Important Request For Allerzoit And Grumpette

Brandiandwe

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's White having the bed head :) I thought it was black in the second one, but it's white. Poor love - her hair is just not behaving today!

Rotty's ideally should have a totally black mouth, but it's something we struggle with - we tend to have mottled black and pink mouth pigment. Puppies often start out light and then darken, and these guys are still doing that - yellow probably has the best mouth pigment at the moment :)

Oh, I think White's my little fuzzy headed fave now :love:

Interesting about the pigment, I've certainly seen the mottling and filling in in other breeds/mixes but hadn't thought about it in Rottis, I guess because they don't have white on them it hadn't occurred to me.

Slightly OT, but when Quinn, my Aussie Shepherd was growing it looked to me like the amount of pink pigment on her nose stayed the same but as she grew bigger the new skin was black so the pink bits ended up inside her nostrils (you can still see bits) but I've seen other vey spotty pink noses fill right in, so is it a case of the pink skin turning black or of new skin growing in black so the pink looks proportionately less... anyone know?

Yeah, that's White having the bed head :) I thought it was black in the second one, but it's white. Poor love - her hair is just not behaving today!

Rotty's ideally should have a totally black mouth, but it's something we struggle with - we tend to have mottled black and pink mouth pigment. Puppies often start out light and then darken, and these guys are still doing that - yellow probably has the best mouth pigment at the moment :)

Spot on, mouth pigment is a real nemesis. However, I noted (as did one of the judges) that most of the dogs (almost all of them) being shown in WA that have been locally bred have got black mouths??? Go figure, the breeders over there seem to have got it right.

Breed Standard states - Lips: Black, close fitting, corner of mouth not visible, gums as dark as possible.

Then goes on to explain faults, though not disqualifying - Lips: Pendulous, pink or patchy, corner of the lips visible.

So breeders all aim for black, but any pink lips, gums, gum lines, corners can be difficult to breed out.

Also there are so many beliefs and ideas on environmental factors, hormones and temperament that may contribute to mouth pigment. Unfortunately nothing scientific.

Breeders all do what they can to tick this mouth pigment box, but at the end of the day there is no perfect dog and a working breed does not run around or work on it's mouth color :D

Rottweiler breeders and enthusiasts are very lucky as we have a very thorough FCI BS, which is super helpful when we learn it, study it and use it as a guide when we breed.

Of course all BSs can be and are subjective to a degree. For example, it does not actually state that any pink in the gum color is a fault at all. And what is "as dark as possible" ??

Puppies are looking awesome allerzeit. How is your picking going :D

Edited by Starkehre

Breeders all do what they can to tick this mouth pigment box, but at the end of the day there is no perfect dog and a working breed does not run around or work on it's mouth color :D

And, ultimately, ain't that the truth! We still have to be careful to not throw the baby out with the bathwater :)

Puppies are looking awesome allerzeit. How is your picking going :D

Picking? Picking?? You mean I have to pick one??? :laugh:

I'm trying to not pick too much at the moment, until they're a little more mature, but they are all still very nice pups. I still gravitate towards the three bigger girls, but at the same time the 4 smaller ones are pretty darn yummy too!

Time will tell in the coming weeks as personalities start to show and I can get a better idea of body structure as they get more stable on their feet :D

LOL. Yeh I hear ya allerzeit. Still, it's fun to see how your opinions change each day/week as they mature. And quite often at week 8 you end up back with what you picked wet anyway :D

I look forward to seeing your new baby at our RCV show some time in the near future :)

LOL. Yeh I hear ya allerzeit. Still, it's fun to see how your opinions change each day/week as they mature. And quite often at week 8 you end up back with what you picked wet anyway :D

I look forward to seeing your new baby at our RCV show some time in the near future :)

:thumbsup:

Photos!!!

Photos!!!

Oh, I hope so! Please tell TT line to stop being prohibitively expensive! Unfortunately, it's the cost of bringing dogs to the mainlaind makes it impossible to do at the moment. Maybe November next year.... says me who was going to come to the show November this year.... (mind you puppies put paid to that idea :p )

It's weaning time :D

10688057_10152838960559078_3225263662993326910_o.jpg

10696297_10152838960524078_164242402935823365_n.jpg?oh=12a7566f9f7598da25703f6ecd353093&oe=54F6771D

10703725_10152838960529078_92744449988935924_n.jpg?oh=4efb0932d1f82a311313ae8d8bbc97ee&oe=54C60ABB&__gda__=1422031619_8a4e684ad2348dc328c7d140af0ee3f1