At What Age Do We Stop Getting New Dogs?

Aleksandra 157

When I hear about rescuers refusing to let someone in their sixties have a dog because they are too old I am quite amused. When you are in your twenties forty is so old. When you reach forty, sixty is old, then when you reach sixty, eighty is old. For me once you reach seventy you are allowed to call yourself elderly.

We also need to remember that the new retirement age is seventy, and that people are living longer. The life expectancy for a woman is around eighty four.

I am retired and I love having the time to spend with my dogs and to spoil them in a way I never had time for before.

Individuals may be living longer, but they are not necessarily living better or meaningful lives and able to look after their dogs and/or cats.

It is like quoting deaths in road accidents as proof that people are driving more carefully and responsibly. You only need to take a look at the numbers of people totally or partially incapacitated to know that that conclusion is rubbish.

That is off topic but use of stats to push an agenda makes me cross :D :D

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that i'll always be thinking of my pets first. Unless you have someone to take a pet on, then I believe you shouldn't be taking on pets that are likely to outlive you.

As an example, a friend's mother passed away - at 93. Not really unexpected but I was totally shocked to see a Facebook request to find the 4 year old cat that she owned, a new home within a fortnight or that would be that. I'm sorry but I found that to be totally selfish, as much as I'm sure the kitten would have brought some joy for an older person, there was no one in the large family willing to take the cat on.

Rescuers are always being asked to take on pets for people who've died and the family don't want the animal, or for people going into nursing homes.

There are definitely genuine cases where things can unexpectedly go wrong and people aren't that old but a lot of it has been due to selfish ownership.

I don't think 59 is too old - I just rehomed a puppy to a lady of that age.

None of us know how long we have when we take on a pet. People can die when quite young as the result of an accident. Cancer or other illnesses can strike at any time. Why single out people of a certain age and who you believe are at death's door as being irresponsible for wanting a pet? Have you ever heard of ageism? Younger families leave animals at the pound too.

A pet can be wonderful company for someone living alone and can give them a reason to get up in the morning and to go out for a walk every day and help them to live a longer happier more fulfilled life.

If I was to go out and get a pup tomorrow it would not be selfish ownership. I would be offering a dog a wonderful home and the dog would be enriching my life and I do matter and I am entitled to happiness just as much as the next person. That said I wouldn't want a pup though. I would prefer an older settled dog. I have had my share of pups and their destructive ways. :D

59 is so young. Whoever would think it remarkable that a 59 year old was getting a pup? Why on earth shouldn't they? :)

I knew a lady in her eighties that bought a Labrador puppy. She had the means though. She hired a top notch trainer to help her get past the puppy age and get the dog walking nicely etc. She walked the dog herself every day. She also left money to the dog and had someone lined up to care for it if she ever passed away.

So I think it can work. I know people that have decided nope that's it at a certain age as they didn't feel it was fair anymore.

My plan is if I still need a canine is to adopt elderly dogs from rescue. Its not like there aren't thousands looking for homes that would be more suited to the slower pace of life. That's assuming Im up to it and I have the money to provide for them.

My mum a Golden Retriever enthusiast and former obedience trainer and competition obedience entrant in her younger days bought her last Golden pup at 61. She was fit and fully functional and when her old boy passed, she bought another one as she had done as long as I can recall. She claimed this one would be her last given her age but his passing at 73 she lasted 5 weeks without a dog in her life and bought another Golden pup....actually a breeder friend gave her pup from her current litter.

The pup was good for her, gave her a purpose in life, she trained him, walked him every day, nothing really changed although given her age she did things more slowly. At 80 years old, mum developed dementia and was commissioned to a nursing home....we took the dog and visited her with her dog twice a week. Although in her condition she thought the dog was the boy she had in the early 80's who was her last obedience titled dog, but dogs to mum were part of her life age didn't matter. She's 86 now and her old boy passed late last year and we take a GSD up to see her weekly. She tells us weekly how GSD's are not her cup of tea but interacting with a dog still sparks her up :)

Myself, I am 53 and still actively train working dogs, but I wonder bodily in the future how long I can sustain the activities with high drive dogs?

I hope that i'll always be thinking of my pets first. Unless you have someone to take a pet on, then I believe you shouldn't be taking on pets that are likely to outlive you.

