At What Age Do We Stop Getting New Dogs?

Aleksandra 157

What a wonderful thread this has been. Thankyou OP :thumbsup:

I have a few questions though. How does a rescue know how old potential adopters are? Do they ask for proof of age? If so how rude.

So if I want a dog from a rescue will I have to put on my young face and wear young clothes and get a ring in my belly button? :D :D The white hair is probably okay because most young people seem to dye their hair anyway.

Edited because I was being silly

Edited by sarsaparilla

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'd probably downsize to a smaller dog when I'm older.

sometimes i think that the perfect choice for we older people is a greyhound.. small breed can be quick and get underfoot unseen A neighbour of mine spent 6 hours on the ground with a broken femur.. by the time i found her she was covered in meat ants!!!!!!!!! all due to tripping over her Chi ( he suffered two broken ribs)...

H

I am 63 and currently care for one brother and his maremma and medium sized cross, and i have 3 very elderly maremmas, 1 middle aged maremma, 1 very feisty 3yo maremma and two 2yo maremmas ( fosters at the moment). The thought of living without at least a dog makes my blood run cold.

H

sometimes i think that the perfect choice for we older people is a greyhound.. small breed can be quick and get underfoot unseen A neighbour of mine spent 6 hours on the ground with a broken femur.. by the time i found her she was covered in meat ants!!!!!!!!! all due to tripping over her Chi ( he suffered two broken ribs)...

H

I am 63 and currently care for one brother and his maremma and medium sized cross, and i have 3 very elderly maremmas, 1 middle aged maremma, 1 very feisty 3yo maremma and two 2yo maremmas ( fosters at the moment). The thought of living without at least a dog makes my blood run cold.

H

Possibly, but greyhounds aren't terriers ... :D

H

H

:offtopic: Rescues have identified a new breed doing the rounds of the country pounds which they have named a wire haired terrier. Maybe that would suit.

H

H

:offtopic: Rescues have identified a new breed doing the rounds of the country pounds which they have named a wire haired terrier. Maybe that would suit.

#umwhat?

Of course young people can have accidents and become incapacitated or suffer health problems and are not physically capable of caring for a dog. This is tragic and fortunately it happens to very few of our young people.

FACT: Statistically people in their 70's and 80's are more likely to die than younger people.

FACT: The elderly are also far more likely to have health issues that limit their capabilities.

I can't imagine living without a dog. I've always had a dog in my life but at my age it would not be fair of me to take on a new dog when my beloved Cavaliers are no longer here. I believe dogs feel a sense of loss and confusion when the person who has loved and cared for them disappears from their lives.

My life would be so much less without a dog but it's not all about me, what about about the dog? I don't want to live without a dog but I won't risk putting a dog through the sense of loss, displacement and abandonment because suddenly everything they know is no longer there.

I don't ever want to be without a dog, the thought of this saddens me beyond description but I will not take on the responsibility for the life of a dog because at my age there's a good chance I won't be here to uphold that responsibility. It's not fair to the dog.

Some are saying whey they get old they'll have a small dog. Would a small dog not feel a sense of loss and abandonment when their security, their routine and their attachment to their owner is suddenly taken from them? Again, what about the dog?

Some elderly folk are well able to manage a dog. Many are not and when they got the dog they didn't expect they would develop health problems or fall off their perch but it happens.

I hold the opinion that it's not about what I want, it's about the dog.

Edited by cavNrott

H

H

#umwhat?

I wasn't going to post any more today but just one more. Try this link

My link

Edited by sarsaparilla

Such an interesting discussion.

I can't really imagine how I'll feel later about taking on a new dog. Certainly even at forty I have reduced the amount of dogs I keep so I guess this trend will continue.

I can't imagine not having a dog at all, but I guess when I'm "old" and find myself with no dog, I would be reluctant to buy another. I guess it will all depend upon my children and whether or not they would be able to/want to take on any dog/s after I pass or become unable to care for them properly.

As a breeder, this is something that I have had to consider many times.

