Neighbours Dog Barking

tesslc

Hi all

This topic may be in the wrong place but I need some advice on whether to approach our neighbours about their barking dog.

They've got a German Shepard - maybe 8 mths old. When they got him he would bark at our dogs through the fence so they weed matted their fence. That stopped him barking at our dogs but for the last week he has barked ALL night. And I mean all night non-stop.

The first night I went out and had a look - our dogs were fine but I thought there might be a snake or something. Nope. He was just standing at their gate barking at nothing. They were home (in bed I assume). Since they he's barked every night.

They had bark busters there last week (before the barking started) and again today, so they must be trying to fix the problem. The thing is our relationship isn't great and I don't want to make it worse by asking them if they are aware their dog is barking all night. But I also don't know how many more nights I can go on being woken up every hour by their dog barking!

Any suggestions??

I found a letter on my council website which was to print off and give to your neighbor in a situation like this. I just did this as a neighbor's dog was barking itself hoarse. It wasn't massively bothering me but some other neighbors thought it was my dogs! So I did the letter in the letter box, didn't sign it, and things have been heaps better. I hardly ever hear the dogs now.

It always amazes me that people can sleep through a dog barking at night :mad Often the solution is simply to bring the dog inside at night - even a laundry area may be good enough to stop the problem but some people are so stubborn and determined that their dog be an "outside" dog.

I would be putting a note in their letter box also just saying that you are aware that they are addressing the problem but were they aware that the dog is barking at night? That is very reasonable under the circumstances.

You have three options say nothing,talk to them or contact the council.

Whilst i think bark busters are useless they obviously are trying to address the issue so give them bonus points for that .

If ii was to approach i would sooner do it face to face ,i would be making sure your greatful that they are seeking help in this matter but barking through the night is very trying on everyone .

Our back neighbour apparently at times has deafness to all night barking & i make it well known ,not only is it selfish & annoying the dog is also suffering & will be the one to suffer the most in the end Maybe the rent with a no dog inside policy but reality is a barking dog is no fun .

I would put a note in their letterbox just mentioning you're aware they're working on the barking, but did they know it had recently become nightly. As someone who had people go straight to council about our dog barking at people walking past while we were at work - I would have much preferred they dropped a note in the mailbox or stuck their head over the fence when we were about...having the council involved stressed me out quite a bit!

Thanks guys. Jemmy the same neighbours complained to the Council about our dogs barking at people walking past, which is partly why the relationship is strained.

I actually hadn't thought about a note in the letter box. I'm going to do that tomorrow.

Don't go straight to the council. Put a nice letter in there letterbox just letting them know that the dog is barking at night. I also had this happen a weak individual went straight to the council for my dogs barking between 8am and 9am Mon - Fri as I live next to a alley way and school kids bash on the fence.A nice letter from the person would of alerted me to it and I would of fixed the issue which I have. Lets just say all neighbour's got a letter from me stating my displeasure at there weak act.

Thanks guys. Jemmy the same neighbours complained to the Council about our dogs barking at people walking past, which is partly why the relationship is strained.

Ugh, that sucks. I still have no idea who ours was...I know it wasn't either of our fenceline neighbours... One of them had the same thing happen. Good luck, I hope you get a full nights sleep soon! :)

Guest crazydoglady99

I think its tough because you don't want to make "you" the problem, which is why some people go straight to the council (to keep the issue between the dogs owners and the council, rather than make it personal).

I don't have much advice to offer. Feel sad for the dog, and sorry for you!

Hope you get it sorted.

I don't want to go to the council - hopefully an anonymous letter will be enough. I feel horrible for the dog - poor thing's throat must be so raw!

I am wondering whether Bark Busters suggested the dog sleep outside as part of its 'training' as the barking only started after BB attended the first time.

Maybe you could approach it as more of a friendly curiosity that at the same time makes them aware you know there is an issue, something like:

Hey I noticed *** seems to be barking heaps more since Bark Busters was here, have they got you doing some sort of training with him?

Might start more of a conversation rather than it sounding like an accusation if you know what I mean.

Maybe you could approach it as more of a friendly curiosity that at the same time makes them aware you know there is an issue, something like:

Hey I noticed *** seems to be barking heaps more since Bark Busters was here, have they got you doing some sort of training with him?

Might start more of a conversation rather than it sounding like an accusation if you know what I mean.

That's not a bad idea - I probably could approach it in a "how are you finding BB? We are thinking of getting training for Tully (our fence barker)" then work it into the conversation. Things are a bit tense since they reported us to the council so it might break that awkwardness as well by making it seem like we are taking their concerns seriously.

I would approach your neighbour in a friendly manner. I had to do this with my neighbour's dog that was barking in the middle of the night for weeks on end. When I approached the neighbour I found out the owner was in hospital and the dog was fretting (they had other family members staying there that left the dog outside). I just asked if they could keep it inside at night and all was good after that.

I had a previous neighbour complain about my dogs years back. They went straight to council which was most upsetting. They claimed my dogs were outside barking ALL night ... what they didn't know is I had an emergency where one dog attacked my cat and I had to rush the cat to the vet in the middle of the night. I was gone 2 hours ... yep 2 hours, hardly all night. Anyway after getting the letter from the Council I rang them and explained what had happened and why the dog was left outside away from my other cats (dog was usually inside at night). The council were very understanding and dismissed their case completely. It would have been much nicer if the neighbour had approached me directly.

Wear ear plugs :)

I would knock on their door and have a friendly chat. You have dogs too, you know the score. Sounds to me like they're aware of the issue and they're trying, so utilise that to your advantage. Suggest they have the dog indoors at night, or they put a crate in the laundry as Poodle Wrangler said. It could be an opportunity to improve relations with your neighbours, you're both dog owners so have something in common.

I would try talking to them about it first - in a friendly way.

I've received notice from the council about one of my dogs barking. It's very unpleasant and will cause problems with your neighbours. This was for a one off incident when we went out for an evening and left him outside - we had no idea there was even a problem and have since taken measures to make sure it doesn't happen again. In our case, we leave him inside at night if we are going out and he's fine (or at least there have been no further complaints) - maybe your neighbours will take similar measures? Some dogs just can't be outside all night long without causing problems.

Hi all

As an update I had a quick chat to them and they were aware that the barking is an issue, although they admitted they didn't hear it as much as we did, simply because of where their windows are positioned. I explained that I understood she's still a puppy, but the barking all night was getting a bit much. Since then - no barking!

The girl admitted she had been a bit slack walking their dog, as she'd come down with the flu, and that if she wasn't worn out, she tended to bark all night. I'm hoping they will be concious of this and make an effort to walk her every day.

And yes - BB did tell them to Baaa at her (which apparently makes her bark even more :confused: )