Jack Russell Terriers Temperament

BarbedWire

Hi All

THE JRT thread seems to be very quiet and I would like to know if anyone knows if there is any difference in the temperaments of the smooth and rough coated JRTs. I am thinking about prey drive and level of aggression towards other dogs.

If you have ever owned a JRT would you recommend a smooth or a rough coat?

Thankyou

Coat type doesn't have any affect on the temperament at all from what I've experienced. It's how they're raised, trained and genetics that affect temperament not coat type.

Thankyou. I thought different coat types might come from different genetic stock and that might mean different temperament.

I think it's very important to consider your lines with JRT as there are differences in temperament- although not directly linked to coat type.

My breeder had a litter that consisted of 2 rough coats, one broken coat and one smooth coat- all with gorgeous temperaments because the parents were amazing. I would go back to her for another JRT in a heartbeat- we got everything we wanted and more with our rough coat from her.

I think it's very important to consider your lines with JRT as there are differences in temperament- although not directly linked to coat type.

My breeder had a litter that consisted of 2 rough coats, one broken coat and one smooth coat- all with gorgeous temperaments because the parents were amazing. I would go back to her for another JRT in a heartbeat- we got everything we wanted and more with our rough coat from her.

Thankyou. I did not realise that both rough coats and smooth coats could be from the same litter.

Can I have her details. I don't want a pup yet but maybe in the future.

i have a rough but i have never had a smooth so not much help with comparison lol

i don't believe coat type should affect temperament though, they are all nut bags lol

I love nutbags as long as they are not going to kill my neighbour's cat or be in your face with other dogs.

And what you have mentioned above comes down to the right combination of genetics AND training- Our JRT has a very high prey drive. But is good with cats and exceptional with other dogs- although he won't take rubbish from them/ tolerate rude dog behaviour though. Those things have been created through training with a puppy that was already of stable temperament. But stable doesn't mean easy or low drive- that's not what JRT's are.

JRT's are likely to be assertive, drivey and quick to respond to action. They're certainly not for the faint hearted. I have JRT's and ACD's and i actually think there are elements of their temperaments that are similar.

Edited by Cosmolo

And what you have mentioned above comes down to the right combination of genetics AND training- Our JRT has a very high prey drive. But is good with cats and exceptional with other dogs- although he won't take rubbish from them/ tolerate rude dog behaviour though. Those things have been created through training with a puppy that was already of stable temperament. But stable doesn't mean easy or low drive- that's not what JRT's are.

JRT's are likely to be assertive, drivey and quick to respond to action. They're certainly not for the faint hearted. I have JRT's and ACD's and i actually think there are elements of their temperaments that are similar.

Thankyou again. This is interesting especially the bolded part. How would they go at obedience trialling? I have seen one at training and it had a really quirky personality which I fell in love with.

They are very smart dogs but not for a novice owner. I'd recommend you contact Jill at "JRT Rescue", she's a wealth of knowledge on the breed as a registered breeder and she runs JRT Rescue.

I've got one - by accident but that's another story - she dug out of my yard 3 times in the first month or so and this is a very common behaviour by Jack Russells even when they are happy. Mine was digging out to get into my neighbour's yard where unbeknowns to me, they were trapping rats.

I love their intelligence and feisty nature. You do have to be careful with them and their prey drive - most of them have it in one way or another. Mine hates cats but is wonderful with every other dog. She's also very growly which you also have to be careful with as it can be misinterpreted by people and other dogs! It's just her way, she's not nasty at all.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

We have just acquired a rough coat after having two smooth coats, I do find she needs more grooming but that can be an excuse for cuddles and kisses. She is two years old and had not been house trained, she has settled in pretty well and acts the same as the smooth coats with the exception of being an escape artist, however coming from a farm to a house she thinks our yard is too small.

I would highly recommend one of each, that way they can keep each other company. :thumbsup:

Thankyou Dogmad and Mumsie. I once knew a family with a JRT. Their house was on a block that sloped towards the road. At the back of the house they had a pergola with a retaining wall at its rear. The JRT used to get up on to the roof via the pergola and then walk across the roof to the front where it would sit all day and watch the passing traffic. The owner told me people often knocked on her door to tell her that a dog was sitting on her roof. I thought it was so clever and so funny. They sound like such cute dogs.