As an example, a friend's mother passed away - at 93. Not really unexpected but I was totally shocked to see a Facebook request to find the 4 year old cat that she owned, a new home within a fortnight or that would be that. I'm sorry but I found that to be totally selfish, as much as I'm sure the kitten would have brought some joy for an older person, there was no one in the large family willing to take the cat on.

Rescuers are always being asked to take on pets for people who've died and the family don't want the animal, or for people going into nursing homes.

There are definitely genuine cases where things can unexpectedly go wrong and people aren't that old but a lot of it has been due to selfish ownership.

My parents are in their mid 80s and have silky bantam hens, finches and a cat who is only about 3 years of age. His mum was a feral cat and he was one of the oodles of kittens she left at mum's place. Many found homes through neighbours and a local cat rescue group. The older feral ones went to the pound. Back when mum managed to gain the trust of her cat she was very spritely and healthy and none of us gave it a second thought. But over the last year she has really aged and is getting dementia. She looks after dad who has his own health issues, so if she becomes unable to care for the animals we will have some very urgent decisions to make. We have three dogs here and could not safely take on the chickens and cat. There is no other family or extended family who are overly fond of animals. I am not worried about rehoming the chickens (and will probably rehome the finches with their lovely aviary) but the cat that my mum adores so much is just your average tabby. No-one will probably want him. As it becomes clearer that mum can no longer care for the animals (and herself) I will do my damndest to try and find a cat lover with a cat run who might be willing to take him on if I offer to cover his costs for the remainder of his life. He is fine with other cats and lives in their covered verandah rather than in the house by choice now. I may even need to kennel him for a while if the timing doesn't work out as I couldn't risk leaving him there alone and just popping in to feed him. We would of course visit him regularly and take mum if she is capable if he had to be kennelled for a period. I'm not sure what else to do. Putting down a healthy animal because I can't find him a home doesn't sit well with me. Nor does staying for an extended period in a kennel really, but what other options would I have? My parents certainly didn't think that far ahead when they took on a homeless kitten that could live to be 20.

So yeah, I guess I'll have to be sensible sometime in my early 70s and say no to anything with a potentially long life span. I honestly couldn't bear to let a dog down.

I have been written into wills to be left 6 dogs, I am just hoping that I don't have them all arrive at once!

I make sure that the owners tell me what they would like done, ie one is very elderly so he would be euthed and buried with his owner. I have breeder contacts where applicable and find out a fair bit about the dogs so I can fidn tehm the best home. These people know that I will not necessarily keep all these dogs but I owuld find them the very best home possibly and keep my eye on them and take them back should it be necessary.

I believe that not matter what your age you should have a plan for your animals should the worst happen. I have seen many times where people have passed away and none of thier family want the animal and sometimes otherwise healthy animals are presented for euthanasia because no-one in the family wants them but they "know" their family member would hate them to be rehomed. In actual fact I am quite sure their previous owner would prefer them healthy and appropriately rehomed than euthed.

Your family situation has a lot of bearing on the decision too. When I bred my first BC litter,I had a puppy to sell with a full white face. No one wanted her so I still had her advertised at 11 weeks. A dear woman aged 83, rang to enquire. She lived on 5 acres and was the carer for her invalid husband. They had downsized to the 5 acres from a larger farm and had owned BCs all their lives. She cried when I told her the puppy had a white face as she had once owned one and always wanted another. Alas, she couldn't afford the puppy so our conversation ended. The next day a young man called to ask if the puppy was still for sale as he wanted to buy it for his Grandmother who had already called. He assured me that as soon as his Gran was unable to care for the dog, she would come to his family. He came along with his kids to buy the puppy to deliver as a surprise to his Gran and the kids wanted to keep her then and there but they delivered her straight to their Gran, who called me when they arrived with her. I don't think I have ever heard anyone as happy to have a puppy. That little dog had a wonderful life with her very capable elderly owner who had the knowhow, space and family back up to take on a puppy at that age.

My mum a Golden Retriever enthusiast and former obedience trainer and competition obedience entrant in her younger days bought her last Golden pup at 61. She was fit and fully functional and when her old boy passed, she bought another one as she had done as long as I can recall. She claimed this one would be her last given her age but his passing at 73 she lasted 5 weeks without a dog in her life and bought another Golden pup....actually a breeder friend gave her pup from her current litter.