I have refused pups to mature-aged people numerous times because they weren't able to convince me that they were fit enough to care for the dog properly nor provide a long term plan for the dog in a worse case scenario.

Having said that, I am selling a puppy this year to a Woman in her sixties who competes in conformation, agility and tracking and wants a new dog to do all these things as well as retrieving.

She is extremely fit and healthy and devotes her life to her current dog and will do the same for her new dog.

We have, however, developed a contract that will ensure the dog is returned to us in future if need be.

So, while as a breeder I can't say that age is not an issue when placing puppies, it certainly doesn't rule people out necessarily.

Of course young people can have accidents and become incapacitated or suffer health problems and are not physically capable of caring for a dog. This is tragic and fortunately it happens to very few of our young people.

FACT: Statistically people in their 70's and 80's are more likely to die than younger people.

FACT: The elderly are also far more likely to have health issues that limit their capabilities.

I can't imagine living without a dog. I've always had a dog in my life but at my age it would not be fair of me to take on a new dog when my beloved Cavaliers are no longer here. I believe dogs feel a sense of loss and confusion when the person who has loved and cared for them disappears from their lives.

My life would be so much less without a dog but it's not all about me, what about about the dog? I don't want to live without a dog but I won't risk putting a dog through the sense of loss, displacement and abandonment because suddenly everything they know is no longer there.

I don't ever want to be without a dog, the thought of this saddens me beyond description but I will not take on the responsibility for the life of a dog because at my age there's a good chance I won't be here to uphold that responsibility. It's not fair to the dog.

Some are saying whey they get old they'll have a small dog. Would a small dog not feel a sense of loss and abandonment when their security, their routine and their attachment to their owner is suddenly taken from them? Again, what about the dog?

Some elderly folk are well able to manage a dog. Many are not and when they got the dog they didn't expect they would develop health problems or fall off their perch but it happens.

But see I already have serious physical health problems at 50 and it's a disease that's not going to go away...ever. Greyhounds suit my disability and when/if I do get to a good age I'll adopt old greys. Many broody's have still been pumping out litters at 9 and 10, many living in kennels their whole lives so they would welcome the chance to come sit on the couch with me I'm sure. As I said I'd only adopt from reputable rescue so they would be returned and rehomed should the need arise. Winterpaws adopted a 12 year old greyhound last year that ended up in the RSPCA after his owner had been placed in a nursing home. Yes he did pine for his owner for a short time but soon settled in with his new family and he had actually been a pet for many years. Greyhounds are pretty adaptable dogs :)

When I started this thread I had no idea there would be so much interest or so many diverse opinions.I think it came to me quite by surprise when I got Lulu 6 years ago and somebody asked if I thought my age (early 60) a was a problem . I will always have a dog in my life,I always have. Also an older owner often has more time etc to look after a dog than someone with children.,it usually becomes their foremost committment.(Not that there are not great younger owners.Obviously,every case is individual,and common sense must prevail as long as the person can care for the dog or cat,has things in place in case the unforeseen happens,I really feel 70s and 80s are not too old to have a pet.(I was recently talking to a breeder friend on this subject and she let's her old dogs go to older people she knows,and if something happens she takes the dogs back,a great system,I thought.) :thumbsup:

Edited by Lulusuki

Interesting that the retirement age has been raised to 70 and yet there are some who think owning a dog into your late 60's and into your 70's is too old.

A lady at my obedience club is 78 and still actively doing obedience and taking her dog for a daily walk, sometimes two. She didn't get the dog until only a few years ago. He gives her a reason to live, keeps her company and gets her out and about. And yes she has told me she has made plans for his re-homing should she drop off the perch. She also embraces modern technology such as the internet which some older people refuse to do although it can bring so much enrichment into their lives. But I'm getting off topic now...my bad

I can see both sides of the coin here. But to be honest I don't think that age is necessarily the topic being debated here. I think it is more a question of ability.

There are countless threads in the Dogs in the news forum and sub-forum that show people not caring for, abusing, mistreating animals. These people lack the ability to look after animals/dogs... but they are not from any one age-group.

