water changed every day

Walks every day usually

No parks

No other dogs

No treats

No bones since stopping chicken necks

No spraying it's been raining for weeks.

No carpet cleaning

Our routine is same.

Kids not here so they don't feed things

I did give some Greek yoghurt this week but that should nt do it.

Could be the BBQ chicken

Could be the possums poo.

Could be the ensal???

Are you saying that you are feeding your dogs Science diets FOR CATS :confused: I didn't think you could feed cat food to dogs. & Yes, you need to give a wormer that treats tapeworm. Usually you do this every three months.

I didn't choose the biscuits. The vet did I think because of Charlie's stomach. I think some have different protein

Not entirely sure. And as for the interceptor. I was told to usd it Each month and on box it says tapeworm. Yet I researched the drug for tapeworm and it not in interceptor. . I even called another vet who said it's ok. Surely the bloody vet knows I need another thing then ???

Today they rang with the results and told me to give both another interceptor which they had 6th August.

I didn't choose the biscuits. The vet did I think because of Charlie's stomach. I think some have different protein

Not entirely sure. And as for the interceptor. I was told to usd it Each month and on box it says tapeworm. Yet I researched the drug for tapeworm and it not in interceptor. . I even called another vet who said it's ok. Surely the bloody vet knows I need another thing then ???

Today they rang with the results and told me to give both another interceptor which they had 6th August.

Since July 24.

Before that they were on holistic select fish

I looked back in my diary and all this started in May with jasper pooing red jelly then it settles and starts again but if they're not getting right work treatment perhaps that's it.

I don't care if Jasper's test was clear he's identical symptoms to Charlie although he's pooed less tonight.

He's not as sensitive as Charlie and Charlie has had other things with liver enzyme bring high. Do perhaps he's affected more.

I must say despite the symptoms this time they're not moping around.