The pup was good for her, gave her a purpose in life, she trained him, walked him every day, nothing really changed although given her age she did things more slowly. At 80 years old, mum developed dementia and was commissioned to a nursing home....we took the dog and visited her with her dog twice a week. Although in her condition she thought the dog was the boy she had in the early 80's who was her last obedience titled dog, but dogs to mum were part of her life age didn't matter. She's 86 now and her old boy passed late last year and we take a GSD up to see her weekly. She tells us weekly how GSD's are not her cup of tea but interacting with a dog still sparks her up :)

Myself, I am 53 and still actively train working dogs, but I wonder bodily in the future how long I can sustain the activities with high drive dogs?

Amax I think this is a lovely post and I would like to think my son would say the same. :thumbsup:

None of us know how long we have when we take on a pet. People can die when quite young as the result of an accident. Cancer or other illnesses can strike at any time. Why single out people of a certain age and who you believe are at death's door as being irresponsible for wanting a pet? Have you ever heard of ageism? Younger families leave animals at the pound too.

A pet can be wonderful company for someone living alone and can give them a reason to get up in the morning and to go out for a walk every day and help them to live a longer happier more fulfilled life.

If I was to go out and get a pup tomorrow it would not be selfish ownership. I would be offering a dog a wonderful home and the dog would be enriching my life and I do matter and I am entitled to happiness just as much as the next person. That said I wouldn't want a pup though. I would prefer an older settled dog. I have had my share of pups and their destructive ways. :D

59 is so young. Whoever would think it remarkable that a 59 year old was getting a pup? Why on earth shouldn't they? :)

I am not young myself and have many years of rehoming rescue dogs to all kinds of homes including to elderly people who've been turned down by other rescues simply because of their age - every application needs to be assessed for suitability, no matter what age.

That said, I would not be rehoming a 2 year old to any of the 80 somethings that call and want that particular dog - unless they had phenomenal family backup on a daily basis, only then might I consider it and I'd consider it to be an adoption to the whole family so generally, the people that call don't even come close.

Recently a group I work with took on a 6 month old puppy bought by an 84 year old who was lonely. Paid $1600 in a petshop and simply wanted the animal to sit on her lap.

Shock horror, it was an energetic puppy that she couldn't cope with and for the 3 months or so that she had the dog, it wasn't housetrained, it never left the house because she was also disabled.

That is just a drop in the ocean of rescue stories, it's not unusual. And I think at 89, you shouldn't be getting a kitten as my friend's mother had done. Perhaps an older cat would suit but there is also a time when people really focus on looking after themselves and don't even see anything wrong with their pets.

Anyone who has animals should be making provision for them in case anything happens because I agree with you, anything can at any age, we can all hope for the best but once you are say, over 80 - you might need to be thinking that things are more likely to happen such as incapacitating illness or the most final thing. You may not be OK tomorrow, even though you are ok today ... I spent 6 years visiting someone in a nursing home who passed away aged 90. She'd collapsed at 84 and that was that, end of her mobility.

I really don't think that is fair to a young dog or cat.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

I am not young myself and have many years of rehoming rescue dogs to all kinds of homes including to elderly people who've been turned down by other rescues simply because of their age - every application needs to be assessed for suitability, no matter what age.

That said, I would not be rehoming a 2 year old to any of the 80 somethings that call and want that particular dog - unless they had phenomenal family backup on a daily basis, only then might I consider it and I'd consider it to be an adoption to the whole family so generally, the people that call don't even come close.

Recently a group I work with took on a 6 month old puppy bought by an 84 year old who was lonely. Paid $1600 in a petshop and simply wanted the animal to sit on her lap.

Shock horror, it was an energetic puppy that she couldn't cope with and for the 3 months or so that she had the dog, it wasn't housetrained, it never left the house because she was also disabled.

That is just a drop in the ocean of rescue stories, it's not unusual. And I think at 89, you shouldn't be getting a kitten as my friend's mother had done. Perhaps an older cat would suit but there is also a time when people really focus on looking after themselves and don't even see anything wrong with their pets.

