Kennel Cough Going Around

*kirty*

There is a very contagious kennel cough going around Melbourne at the moment. Our clinic dog caught it off a patient and then infected my dogs (he is staying with us) The patient apparently caught it from their local vet clinic and he wasn't showing any signs when he came into work. Now our next door neighbours dogs are coughing! They have had no direct contact with our dogs, just barking through a solid wooden fence. My dogs are in lock down but thankfully have only had a mild case and are no longer coughing. But if your dog is immuno-compromised I'd be avoiding dog parks in the Eastern suburbs for a while.

I called my vet who's been caring for my dog with CHF because I wanted to know where my boy stood since he has not had a KC vaccination for many years. The vet said they're not seeing a greater number of KC dogs than is normal. He advised not to vaccinate my dog but to be sure to keep him well away from other dogs, which I do anyway as he's not well enough to cope with the stress/excitment of meeting new dogs.

well Collie was making an interesting noise this morning, kind of like he was trying to bring up some phlegm with his mouth closed. Of course KC was the first thing that came to mind because I'd never heard him do that before but he only had the one episode so it's possible something else had irritated him.

Either way I'll be keeping a eye on both of them tonight and no walkies till I'm sure they're ok

and a just in case FYI we were at Gardiners Creek Reserve in Burwood on Saturday and Aranga Reserve Dog park in Donvale on Sunday

Just remember there are 8 strains of KC and only two are covered under the vaccines..... By Jean Dodds the vaccine only lasts 6 months....

Have run a boarding kennel for 20 years and not had any kennel cough (touch wood) - my own dogs don't have the KC vaccinations.

no need to panic unless you have a dog who is unwell and his immune levels are low....

Let your dogs have their normal fun and frolic..... keeping them robust and healthy is more important than worrying about a bit of a cough.

Edited by alpha bet

Well Collie is definitely sick, seems to be getting worse over the last couple of days but he's still active and eating well.

Annoyingly that's put a stop to our lure coursing plans this weekend and Kepala next weekend :(

I don't know when the last time Collie was vaccinated for KC, I don't think he has been since his puppy vacs. Sarah was vaccinated for KC by the rescue before I got her so that would have been March/April last year and so far she seems fine. Although I can't help but cringe when her and collie are playing licky face :p

Yep, but it can be dangerous for very young, very old and immune compromised dogs. Ironically my 12yo dog with cancer has not contracted it. None of my dogs are vaccinated for KC.

I sure hope your boy doesn't get it and I hope my CHF boy doesn't catch it either. He's just stabilising from the CHF attack. We're in the catchment area so here's hoping they keep safe.

Wondering whether it will be safe to take my dog out and about this weekend - was planning to go down to either the bushlands or the beach.. now that your Collie is sick I am getting worried! My girl is unvacced for KC too and as I am leaving her to go on holidays soon I really can't risk having her sick at all.......

Edited by silentchild

I deliberately choose not to vacc for KC and two of mine haven't developed it. Jolie and Rocky got a very mild case, Blue and Toby had a moderate case but no secondary infections thankfully. One more week and we can leave the house! :)

Wondering whether it will be safe to take my dog out and about this weekend - was planning to go down to either the Glenfern Valley bushlands or the beach.. now that your Collie is sick I am getting worried! My girl is unvacced for KC too and as I am leaving her to go on holidays soon I really can't risk having her sick at all.......

I called our vet and they haven't seen any more cases than usual. Maybe just steer clear of dog heavy places

It's going around Darwin too atm. I don't vaccinate against it and only one of my 4 dogs has it. His brother (doesn't live with us but they do have playdates) also has it. He has been coughing for 2 days and just today started bringing up phlegm. He is still eating and playing and other than not being happy about the coughing up he seems bright enough.