Gsd Breeders

gsd114

Hi Everyone,

Im new here and have done a search but not a lot has popped up. Im wanting to get a working/Oldstyle German Shepherd, not the show style. I have a few breeders in mind and was wanting to get some reviews on them if possible you can PM me if you prefer. Im looking at going for maybe a Von Forrell or a pup from German Shepherd World out at Maroota in NSW I think the kennel name is Cujoraj.

Thanks in Advance

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to be careful with working line GSD's as some are not bred for versatility as they should be and some are purposely bred high in prey drive, high in aggression or both to suit specific working or sporting roles. Working line GSD's can be a handful of dog for pet owners inexperienced in this type of dog or not in a position for dedicating training at an advanced level. I have experienced many pet owners liking working line GSD's for appearance and colour, buy one and by 14/15 months old they can't handle them. Not to say this is the case, but just putting it out there for consideration.

Show line dogs generally present dogs more suited to the pet market as many of the show line breeders are extremely skilled at selecting breeding pairs of stable character and temperament.......not that working line breeders don't, but what can be a bit unstable or extreme for a better word from a pet perspective can be a workability enhancement for certain disciplines.

It's helpful if you know the lines and what they produce or if not, select a working line breeder who can provide the type of dog you are looking for :)

I'm fine with large dogs and working breeds have had them for over 20yrs. I want a working gsd due to the fact they are a bit more robust than the show style which I have and have trained to a high standard. Obviously I don't want a dog breed for police work but there are various levels of working dogs. Which is why the I want to find the right breeder who knows there dogs and can choose the right pup for my needs.

quote name='Amax-1' timestamp='1408886967' post='6549721']

You need to be careful with working line GSD's as some are not bred for versatility as they should be and some are purposely bred high in prey drive, high in aggression or both to suit specific working or sporting roles. Working line GSD's can be a handful of dog for pet owners inexperienced in this type of dog or not in a position for dedicating training at an advanced level. I have experienced many pet owners liking working line GSD's for appearance and colour, buy one and by 14/15 months old they can't handle them. Not to say this is the case, but just putting it out there for consideration.

Show line dogs generally present dogs more suited to the pet market as many of the show line breeders are extremely skilled at selecting breeding pairs of stable character and temperament.......not that working line breeders don't, but what can be a bit unstable or extreme for a better word from a pet perspective can be a workability enhancement for certain disciplines.

It's helpful if you know the lines and what they produce or if not, select a working line breeder who can provide the type of dog you are looking for :)

They are popping up alot with my research. I will definitely contact them. Thank you...

www.monsimbee.com.au A breeder I could not recommend high enough. They are located on the central coast. You can contact hem via the breed pages. Karen would sort the right dog for you. Good luck

I can also highly recommend Monsimbee. I would definitely avoid German Shepherd World - I don't think they do any health testing, don't trial/compete with their dogs and don't provide pedigree information about their breeding dogs. Happy to be corrected but that was my impression ...

Do you want a working line dog (along with their drive ) or just an old style shepherd? There are breeders out their breeding lovely old style GSD's for per homes. I've me a few but don't remember the kennels.

I can also highly recommend Monsimbee. I would definitely avoid German Shepherd World - I don't think they do any health testing, don't trial/compete with their dogs and don't provide pedigree information about their breeding dogs. Happy to be corrected but that was my impression ...

No as far as I know they do all the testing and breed beautiful dogs etc they are simply not registered with any org to be able to provide registered pedigrees

Yes they do test there stock,hips and elbows as well as a few other thing's. The pups seem big healthy but the vibe I got just wasn't right for me. I know a few people that have pups from them and they are great as adults.

Yes, the ones in Steve's link are not likely to be high prey drive :)

I would avoid German Shepherd World.

I second that with GSD World.......Warren's pups (as per the link)I have seen a few are generally good stable dogs not overly driven.

• 3 months later...

It was my wife that asked this question. She has done endless amounts of research re GSD working line breeders. In all research nothing bad about Von Zane came up. They are on our list to consider if we decide to get another GSD once our girl goes over the rainbow bridge, she wants one I don't.

1419299957[/url]' post='6616197']

It was my wife that asked this question. She has done endless amounts of research re GSD working line breeders. In all research nothing bad about Von Zane came up. They are on our list to consider if we decide to get another GSD once our girl goes over the rainbow bridge, she wants one I don't.

I bet you end up with one then laugh.gif

Hopefully not, I do love the breed but there health issues are just too much.. The working lines are much better but still not great. I think I have turned her around to a Anatolian Shepherd. Met some breeders recently and spent some time with there dogs and my wife has changed her mind but that's this week.