Help Me With My Uni Project :)

gpapag11

Long time observer, first time posting.

I'm doing a small assignment on buyers in the pet industry, i'd love if you could answer "Yes", "No" or "Maybe" to these, or you can be more specific if you have the time!

If you were to purchase a pet or have recently,

Q. Would you travel >50KM's to purchase your new pet?

A.

Q. Would you want to meet the animals parents before purchasing?

A.

Q. Would the living conditions of the pet impact your decision (Small living area or many dogs which could indicate a puppy factory)

A.

I really appreciate it!

:)

Not to be offensive but I think you'll find your second question is too subjective to get any meaningful data from it. I doubt anyone would answer no as wanting to meet the parents is not the same as needing to meet the parents. As an example of this my older bitch was purchased from interstate, I did want to meet her parents but wasn't able to... So my answer to there question would be Yes, which probably wasn't the data you were hoping for.

And just to be helpful too my answers are;

Yes

Yes

Yes

I couldn't imagine anyone on this forum saying no to any of those questions

Yes - I have travelled 700kms round trip twice - once to see the pup and mum before paying - then again to pick up pup. Would readily do so again

yes - I would always like to see the mum and dad but I would have to see the health test results.

yes - I couldn't give anyone money who didn't treat their animals really well; that would encourage them to keep breeding and abusing the dogs

Yes

Maybe, depends really. We didn't meet our dogs parent/s until he was about 6 months old, but as they're pretty well shown and documented we were happy to go with the flow.

We did spend months building a trusting relationship with our breeder though, so it was hardly spur of the moment.

I also asked others who had met the parents what they were like and how they behaved at shows etc.

Frankly I found asking people who knew the breed what was what to be more helpful than myself watching them strut around the ring, but we are a pet home.

And yes yes yes. Won't touch a dog who we can't be assured has had a good start. We watched ours grow via Facebook from day dot.

In a perfect world....yes, yes, yes :D

In my world I really like a breeder two states away. She has a great website, which is how I've seen the parents and she's has done amazing work getting to where she is now. She's been around for many many years and Im totally trusting her in all aspects of the new puppy including making the right choice from the litter for me. Scary stuff but she knows way more than me so probably safer this way!

A. Definitely (Yes)

A. Maybe - ideally yes, but that may not always be practical. If I didn't know the breeder or hadn't met many of their dogs then yes I would want to, if I had a good relationship with them I would take their word or if it was on recommendation of someone I trusted. But ideally I want to at least meet mum.

Q. Would the living conditions of the pet impact your decision (Small living area or many dogs which could indicate a puppy factory)

A. Yes. If I don't like the living conditions at the breeders then I won't purchase from them.

Yes

No

No

interesting how many want to see the Mum at least

I have a litter at home, leased the Mum, whelped the pups, sent Mum and pups back when they were two weeks old, then bought pups back when they were 7 weeks old. I have no Mum to show buyers. Have Grandma and Uncle though.

My foundation bitch I did see the Mum but she had ditched the puppies at quite a young age so was put back with the other adults and I only saw the pups, no interactions with other adults.

Not every one raises pups the way I raise them. I have no problems buying a pup raised in a kennel. What's too many dogs?

A. Yes. It took me about an hour to get from home to AWL in Wingfield to get the dog I have now. Google says it should take 40 minutes but I tend to get lost out there.

A. I would prefer to - unless it's a rescue dog and then that's not always possible.

A. Yes. Small living area and many dogs - is exactly what the RSPCA and AWL are like. But if a breeder was like this - had more than 2 or 3 breeding bitches and more than 2 litters a year - I'd be running. If it was a house with "the last one of the litter" and the parent dogs were unavailable - I wouldn't even go there.