I have known and still do know people who are in their 20ies and have dogs that they do not care for properly. Sure, they are fed and watered but they are not looked after properly. I am thinking of people with dogs like BCs, Labs and GSDs. They fit the magazine image of a late 20-something with the kids, the new house (mortgage) so they have to have the dog, too. But they don't think past the look of the dog to what they were actually designed for. I find it infuriating explaining to these people time and again that these dogs need reasonable amounts of mental and physical stimulation to be truly happy. IMO, these people are entirely unsuitable as owners of dogs of these and other breeds, REGARDLESS OF THEIR AGE. Now before anyone gets up-in-arms about that, I am aware that there are exceptions to every rule. I am not saying that ALL young people are irresponsible of their pets, indeed many are extremely loving and devoted to their dogs' well-being, including yours truly.

Plenty of elderly people (or as I prefer, "people of extended experience") are better at looking after their pets than many young and middle aged people. If for no other reason than they generally have more free time to spend on the dog. It depends on the individual circumstances, of course. I know people who are in their late 70ies who would hit you with a stick if you told them they couldn't have another dog. Then in contrast, I know people of the same age that caring for a dog would be too much of a strain. If you are a spritely 70 something y/o and can give your dog the exercise and time, then I say have a dog. If you are frail and sickly then perhaps getting another Rotty etc is not a great idea and you should consider downsizing. Studies show that owning a pet is a great therapy and can extend your life-expectancy. Anyone who has taken a pet into a nursing home or respite centre will be able to attest to the powerful effect it has on otherwise withdrawn residents.

Certainly I think the welfare of the dog should you become unable to care for it or pass on is a major consideration, I certainly advocate for preparedness in that area. I am young and healthy and I have legal documents stipulating what should happen to my pets (in a variety of circumstances) if something happens to me.

Edited by Snippy

You could always take a retired dog from a breeder. I have placed a couple with older people I wouldn't otherwise consider but these dogs have a return to breeder clause and they have a home here for life. I consider it sharing, will only do it locally where I can keep an eye on the dog and won't have any more than 2 at a time. It is win win for both of us, dog gets a super life and one on one attention and they get the dogs company and the security of knowing they don't need to worry about the dog

My aunt and uncle are I their mid 70's and have a young, active standard schnauzer. He is walked about. 5 kms per day, goes to coffee and bridge a few times a week, is visited by some of the 20+ grandchildren. In short, he lives a much better life than most dogs out there.

If something tragic happened he would be taken in by a family member who he knows well. He might struggle a but at first but plenty of dogs get rehomed and live happy, well adjusted lives. That said , both his owners are fit and healthy.

Personally I've decided that as long as my health remains with me my last puppy will be somewhere between when I'm 65 and 70. (I'm now just over 40 so a few to come!!) I want at least one puppy when I'm not working full time.

After that I have dreams of either giving homes to elderly BC's or having rescue Greyhounds. I just hope it all pans out the way I want it to!

If you're anything like me, when you're 65 you'll decide the last pup should be at 75 :)

At 63, I am now planning for my next BC pup when I am about 67. It will most likely be my last agility dog, but certainly not my last BC. But when I get into my late 70's, if I am still active & healthy, then I may make future plans, but will probably settle for more sedate dog activities :)

There's a lot of difference between individuals. Much of that difference is predictable.

I can't remember where I saw the numbers, but I'm pretty certain that those who make it to, say, 70 and are in good health, have a better chance of living another 25 years than those who make it to 50 and have a few chronic conditions/risk factors (heart, obesity, smoking, family dying young, etc.).

There are many detailed life expectancy calculators available that take account of your risk factors. I think these are a useful guideline, not only for figuring out whether or not to take on a puppy, but also for figuring out how long your life savings is going to have to last.

I played around with one of these tests https://www.livingto100.com/ and was surprised to realize I can expect to live to be 95 (I'm 65 now).

But if I had high blood pressure and smoked, or had a sister who died of breast cancer at 45, or had diabetes, the numbers would be a lot different.

Edited by sandgrubber