Pets Behaving Perfectly....(humans Not So Much....)

Little Gifts

I just came home from choir. Walked in the door, locked it and turned the outside light off. Said hello to a blur of fur then I went and put all my music stuff away then my bag and water bottle and got out of my jeans into my jammies. I was sitting at the computer sending an email and wondered how Tempeh was after her dinner tonight as she'd vomited up her brekkie this morning. Looked. No Tempeh. Called. No Tempeh. Scrambled madly through every room in the house, lighting the place up like a Christmas tree. No Tempeh. Got the torch and went out the back. No Tempeh. Calming myself I turned on the front light and opened the front door and there she was sitting quietly on the front door mat like this kind of thing happened to her all the time! I was so proud of her!

No idea how she walked past me while I was coming in as it is not a usual thing for her to do. The front gate on the verandah was closed but not properly latched so if she was so inclined she could've gone for a late night wander. But luckily she is a homebody like her mum!

What have your fur kids done lately to make you proud when you have done something stoopid?

Not so much lately but a while back I used to have an aviary in my backyard that housed a group of quail. Walking down the hallway I looked up and could see the aviary door was open through the back window and my heart sank thinking the quail were surely torn apart by the dogs. Raced outside and sascha was sleeping in her bed and dashed around the back to find Josie lying in the middle of the lawn wagging her tail with 10 quail lying all over the grass in a circle around her...sunning themselves with their wings outstretched and looking very chilled. Josie was very proud of the little flock of quails she got to guard :D

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I came home one night the other week to find the house full of smoke :eek: Someone (Quinn I assume) had somehow knocked over the little oil column heater I had been leaving on as my house is freezing during winter, the oil had leaked out and started burning against the heat of the column heater. Thankfully the circuit breaker had tripped and the power had gone off before things got worse.

Anyway, in my panicked realisation that I needed to find the source of the smoke and make sure the dogs were ok I left the front door wide open. I realised there was no fire then instantly realised the dogs had run off after I'd opened the living area door and determined that they were ok. I ran back to the front door and there they all were just sniffing around the lawn in the unfenced yard.

Multiple crises averted, phew! And no more heater for the dogs :mad

A few years ago we were leaving for a day out and husband ran inside to get something, returned to car and we left. Approx 8 hours later we returned to find one of the dogs sitting at the front door, waiting for us to return. We did have a front fence but he was tiny and could have easily fit through the gaps. Husband got a talking to about checking that no dogs slipped out of the door in the future.

Sarah slipped out the side gate when OH was mowing the lawns a few weeks ago, we had no idea until we heard this weird little bark. Went investigating and realised Sarah wasn't in the house, opened the front door and there she was wanting to be let back inside.

I was sooo incredibly proud of her, when we first got Sarah she bolted out the front door a couple of times and earlier in the year they both went walk-about when a strong gust of wild blew the gate open when we weren't home.

Not to mention she NEVER barks at the back door to be let in but had the initiative to know she needed to bark out the front :D

A few weeks ago I had had a late night at work and an early start. I managed to get up, put clothes on, put harnesses, collars and muzzles on the dogs, then headed outside. I carry the leashes to the back gate, everyone lines up and when everyone is still and quiet, leashes get clipped on and the gate is opened. We all go out, stop, I shut the gate, then give them the cue to walk on. That morning we went to the back gate, lined up, I opened the gate, went outside, turned and shut the gate, turned back again and though that Paige was a little bit further ahead, right on the edge of the curb, than usual. Then I looked down and say four leashes in my hand, unattached, and four loose greyhounds standing beside me. So I very quietly and calmly began leashing up, praying that the local scrub turkeys, cats and small fluffies weren't going to come wandering by. Paige, meanwhile began edging towards the road and I didn't want to step towards her in case she took off or the others worked out they were loose. Instead, I called her and to my delight Paige came over with a very pleased look on her face, lined up beside the others and let me leash her.

