teekay

Chicken drumsticks, yay or nay?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feed chicken drumsticks to you dogs

• yes, had no problems
    • No, don't want to risk it
    • No, have had problems in the past
    • Have fed in the past, had no problems

I've been meaning to ask this on here for a while now. I have read numerous times that when feeding raw, weight bearing bones should be avoided because of their risk of splintering and or they are too hard and can break teeth. Obviously the chicken drumsticks are not going to break teeth but I suppose they may fit in the first category, so, my question is; Do you feed chicken drumsticks and have you ever had an issue?

I used to feed wings but read somewhere that they didn't have enough meat on them so the bone to meat ratio was way out and drumsticks were better, so I started feeding drumsticks and have for the past year or so. No problems so far but have I just been lucky or is the risk pretty low?

Decided to do a poll (my first one, hope I did it right :) )

Edited by teekay

Ditto Sheena.

I have fed them. I would much prefer frames. But if the supplier has only drumsticks, I'll take them. This hasn't happened very often. Never had a problem with drumsticks, but they seem riskier than frames. I'd avoid feeding them to a small dog or puppy. I don't much like wings either.

I've avoided feeding drumsticks because I tend to worry about that long, thin sharp bone most of them have, but I don't know if they really do pose a real risk or not. I do feed wings occasionally and they often have the little drumette bit attached, I have had no problems with those.

'Chicken' legs are hardly the same as bones from a mammal - they are constructed to be light - so have a lot of air spaces, They are also not hard from weight bearing, really , as the poor chooks only live 6 weeks or so, and don't walk much at all...

Remember , dog stomachs are made to digest bone ..and I think chicken bone would digest pretty quickly before causing problems .

I have fed, and do feed them ...but prefer feet , or turkey wings :)

I feed chicken frames, turkey necks, sometimes chicken drumsticks, but my dogs REALLY love turkey drumsticks. Mind you, sometimes the meat is almost the same size as their head, so their eyes pop our when they see them and their other meal of the day needs to be adjusted accordingly, but they've been find. They also don't eat the long sharp bits and leave them for me to pick up (or DH top stand on).

I have fed drumsticks but only when I couldn't get frames. Frames have much softer bones and I just feel a bit safer with them. Plus, they can be stuffed with meat and frozen, which the dogs enjoy in the warmer months.

I will buy them just to change things up.

I buy drumsticks, chicken wings, turkey necks, turkey wings and lamb ribs most of the time - I also buy brisket bones but they seem to be really fatty these days and he doesn't do well with a lot of fat.

Guest Clover

I no longer feed them after one dog choking to the point of unconsciousness. We thought she was a goner. But we were able to get the bit she was choking on back up thankfully and get her going again.