Bought On Limited But Breeder Will Change To Mains?

miss2

If a dog is registered on the limited register can it later be changed to main by the breeder if they want to?

I’m purely curious, I was on a facebook site the other day and saw someone advertising a litter of pups as limited register. They said if you buy one it will be on limited but they would consider changing to main down the track if they feel the pup turns out to be a nice type...

I have never heard of this and curious to know if that’s legal?

If a dog is registered on the limited register can it later be changed to main by the breeder if they want to?

I’m purely curious, I was on a facebook site the other day and saw someone advertising a litter of pups as limited register. They said if you buy one it will be on limited but they would consider changing to main down the track if they feel the pup turns out to be a nice type...

I have never heard of this and curious to know if that’s legal?

Dogs NSW will allow this if the breeder is onside as well.

From a couple of other threads here, others states do as well.

Victoria is one of the states as well.

(0n my mobile. Hard to search for the threads)

:)

Edited by VizslaMomma

Yes - it's permitted - but always the breeder's call. Will sometimes be done when the breeder and puppy buyer have esteablished a sound relationship - and will depend on whether the breeder thinks the dog is a good representative of the breed.

No - dog/puppy can't be shown unless/until it is on the Main Register.

As to why it would be done .... variety of reasons - in my case I was after a performance dog, so happy to have him on Limited - but he was show quality, and I had someone who could mentor me in the show ring, so it was the breeder's decision to put him on Main, so he could be shown. (As it happened, he was the first from 3 MR pups in the litter to get his Australian Champion title :D .)

would the dog need to be shown first for this to happen? what would breeders reasons be? would it be for breeding?

My first Sammy was bought as a pet and when he was around 7 months I mentioned to the breeder I was interested in showing. He assessed my boy and said he was good quality so changed the papers over to Mains.

I was offered to have my BC's papers changed from LR to MR when I told her breeder I'd like to try showing. When her ears didn't do the right thing I didn't pursue it. I was also offered a change with my little runt JS if he grew to standard. He didn't, plus he had other problems.

Each breeder told me they were the only ones that could make the change.

Edited by luvsdogs

*just musing here*

What about the dogs sold on Main that don't quite shape up to standard when they are fully grown. Obviously they wouldn't do well being shown but the owner could still breed them because they are on Mains? I know for the betterment of the breed they shouldn't be bred but I guess there is nothing stopping people? (no contract or anything right?)

Ok, odd thought for the day... :o

By the same there's nothing stopping anyone from breeding a dog on limited either(obviously pups can't be registered though). In the long run it all comes down to the ethics of the owner. A good breeder won't breed a dog just because it's on mains, they'll assess how it compliments their breeding plans.

I think what I was musing was you can up grade, registerwise, but not down grade?. You can breed a limited register dog all you want but you can't register the pups. But if you have a mains dog who failed the grade, nothing is stopping you from being able to register the pups (you know, if both parents are, ect)right?

Yes I guess only ethics in that case. My girl is mains registered and a breeder I hope to get a pup from in the future asked if I might breed her(pretty sure he was testing me actually since he seems pretty happy with my response ;) ) but I told him I don't think she is up to standard enough to consider breeding from her even if she wasn't desexed (which he didn't know when he asked). But in reality there isn't anything stopping you which I guess is where it comes down to good breeders choosing the animals that best suit their plans and the available mate/s and not breeding from anything that doesn't measure up.

I think what I was musing was you can up grade, registerwise, but not down grade?. You can breed a limited register dog all you want but you can't register the pups. But if you have a mains dog who failed the grade, nothing is stopping you from being able to register the pups (you know, if both parents are, ect)right?

Dogs can be downgraded from main to limited. But the reasons why a dog might not make the grade in the show ring are many and varied and it's not an automatic failure in that you don't breed from them. It is something a breeder (ethical) would consider before deciding to breed that dog.

I.E you are in a breed with strong competition, your dog has knocked a tooth out, that's enough to make it very hard to succeed in the ring, so you stop showing him. V's a dog who never had a tooth there in the first place and maybe should not be bred cause correct dentition is a very important breed feature

I changed one of mine from LR to MR. He was sold with the agreement that at a certain age he would be evaluated and the change considered. His owners turned out to be fantastic and remained interested in showing, so we upgraded him to MR! :thumbsup:

What lucky owners to have a great breeder

:thumbsup:

thanks everyone.

this is me not knowing much about showing, but does a pup have to start its show career and title career as a pup? wouldn't it be a lot harder to be switched to mains at an older age and then start showing?