Save Hugo Campaign

Little Gifts

Facebook attracts a very special kind of crazy, doesn't it?

I've got someone browbeating my cousin for her decision to buy a pup from an ethical and responsible registered breeder - spouting all the PETA propaganda and everything... just another stupid keyboard warrior for a "cause"... *sigh*

T.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got someone browbeating my cousin for her decision to buy a pup from an ethical and responsible registered breeder - spouting all the PETA propaganda and everything... just another stupid keyboard warrior for a "cause"... *sigh*

T.

Some people seem to take the OL idea way too far. A member of a dog group I'm in got soundly abused because she was asking about importing a pup (of a breed not found in Australia) and was told she should be ashamed for wanting to spend all that money getting a dog in when so many were dying in pounds.

I pointed out that not everyone wants a rescue dog or a mutt and was shouted down as being a supporter of puppy farms. I then mentioned that although I rescue, the OH and I owned a purebred dog from a breeder* and.. yeeeeah, it all went downhill from there.

*Besides being a naughty little beast, it's been a great experience- she's healthy, she's behaviourally normal (which is a nice change) and we have absolutely no regrets. Apparently wanting that makes us bad people.

But anyways!

Could someone post a link to the other FB page? I can't find it.

Last night on the news they said she was away from home 4 days a week as she is a flight attendant :/

Wow just looked at the "don't save Hugo" page...appalling. All these people are M-A-D!

Sounds a cushy job.

She appears to be on a semi-permanent flight from reality of life. May as well be paid

:mad :mad

T.

Some people seem to take the OL idea way too far. A member of a dog group I'm in got soundly abused because she was asking about importing a pup (of a breed not found in Australia) and was told she should be ashamed for wanting to spend all that money getting a dog in when so many were dying in pounds.

I pointed out that not everyone wants a rescue dog or a mutt and was shouted down as being a supporter of puppy farms. I then mentioned that although I rescue, the OH and I owned a purebred dog from a breeder* and.. yeeeeah, it all went downhill from there.

*Besides being a naughty little beast, it's been a great experience- she's healthy, she's behaviourally normal (which is a nice change) and we have absolutely no regrets. Apparently wanting that makes us bad people.

But anyways!

Could someone post a link to the other FB page? I can't find it.

Seriously - I called her on her "research on the topic", citing real hands on experience in rescue that I've had... and she's disappeared from the radar... *sigh*

I may have called her a "keyboard warrior" with no actual experience to back up her claims too... was that mean of me? *grin*

T.

in FB just search for save hugo the dog, why?

Thanks, I was only seeing the other one. Perhaps because of the lower amount of likes.

And speaking of lower amount of likes.. oh dear. Way to actually drive people to support Hugo's owner :/ The photo of the pei after the entropian op, what the f***? It's almost like they don't want to seem credible? :confused:

I may have called her a "keyboard warrior" with no actual experience to back up her claims too... was that mean of me? *grin*

I get called mean on a fairly regular basis these days. I take it to mean "right". As in "You're being so right about it being stupid of me to feed my young mastiff puppy 2kgs of chicken necks every day, along with calcium syrup and free-fed kibble." And sadly, that's not an exaggeration, that's actually what he was feeding the poor pup. He'd been told that MOAR calcium and ALL OF THE FOOD would make his mastiff into a bigger, stronger dog (read: better penis extension).

Well the little guy will not be destroyed if his owners can relocate him to Cairns. I can only hope that where he is relocated, the new owners take on the responsibility his previous owners clearly lacked.

Doesn't look like the supporters are satisfied... I thought the point was to Save Hugo? He's been saved (on conditions) and I don't think returning him to his owners will help keep that intact tbh as they seem like the type to pass their problems onto others.

Edited by Terri S.

Thanks, I was only seeing the other one. Perhaps because of the lower amount of likes.

And speaking of lower amount of likes.. oh dear. Way to actually drive people to support Hugo's owner :/ The photo of the pei after the entropian op, what the f***? It's almost like they don't want to seem credible? :confused:

I get called mean on a fairly regular basis these days. I take it to mean "right". As in "You're being so right about it being stupid of me to feed my young mastiff puppy 2kgs of chicken necks every day, along with calcium syrup and free-fed kibble." And sadly, that's not an exaggeration, that's actually what he was feeding the poor pup. He'd been told that MOAR calcium and ALL OF THE FOOD would make his mastiff into a bigger, stronger dog (read: better penis extension).

Well - my keyboard warrior has given up the fight... but not until she'd offered to have a deep and meaningful conversation with me over a coffee to discuss how wonderful a job PETA does... aarrgghh! I must admit that I was a little less than polite with my answer to that offer - let's just say she was left with NO illusions as to my feelings for PETA (no swear words though). I DID manage to get her to back off my cousin for deciding to buy a well bred pup from an ethical and responsible registered breeder. A small "win" for me anyways... lol!

T.

I'm not saying he should have been PTS, but it does reek of the save everything mentality.

Not every dog is long for this world, and we need to accept that sometimes. Also totally blame the owners.

Power to his new owners, I wish them all the success ever.

This is terrible, but you make me laugh :laugh:

I'm happy he has been saved and will go to live with new peeps who hopefully are interested in addressing the reasons for him wandering and rushing. I get the sense he is probably a pretty loving pei who has been left to behave badly. Fingers crossed for a much brighter future for one impounded dog.

My one-eyed, blind, deaf, 15-year-old, rescued shih tzu was at large today. I am really pleased I found him before he terrorized any member of the public, encountered council or, indeed, ran into many of the dog lovers who voice their opinions on this thread. Good luck, Hugo. And good luck to his owners, too. They obviously give a damn. So many dogs are not that lucky.

Edited by hoffpig

My one-eyed, blind, deaf, 15-year-old, rescue shih tzu was at large today. I am really pleased I found him before he terrorized any member of the public, encountered council or, indeed, ran into many of the dog lovers who voice their opinions on this thread. Good luck, Hugo.

I am really pleased you found him too.

If it was one of mine my biggest concern would not have been the council but finding him before he was hit by a car or ran into a dog that may not have been so friendly. The dog lovers here care about dogs and believe people owe it to their dogs to keep them safe and ensure they don't harm themselves or others.

My one-eyed, blind, deaf, 15-year-old, rescued shih tzu was at large today. I am really pleased I found him before he terrorized any member of the public, encountered council or, indeed, ran into many of the dog lovers who voice their opinions on this thread. Good luck, Hugo. And good luck to his owners, too. They obviously give a damn. So many dogs are not that lucky.

Have you actually read the whole story? His owners only gave a shit about Hugo when he was going to be euthanised. Other than that, they obviously didn't care about his wellbeing or the wellbeing of the general public.

Have you actually read the whole story? His owners only gave a shit about Hugo when he was going to be euthanised. Other than that, they obviously didn't care about his wellbeing or the wellbeing of the general public.

Yes they had seven warnings to fix their fencing to stop him from wandering.

And even as Hugo was impounded waiting a decision they still did not bother to fix their fencing. I think that really sums up how much of damn they gave.

Sometimes accidents can happen and dogs get out. That is quite different to having a long-term confinement problem.