Angry Dogs / Angry Owner

Dave-o

A guy frequents my local park with two aggressive staffies. A few months ago one of his dogs was attacking another dog, and the distressed owner of the other dog pushed the staffy off with his foot. The staffy owner ranted in his face and for a while it really looked like violence would ensue.

There's been a number of problems with this guy over the last 6 months, but he still comes to the park and still causes trouble. Yesterday his dogs attacked a border collie, and when the young female owner complained he followed her up the street shouting.

What would be the best course of action? Nobody wants to tackle the guy directly, and I don't know where he lives. I can't imagine calling the police would go anywhere?

A guy frequents my local park with two aggressive staffies. A few months ago one of his dogs was attacking another dog, and the distressed owner of the other dog pushed the staffy off with his foot. The staffy owner ranted in his face and for a while it really looked like violence would ensue.

There's been a number of problems with this guy over the last 6 months, but he still comes to the park and still causes trouble. Yesterday his dogs attacked a border collie, and when the young female owner complained he followed her up the street shouting.

What would be the best course of action? Nobody wants to tackle the guy directly, and I don't know where he lives. I can't imagine calling the police would go anywhere?

and no one did anything? How awful for her.

I agree Rebanne. Isn't it some sort of offence to follow someone up the street shouting? I would be so terrified if that happened to me.

I would be notifying the police and the rangers and ask for advice.

Both of these bolded incidents would have been enough to have a Police vehicle attend when the incident was in progress, as he is causing a public disturbance. If the staffy owner threatened to physically harm either person they can also go into the local station after the fact and make a report.

Another option would be to chat to the ranger, tell him this guys dogs are aggressive and let them know the approximate time he is at the park each day. You would think a proactive ranger may arrange some patrols of the park around that time.

Edited by RallyValley

Report dog to dog aggression to Council and person to person aggression to the police by calling 000. Not only take photos or video but get a number plate. As much Id. info as possible. Dogs names, colours, note any id. points for the owner (scars, tattoos, habits, limps) etc. it must be reported and report early before the incident escalates. In the meantime contact the Council and alert them of the situation, asking what they would like you to do. Don't ask what to do but what to do but what the complaint process is. This sounds weird but you are letting council know that you intend to report and expect that they will act on this.

Report dog to dog aggression to Council and person to person aggression to the police by calling 000. Not only take photos or video but get a number plate. As much Id. info as possible. Dogs names, colours, note any id. points for the owner (scars, tattoos, habits, limps) etc. it must be reported and report early before the incident escalates. In the meantime contact the Council and alert them of the situation, asking what they would like you to do. Don't ask what to do but what to do but what the complaint process is. This sounds weird but you are letting council know that you intend to report and expect that they will act on this.

Do not call 000 for the incidents described above! In WA that is for emergencies only. 131 444 is the appropriate number.

Not always, but quite often people like this are cowards so if everyone got together to protect this woman and each other he may back down.

I would definitely report him to both the council and police.

Report to police - the 131444 is for police attendance and it's more direct than 000 ie you get police on the phone straight away, you don't have to go through the ambulance, fire or police bit.

Unless it's Saturday night and a full moon and then emergency services can be a bit overwhelmed.

Threats and abusive behaviour by a man - is a police matter. By a dog - is a council matter but if the dog attacks a person - or it's outside council hours - it's a police matter tho they might not want to come unless the dog has made holes in a human.

but they will come for the yelling and abuse and stalking and threatening behaviour.

If you can get video - excellent - if you can record what is being said even more excellent and if you can get a licence plate or dog rego (my, what an adorable staffy as you check the id on the collar - no id on collar - organise council to be there when they are).

Have a chat to your local police, and find out what they need from you so they can deal with the guy. They're quite helpful on what kind of evidence they need in order to take the guy away.

Sounds like the guy that moved from up the road six months ago. Both he and his two dogs were a menace. Most of the suburb became too afraid to walk past their fence and he had a few run in for walking his aggro dogs off lead on the bush path.

I would get onto council, they can just get a ranger to swing by that park and keep an eye.

I'll notify the council and hope other people have too. I'll recommend others do too.

Unfortunately the girl who was threatened was only in the area last week dog sitting for her parents. I spoke to her the day after it happened and she was still shaken up by it. I'll keep an eye out for her parents as I'd recognise the dog if I saw him again (border collie). The guy doesn't seem to be a regular in the park, I think he alternates to relinquish the heat.

Maybe I could put a poster up in the park to suggest people make a report if they see abusive behaviour or violent dogs in the park, without being too specific.

Thanks for the advice, it's hard to know what to do in a situation like this.

This doesn't sound good, what park is this happening at as I would like to avoid if possible?

It's in Scarborough beach Yonjurro.