Anyone who has animals should be making provision for them in case anything happens because I agree with you, anything can at any age, we can all hope for the best but once you are say, over 80 - you might need to be thinking that things are more likely to happen such as incapacitating illness or the most final thing. You may not be OK tomorrow, even though you are ok today ... I spent 6 years visiting someone in a nursing home who passed away aged 90. She'd collapsed at 84 and that was that, end of her mobility.

I really don't think that is fair to a young dog or cat.

I do understand what you are saying. As I have said in a previous post I would not want a pup because I know what work is involved but I do want a canine companion for as long as I am able. Besides 'You can't take a goldfish for a walk' and I love walking. That said I am not yet 80, :D :D ,so perhaps 80 can be the new benchmark, but when I get to 80 and if I am still well it may be time to reassess. But then as other posters have said, it is not the chronological age it is the individual situation.

I think I'd probably downsize to a smaller dog when I'm older.

Glen of Imaal terrier? :-D

My nan is 92 and has a whippet boy, I believe he is three or four now? They are perfect for each other and he gets regularly outings. Also, he will have a home with my parents if he outlives my nan. Unless I steal him first. I remember feeling a bit worried when nan was heart set on another dog after her old gsd x kelpie passed. But really, she has always had dogs and has a supportive family. I'm glad she has her little whippet man in her life.

Possibly ... or a skye or maybe a sealyham. Certainly, a terrier.

When we can't look after them properly.

That's nothing to do with age. There isn't an age. Some people are hopeless & can't cope in their 20's & others can cope fine & look after multiple dogs in their 60's, as I do.

Obviously I know that now I haven't the physical strength to cope with big dogs as much as I like them. Joint problems have to be considered however I manage to brush mine most days & bath & clip fortnightly I just pace myself sensibly. Its all manageable.

Its a state of mind too. Some people have no patience for pups & dogs when they are young & others have it forever. To me 60's isn't old.

My mother is 90 & going so well. Sharp as anything, does her daily crossword & keeps up with world affairs. Goes out a lot & holidays in Europe with my sister.

She says she is too old for a dog now & at her age that's fair enough. Back & knees bother her but that's about it.

Anyone can drop dead at any time if the wrong thing happens so I guess if you are very old like 80's it may not be the best idea if family aren't willing to help but if they are & you can manage well & have the right pet that's suitable for your capabilities I can't see a problem.

6 years ago I [placed a Male Maremma with an 82 year old lady who was pretty frail. Because of the breed it is no work and it lives with her side by side day in and day out. She tells me he changed her life - gives her a reason to get up and look after something and she no longer has to worry about someone breaking in as the dog sleeps beside her bed.

May God help anyone who tries to decide Im too old to have a dog .

Edited by Steve

I don't anticipate ever not having a dog unless I'm severely incapacitated. But as an elderly woman I'll likely adopt elderly, low energy blockheads or adopt a lazy ex-racing Grey instead. I can't be bothered with puppies now so I certainly won't be then :laugh:

When I had a baby at 45 people said you will be in your 60's when he is 21 - so what? He is 17 now and several of his peers have lost parents through accidents and cancer .You live life today and make plans for your dogs just as we all do for guardianship of our kids . Im not living without a dog. Full stop even if I make it to 110 and its pretty bloody offensive to think people are thinking at 61 Im too old for ANYTHING.

92 year old Syd adopted a 10 year old greyhound after losing his wife and old dog, Cheeky has given him a new lease on life :heart:

I love this quote from the article..."after his wife died he thought about finding a new partner but he decided a dog was better"

I'm with you Syd :thumbsup:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/news/yearold-syd-finds-love-again-with-cheeky-the-rescued-greyhound/story-fngr8gwi-1226992143013

92 year old Syd adopted a 10 year old greyhound after losing his wife and old dog, Cheeky has given him a new lease on life :heart:

I love this quote from the article..."after his wife died he thought about finding a new partner but he decided a dog was better"

I'm with you Syd :thumbsup:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/news/yearold-syd-finds-love-again-with-cheeky-the-rescued-greyhound/story-fngr8gwi-1226992143013

Man of great heart and taste.

:heart:

Personally I've decided that as long as my health remains with me my last puppy will be somewhere between when I'm 65 and 70. (I'm now just over 40 so a few to come!!) I want at least one puppy when I'm not working full time.

After that I have dreams of either giving homes to elderly BC's or having rescue Greyhounds. I just hope it all pans out the way I want it to!