My Dad's Best Mate, Buddy

tikira

Tonight I had one of the most difficult conversations ever with my Dad. In February I lost my Mum, and Dad was alone for a large part, comforted and kept going by his best friend Buddy. Buddy was more than a working dog, he was my Dad's support sysytem. I homestly have never seen a farmer that was closer to his dog.

Buddy was run over on a very quiet dead end street in a very small country town, after he had gotten out somehow. Our neighbour found him. Dad is distraught, he is feeling so alome and down, and really struggling. They had 13 years together. The only thing Dad is grateful for is it was quick, it seems he did not know what hit him. Buddy was slowing down, and a t leat Dad did not need to have to amke the decision to give him his wings, which was fast approaching we feel. As it was they had spent a great day at the farm together, with Buddy barking at the motor bike, and spinning in circles like he was a teenager.

I just don't know how to comfort my Dad, but he knows how much I feel these things, and that I undestand the depth of emotion I am feeling. Because I have been comforted here on DOL, tried to offer comfort to others, and have noted how fellow friends here offered comfort and practical advice to people grieving a loss, at leas I am a little bit prepared to show him it is not "stupid" or "sentimental" or "unmanly" to grieve almost as hard for his best mate as he has for my Mum.

Thankyou Buddy for being there for Dad during the hard times,and thank you Dad for giving a dog the best life he could evwer have wished for, now it is Mum's turn to get Buddy love!

Okay Buddy Boy, it is time to go chase motor bikes, and sheep, and bunnies with your bestie, my boy Tippy.

Di

post-21758-0-38783500-1409229034_thumb.jpg

Oh tikira, I am so sorry for you and your dad's loss

:rainbowbridge: goodbye Buddy

Eta what a beautiful picture of buddy, has your dad got this one? Maybe you could send him one in a card if he doesn't have it.

Edited by harley

Thanks Harley.

We enjoy taking photo's and have some really nice ones, and our minds are working in the same direction, as I am already thinking about his memorial that I will be putting together. That is the thing that helped me most, and still does when i lost tip. You should have seen how excited I got when I found some photo's of Tip that I had lost!!!!

Thanks, this one is one I will be adding to the memorail, as I love it too.

Di

So hard for your Dad to lose his mate. I hope he is comforted by the good memories of their times together.

Sleep well, handsome Buddy.

Beautifully said. I'm so, so sorry for your dad's loss.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, on here and via PM. I appreciate it , and Dad was teary and so comforted by the fact that complete strangers are sending sympathies.

We spent the weekend with him, and it was so hard to see him tear up when he thought of his Buddy, he told me another farmer once asked what sort of dog Buddy was, his answer ..."He is not a dog, he is my mate" Sums up their relationship perfectly.

We had this photo enlarged for him. and it is sitting right near his lounge chair. He knows he will begin to recover from this new whammy eventually, but is worrying now that things usually come in threes. He is not counting the prolonged drought as one of the "three" things that has affected him this year, so hopefully me telling him that the drought counts, has allayed his fears there a little.

Thanks for the support.

Di

post-21758-0-48361600-1409527471_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...