Breeding My Papillon

LittleMissy

I read your post in the pap thread. It sounds like your girl was sold to you as a pet, in which case it's likely that her breeder felt that while she was of course perfectly healthy she may not have been suited to a show/breeding home. The best advise is to go back and talk to her breeder as they will be able to assess her suitability and how well she fits the breed standard. There's no point breeding her just because puppies are cute or you'd like a litter, it does nothing for her healh wise and there are a lot of risks(yes, she could die :( ). Apart from that it's detrimental to the breed if people breed dogs just for the sake of it without a proper understanding of the health testing and suitability of mates, etc, etc.

If you need to ask an internet forum how to go about breeding your dog you probably shouldn't be breeding her

Not dog should be bred without the express permission and guidance (if you're a newbie) of your dogs breeder.

If you are interested in becoming a breeder this should probably have been discussed before you purchased a puppy

Thank you for your replies

When looking for a papillon there was a lot of breeders that had not for showing/breeding. I don't think my breeder had that. Of course I wouldn't just breed her for the sake of it. If I decide to go ahead I'll go through all the right channels. I also like the fact that when looking for Lilly it was very hard finding her. I was looking for about 6 months as only breeders really have them, not pet shops etc which I think is great. I would never breed her unless I thought, first of her best interest and of course if I was capable of it.

I will email my breeder and ask what she thinks.

Thanks again for your input.

If you need to ask an internet forum how to go about breeding your dog you probably shouldn't be breeding her

Not dog should be bred without the express permission and guidance (if you're a newbie) of your dogs breeder.

If you are interested in becoming a breeder this should probably have been discussed before you purchased a puppy

Yes you are true in what you are saying. Totally agree.

I just emailed my breeder asking some questions on breeding, becoming a breeder, risks, if I'm suited, progress, etc

Guest donatella

Breeding toy breeds isn't all cute puppies lots of heartbreak make sure you're well informed. There's no way I could endure putting my tinies through breeding unless for 100% the right reasons

I have spoken to my breeder and this is what she has advised me. If I decide I will go through with breeding I will go through the right measures as the breeder suggest below.

I have advised her as well that if I decide I'm not capable of becoming a breeder then I won't do it. It's a huge decision.

I don't have an issue with you breeding from Lilly as long as you do it

responsibly.

You seem to have done a great job with Lilly and I'm thrilled that she has

gone to such a loving home.

I adore my dogs and they are very much part of my family.

If you want to breed pedigreed pups you need to become a member of your

state canine council--Dogs NSW

Then you need to get a breeders prefix. Of course there is a fee to both

and I think you are required to "pass a written assessment"

To get your breeders prefix. They are trying to prevent puppy farms. I am

sure that the information will be available on their web site.

Breeding toy breeds isn't all cute puppies lots of heartbreak make sure you're well informed. There's no way I could endure putting my tinies through breeding unless for 100% the right reasons

It's a huge step and I'll do a lot of researching,

Breeding dogs I have done twice. Once with my female Maltese and once with my female Alaskan malamute which she needed. A c-section.

If I was to go through with it I'd become a breeder with my pap

Lots to think about. Ty

Before you go looking for stud dogs, do you know the virtues and faults of Lilly so you know what attributes a male would need

Ian

Birikino Papillons

Your breeder has given sound advice :)

Oh - and we really need pics of to see this gorgeous girl ;)

Lilly

Your dog is very cute :love: so now you need to find out all about any health checks, patellas & any other issues known to the breed.

Make sure her back is nice & straight & her legs & feet don't turn in or out in any odd way. Check the standard & if you can't get anyone experienced to have a look at her for you make sure you understand it properly & ask questions if you don't.

Everyone has to start somewhere. No one started off knowing it all so don't feel silly asking questions. Its better to ask about anything you are not sure about than to struggle along.

As always opinions will vary on many aspects so use your common sense in considering all info. Best of luck :)

Edited by Christina