Has The Time Come?

amick

Sounds like she's still coping.

She doesn't need walks, if she wants to go for a sniff around, take her to the corner or where-ever she wants to go, let her tell you how far and how often she wants to go out.

If you think it's her time then it's her time.

If you think she's still happy even if she needs a bit of help from you and isn't in agony then she's probably still fine to chill out on the sofa all day.

If anything keep her weight down, it will help her movement.

Edited by sas

Amick, she looks in great condition. I'd never guess her age from her pics. I agree with sas about trying to keep weight down. I had a senior sheltie girl, where I faced that challenge in her later years. I also agree with you that the bond two dogs have together can greatly help their well-being.

You & your girl & the boyfriend are doing very well. :)

I've been thinking quite a bit about this thread, for a few reasons actually. Main reason is that I have four elderly dogs and I am an old rickety bitch :D :D myself.

I am sure it is the same with humans as for dogs: you think you are going to last forever, but gradually the wheels start to wobble and bits fall off LOL.

Allowing for normal health, once past a certain age, anything can go wrong, so it is best to be prepared.

I agree with SAS in that just let your girl tell you what she wants. One of my dogs is, according to his pound records, between 15 and 16 and although he presents at the side gate where all the leads are and from where we set out on our walks, once leashed, he puts the brakes on. So although he hates being apart from me, he is miserable if I take him on our walks. So each time, I just play it by ear.

Your girl is looking great, amick.

She looks very happy :)

She sounds healthy and happy. Look fantastic, and is still enjoying herself.

If you're worried about walking there is a rear leg type sling that you lift&hold as they walk so their legs aren't taking the full weight but still getting a little exercise. I can look it up if you like. One of our larger retired dogs (RIP Byron) used to have one, we needed to make sure he was not going to slip when out for a pee and sniff. Yep, he was still trying to cock his leg!

Cartrophen injections are very good. A series of four and repeated when the effects wear off.

And for a joint supplement, the best one I've tried is Joint Performance, stocked in a few horsey stores or order it direct. jointperformance.com.au The doggy one is bacon flavoured lol.

It's a vague thing to say 'you'll know when it's time' but you really do. There's just no easy way to prepare so go day by day and spoil her silly. :grouphug:

LOL DD@bits falling off. :laugh:

Been in the same position as you. I made the decision to pts about three months before a 17th birthday. I know my girl would've kicked on a few more months but her mobility had become a little unpredictable (nerve issues rather than arthritis), which is fine if someone is home 24/7 but my greatest fear was I'd come home and find she'd been stuck somewhere in the back yard for a couple of hours and gotten distressed. She was a tough cookie and only made moderate changes to her behaviour and routine as she aged. But with her body not keeping up with her mind I worried a lot for her safety. What if she injured herself jumping the retaining wall? What if she got caught up in the frame of one of the outside dog beds? What if she got stuck in the garden foliage and it started to rain? What if she went to do a poo and her back legs went wonky and she fell in it - she would hate that! For the last six months of her life she had a 'is it time?' visit to the vet each month. I'm still not sure I made the right decision at exactly the right time but I definitely know I loved her far too much to let her suffer unneseccarily and in my gut I knew that was where things were heading for her. She was not going to be the kind of dog who just lay in a sunny spot and never woke up.

So part of your decision making has to be around what you are capable of doing for your dog and for how long. Her mind might continue to be willing but her body might fail and at 45kg you may not be able to carry her if her legs are failing. We currently have an 11.5 year old large breed dog here with arthritis and she is doing really, really well on Sacsha's Blend. I would talk to your vet about injections and supplements that might keep her mobility up as long as possible as there are a few different options on the market.

You are to be commended for raising this girl to such a grand old age.

Our GSD had arthritis and was on monthly cartrophen injections for the last couple of years of his life, they helped enormously and were not too expensive. He was also on fish oil and glucosamine. Mobic daily and tramadol on ocassion, usually cold days. He was kept lean to keep the weight off his joints.

In warmer weather swimming is excellent exercise for arthritic dogs as there is no pressure on their joints.

As far as knowing when the right time is, it is so very difficult. But a great vet once told me "better a day too early than a day too late" If she is still mobile, eating well and not in constant pain or distress, IMO it's not yet a day too late. she looks very contented in that photo.

Edited by ash1