I couldn't be more happy with my gang. And I'm just so thankful that we have a set routine of movement and cues to stop or go which we use every morning, because everyone obviously knew that we didn't walk across the road until I said 'Right then! Off we go!'. Wouldn't want to test it with something to chase nearby.

When ZsaZsa was alive, she would stand on point WITH the tiel on her head.

Said tiel would be calling out to me ' Momma, that bird, Momma, that bird'.

She never ever hurt any of the birds. They rather like to ride on her head at times.

Gabor was my Heart dog. I was really very very ill. Had to call 000. Only way for the Ambos to enter was to come via the laundry AND Gabor.

When they arrived, they called out to tell me his eyes were 'funny' & they were not prepared to enter. They offered to call the Police ( right).

I had commands for Gabor we had not practiced for a long time. He would be asked to Sit, Drop ,Stay in Hungarian.

I gave him the words.

Bless his soul, he obeyed. The Ambos were so impressed.

:)

When we moved house we left spud in the back yard while we went to do the shopping.

Came back a few hours later and as we were driving up the street I noticed something move in the back of hubbys ute (The ute was parked on the kerb on the main street next to our house). Got a bit closer and there is our little white dog happily perched in the tray smiling at us!

Turns out he climbed the fence when we left and didn’t know where he was. The neighbours said they tried to catch him but he just jumped in the ute and stayed there. guess he figured he wouldn’t get left behind if he stayed in dads truck lol bless him

This just happened the other weekend, so the thread is quite timely :p

I took Tux to a friends house for the night (he'd stayed there before quite happily) while my friend and I went out. Tux decided he didn't want to be left behind though and according to the neighbour, slipped under the fence and hung around the front yard for two hours. The neighbour didn't have our numbers (one of my mistakes right here) and he wouldn't go to her. Twenty minutes before we got home he took off. I spent Saturday night from ten (when we got home) till one thirty in the morning running through the estate, driving down roads and screaming out his name. I held it together until my friend said we needed to wait until morning, then I was hysterical. We were both exhausted and running out of petrol, I hoped he'd found himself to someone's house but I doubted it. I left a blanket that had my scent where he was last seen (about two kilometres from the house). I didn't sleep much at all, stirred at every noise and kept kicking myself for being so stupid.

Anyway at three thirty (two hours after we stopped looking) I heard a few barks at the door, ran out of bed and ripped the door open and he ran inside. I have no idea how he found his way back to the house when he's never been walked around that neighbourhood and he was already out of the estate when he was last spotted. First time he's ever escaped and I am definitely not planning on a second one. He was so thirsty and his paw pads were scraped up a bit but I was so happy to see his goofy face.

Very bad human, very smart dog.

Back when our Dobie was under a year-old, my BF and I went to one of his friend's cottages with the Dobe and our ACD. The dogs had never been there, had never seen these people, and certainly did not know the beach area. But, over the couple of hours before the sun went down, we took them all over the place on-leash, to get them used to the whole area and even at that age, the Dobie had extremely good recall to a double whistle. To get to the beach, you had to walk down at least 50 steps, since the cottage was on a steep hill. I decided to go down to the beach for a swim with the dogs, and I put glow-sticks on their collars. The night was so dark (a new moon kinda night), I could see their glow-sticks bouncing around, and knew where they were. Once in a while I would do the whistle and they would both come flying over.

While I was sitting, relaxing in the sand, watching the stars, I looked over to the dogs, and I could see the Dobe's colour of glow-stick hanging over the ACD's glow-stick. I thought the ACD was laying down and the Dobe was bugging him. Not unusual for those two, lol. Next thing I know, the Dobe is on top of me and super insistent about something. I called the ACD and noticed the glow-stick didn't move. Called again, and along with the Dobe, walked over to where the glow-stick was. That's all it was...just the glow-stick, no dog. Now normally, our ACD is a total Momma's boy and won't go too far from me. The Dobe and I started walking up the beach, calling his name. Calling and calling! Unfortunately, it was also pretty windy that night, so I couldn't hear a thing! The Dobe was sticking pretty close to my side, but you could tell he was searching! Nose in the air, whining...

