Has Anyone Ever Judged The Way You Raise Your Dog?

Steph M

I'd reply to your uncle and say 'If that's how most dogs were raised there would probably a lot more happier dogs out there' :p

My mum raises her nose at our dogs being inside, last time they stayed she was convinced her clothes smelt of dog when she got home. Dramatic much

And of course the dogs were not allowed in their room, they even sleep down the other end of the house.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've not had judgement on the way I raise my girls, but I have had judgement over my doggy passion (or obsession). One of my sisters HATED how much time I spent at dog shows - which is not all that often, this was sparked by me going to two shows in a month - but I ignored it until we had a blow up over something else and she realised how much they mean to me, and that this isn't a passing phase (nearly 4 years now!) and now she buys me spotty cushions and cute fridge magnets that say "my next dog will be normal" and it cracks me up. She has totally come around to my side.

I ignored it, totally kept pursuing my passion and not hiding it. She made me feel bad that I should love something like this (she's totally into Raw food and no sugar and all that which I find equally strange).

Maybe he saw it and felt bad about how his dogs live? Idk, just a thought.

That's good she's come around to your side. I don't think non dog people really understand the commitment levels that we can get. You should've heard some of the comments from family friends when Mum told them I'm entering shows and training for trials... Apparently that's a horrible hobby and will repel men!

Haha to the bolded bit! My husband is a surfing/playstation type of man, hard enough to get his attention during a game but he's there ringside cheering me on, setting up my gazebo and giving me tips on handling (!) :rofl:

He knew nothing of showing 4 years ago! Partly how I knew he was the right one :laugh:

Has he got any like minded friends/brothers/cousins? laugh.gif

The comment is hilarious looking back, but it's also upsetting that you know... I'm 23 and apparently all my hobbies need to involve whether or not men find it an attractive attribute. *Grumbles*

haha sorry he was a "once off" model and his only available cousin is like 14.....lol. As good as he is with the showing though, his cleaning mechanism malfunctions regularly :laugh:

Oh yes it is a big issue in my family. My parents very seldom visit here as they can't accept the dogs. Mum believes if you have to spend any more than $100 at the vet the dog should be pts and if it is elderly looking and no longer pretty it should also go. Apparently because I have more than one they are neglected but my brother who has one dog that lives predominately outside, is fed the cheapest rubbish they can find and not taken to the vet because it is too expensive - well an ideal home.

I just ignore it nowadays. Almost never mention my dogs to any of my family and life is a lot more peaceful

I'm really glad my family is totally supportive of my hobby - my sister has a very expensive, time consuming hobby so no matter how much I spend on my dog it still pales in comparison! When Elsie stays with my dad and sister they let her sleep under the blankets and spoil her rotten and don't mind that she has to wear this coat when its cold, and gets fed this and that and isn't allowed to do such and such... They follow the rules and send me txt updates everyday when I am away :) Most of my friends are pretty supportive too, they may not be interested in what I do, but they always ask how Elsie is going and what we've been doing lately, though I'm sure some have stopped following me on facebook because of all the dog related updates!!