My Experience With Male Vs Female

Ivory & Beau

I felt like I should get a boy for our second dog rather than another girl, but as much as I love other people's boys I just like the girls more and just cross my fingers that little miss insolent puppy doesn't turn evil (if anyone picks a fight in the future it will be her).

My older bitch is Velcro dog in that she follows me around the house, must be in the same room as me and she cries and belly crawls if I'm late getting home, but she's happy to be next to me, not on me and she's not overly demanding for affection most of the time. Even as a puppy she was a bit more aloof but needy in her own way,

The puppy is much more affectionate and wants to be on me and near me desperately, my poor OH can be up one end of the house with them and they're both glued to the baby gate watching the other end of the house for me to emerge. So it's definitely not true in my case that the bitches gravitate to male family members over me.

If we ever got a 3rd dog I would get a boy though, but if we keep just having two probably another girl.

I have two boys and two girls and honestly, they're all so different that it's hard to say which I prefer.

The grumpy old man is generally pretty sweet but he needs his space and can't tolerate rude dogs at all. The old girl also needs her space and really only likes the old boy but she's very tolerant of silly dogs and incredibly mellow. They've been together for several years and the old grump definitely wears the pants in that relationship. If he's feeling benevolent, she get her ears licked by him. If he's in a mood, she steers clear.

The younger boy (Idiot Dog) is clingy to the point of being a bit annoying but the younger girl (Shitty Whippet) is just as bad in her own way- she lacks any understanding of personal space and would probably be even happier if she could crawl down my throat to get at my delicious internal organ warmth. In that relationship, not only does she wear the pants (at a third of his size), she's more than capable of bullying him into compliance if he doesn't do what she wants.

Almost all of my pets have been female. My foster fails, and the ones that have come veeeeeeerrrry close, have all been male. The males have had the personalities to make me fall in love with them, whereas I got my female pets through chance and didn't get to know them beforehand. Although the females have always been affectionate, the males just have this laid-back tolerance to them I find.