Decided to climb back up to the cottage, to ask for help. I was almost in tears by this point and the Dobe was almost beside himself. I got to the top of the steps, and there was the ACD, waiting for me. My BF said that he just showed up and he figured that I had sent the ACD up to them for some reason. He said that at one point, the ACD had gone halfway down the stairs, listening, but came back up and plonked himself back down at the top, staring down the stair-case. Did I mention that everyone was roasting hotdogs on a campfire?

I gave in and both dogs got a lovely, campfire-cooked hot dog.

These stories are so cute. Love Spud waiting in the ute :laugh:

I remembered another one from back when I only had Saxon. We had gone to my parents house and my step dad wanted him outside while we ate so I put him out the back on the deck. In a total stupid human moment I blocked off the top of the steps down from the deck without even registering that the side of the stairs was open and Saxon could just walk straight on to them. I went back inside and as soon as I left him Saxon went straight down the stairs, out of the back yard and around to the front door where he scratched at the window next to the door until I came and let him in :laugh:

We have a couple of rabbits and they live in a big double run that requires taking them out to move around. While the runs are being moved, we have two spare cages they go in. My bunny is trained to hop into one of those blue pop-up kennels to be moved around (both are ex meat farm rabbits and not tame enough to pick up) so moving him around, in theory, should be really easy. A few weeks ago, the OH was helping me move the runs and as usual, Shitty Whippet wanted to come out and watch. No problems, until the OH decides he's capable of putting my rabbit back- he leans over, opens the cage door for the waiting bun but somehow forgets to put the pop-up kennel in front for him to climb into. I turned around just in time to see my rabbit hopping off across the yard, the OH panics and calls out to me which meant Shitty Whippet was also now aware of tasty escapee (she'd been pottering around the other side of the yard). Obviously, Shitty Whippet beat me to the rabbit and for a second there, I expected her to do what sighthounds do. Instead, Shitty Whippet play-bowed at him, pranced around him for a few moments and when he didn't bow back, went running off to the OH, presumably to dob on the bunny for being out of his house.

Thank god for prey drive fail.

This morning our two toy poodles who always get into bed with us when the sun peeks through, wouldn't settle properly and were quite restless. They weren't asking to 'go outside' but were not their usual selves. My OH getting sick of their antics got out of bed and then the phone rang. It was very early and not a time when anyone would ring us. It was my elderly mother who was very ill and needed an ambulance. As we live a distance from her I immediately called 000 and she was taken to hospital. It seems she has suffered a stroke - not bad, however, she is still in hospital. Now, if the dogs hadn't been restless my OH wouldn't have gotten out of bed so early and we would have missed the call. My mother was too ill to remember the emergency number, but remembered my number :(

Did the dogs know something? I'm not sure, but it's lucky they were so annoying :)

Our guys got out one night and we didn't know until we went out and whistled for them, and in they came totally out of breath...I thought it seemed odd so looked and saw the gate had been left open. They had been galavanting around having a brilliant time :eek: but had come running as soon as we whistled for them :) Another time we got home to Lili on the front doorstep, there was no front fence and she'd escaped and just waited for us. I figure they're so spoilt they've no real reason to run away :laugh:

Mmmm I left Jake in hubby's care while I went to get groceries. He is DA and has sep Anx so he's always left in care of someone and is supposed to be behind to locked gates. Came home and found OH snoring on the couch with the dog locked out the front. He was sitting on the bench besieged by baby ducklings who believe since he hangs out with me when I feed them that he is able to fetch them food. Luckily the one gate was locked and he doesn't mind ducklings. And that folks is why OH was never left in charge of the kids.