Save Hugo Campaign

Little Gifts

I guess the dog gets destroyed and a few days later the owners will have a new dog. Owning a reactive dog this kind of dog and owner combination is my worst nightmare, I wish they Would be prevented from having a dog.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I heard on the news this afternoon that she plans to move to a farm if she gets the dog back. The council should rehome the dog if anything.

I hope not, if the reports are to be believed and he escapes out on farmland he will be a dead dog if a farmer catches him.

--Lhok

I was thinking the same thing...

It seems wrong that the dog dies when clearly the owners were irresponsible. The dog would be different with different owners, no doubt. Crappy situation!

Nothing new about that. When I was growing up, dogs with irresponsible owners usually got run over rather than impounded and destroyed. Where I live now, dogs with irresponsible owners tend to die of heart worm.

Edited by sandgrubber

Yes I was reading the FB page earlier, sorry but the dog was caught wandering many times, another case of stupid owner syndrome.

Her comment saying "he rushed the dog and owner because he was saying hello!" shits me to tears. Keep your dog contained, walk in on a lead and it won't end up in this situation.

Totally agree. If they don't care enough to contain the dog for his own safety, I guess I find it a bit "off" that they'd suddenly care so much when facing his destruction (despite how many times it could have happened under a car while they mismanaged him).

I agree. Poor dog pays for its idiot owners, once again :(

Was reading that they had claimed to the council that Hugo had died [they were chasing him up in regards to being unregistered]. So were shocked to find a dead dog out wandering.

Goldcoast Bulletin article

Just get the feeling the only saving Hugo needs is from the current owners who have nfi frown.gif

Gawd it just gets better, she's kidding isn't she?

I just posted the following to the Save Hugo Facebook page... dog, I hope they pay heed if they get him back...

Whilst I completely understand the heartache you are feeling about the position Hugo is now in - and I feel strongly for HIM... I'm a little less than impressed with some of the justifications you have put forward for not being able to contain Hugo after you were served with a "Menacing Dog" Order some time ago.

As an owner of 4 dogs myself - and having been involved with dog rescue for a number of years - I can't understand why you didn't make an enclosed run for him in the yard, or contain him in the house when you were unable to supervise him and stop him from roaming the streets and scaring the general public by running up to them (be it in a "friendly way" or not).

The Menacing Dog order would have come with strict instructions as to how Hugo should have been contained, yet it appears that the family were unable to comply with that containment - and now Hugo will inevitably pay the ultimate price for that non-compliance.

It is impossible (and possibly illegal) to simply rehome Hugo to another family who may be able to cater to his needs in a way his current family obviously cannot - as he comes with a Menacing Dog tag - and thusly Hugo will most probably pay for this sorry state of affairs with his life.

This is a very hard lesson to learn in dog ownership... and Hugo's owners need to stop making excuses and start taking some responsibility for his predicament, as I can see us all being back at this same point if he's given back to them this time. If he is returned, then for dog's sake bloody well keep him contained or on leash at ALL times - as there will be no second chance after this, OK?

Simply moving to acreage "so he can run" is not going to cut it. If he ends up on someone else's property and is upsetting them or their animals, he will simply be shot... no second chances there, and no great Facebook or media campaigns will bring him back from that fate.

T.

Great way to treat supporters. They got people to jump up and down without being honest about the whole story. And she's crying about having no idea this could happen when a dog becomes a public nuisance?!

Only the dog has my sympathy.

I just posted the following to the Save Hugo Facebook page... dog, I hope they pay heed if they get him back...

Whilst I completely understand the heartache you are feeling about the position Hugo is now in - and I feel strongly for HIM... I'm a little less than impressed with some of the justifications you have put forward for not being able to contain Hugo after you were served with a "Menacing Dog" Order some time ago.

As an owner of 4 dogs myself - and having been involved with dog rescue for a number of years - I can't understand why you didn't make an enclosed run for him in the yard, or contain him in the house when you were unable to supervise him and stop him from roaming the streets and scaring the general public by running up to them (be it in a "friendly way" or not).

The Menacing Dog order would have come with strict instructions as to how Hugo should have been contained, yet it appears that the family were unable to comply with that containment - and now Hugo will inevitably pay the ultimate price for that non-compliance.

It is impossible (and possibly illegal) to simply rehome Hugo to another family who may be able to cater to his needs in a way his current family obviously cannot - as he comes with a Menacing Dog tag - and thusly Hugo will most probably pay for this sorry state of affairs with his life.

This is a very hard lesson to learn in dog ownership... and Hugo's owners need to stop making excuses and start taking some responsibility for his predicament, as I can see us all being back at this same point if he's given back to them this time. If he is returned, then for dog's sake bloody well keep him contained or on leash at ALL times - as there will be no second chance after this, OK?

Simply moving to acreage "so he can run" is not going to cut it. If he ends up on someone else's property and is upsetting them or their animals, he will simply be shot... no second chances there, and no great Facebook or media campaigns will bring him back from that fate.

T.

Her reply to you gave me a headache and she's still none the wiser.

My dear Mum's saying comes to mind...you can't put brains in statues.

T.

Her reply to you gave me a headache and she's still none the wiser.

My dear Mum's saying comes to mind...you can't put brains in statues.

I couldn't find it?

I couldn't find it either - maybe she deleted it? What was the gyst of her response HazyWal?

It actually disturbs me a little that she currently has over 33,000 supporters on that FB page. I probably can't put into words why without sounding like I don't care about poor Hugo but I guess it upsets me that tens of thousands of 'animal lovers' can be instantly up in arms about one dog who has been put in harms way by his owners but be blind to all the other animal abuse and neglect that goes on day in and day out around this country, some of which may have even been caused by some of them. Every single day good, healthy dogs are dying in pounds and shelters because humans put them there. Where is the uproar for all of them? Why don't people care about that too?

I wish Hugo all the luck in the world with the council's decision tomorrow but my gut tells me this family will continue to 'love' Hugo the same lax way they always have and this wont be the last time he comes to the attention of this council or another (if they move). I doubt their 33,000 supporters will have as much sympathy for them next time. I really hope they consider rehoming him (if it is possible/legal). He really does look like a lovely boy with some behaviours that could be resolved with appropriate fencing, training, exercise and stimulation within his own yard.

I'm starting to think that maybe the media campaign could sway the council into giving this dog back to his owners... their response to my post is nothing short of delusional...

Really, I think that a 2 year old dog that has been the subject of 20 complaints and numerous seizures by council should probably be put down. I know it's not his "fault" he's turned out the way he has, but he is clearly a menace to the community.

T.

T.

My email has been beseiged by people thinking I have an obligation to step in and fight for this dog. I wish my replies were as eloquent as yours. I generally said it was people like this family that caused me so much heartache I gave up rescue. Yes I believe Hugo will die because he has idiots for owners.