Dental Treatment

chooka

My 11 year old terrier cross is in need of some dental work. I have been given a quote of between $500 and $700. I know it depends on how many teeth need to extracted and anything else they might find. I have thought of taking him to another vet but for another quote but I will have to pay for another consultation fee. Is this a reasonable quote? Hoping for advice.

Thankyou

Dental charges vary so much however at his age he will need pre blood tests & fluids so thats over $100 instantly. I think it is worth getting a 2nd quote.

The actual cost for pulling a tooth out is not so much so 2 or 4 teeth won't be that much difference its all the other bits like the anaesthetic, cleaning, painkillers, antibiotic etc that bulk the bill up. I have had quotes that have varied $250 for the same work.

Depends how comfortable you are with the vet doing the work too.

Edited by Christina

Many vets offer free dental checks these days where they can give you a quote without the cost of a consult.

Appointments usually take only 5 minutes and are strictly limited to examining and discussing the teeth. Any other issues addressed will most likely involve a fee being charged.

Buts it's worth checking to see if they offer free dental checks.

My 11 year old terrier cross is in need of some dental work. I have been given a quote of between $500 and $700. I know it depends on how many teeth need to extracted and anything else they might find. I have thought of taking him to another vet but for another quote but I will have to pay for another consultation fee. Is this a reasonable quote? Hoping for advice.

Thankyou

That sounds expensive to me, my BSD just had a lipoma behind her elbow removed together with a dental plus one molar extraction for $533.

Thankyou

That sounds expensive to me, my BSD just had a lipoma behind her elbow removed together with a dental plus one molar extraction for $533.

I think you got yourself a good deal.

The cost of dentistry, like many other procedures, is relative and the only way to compare prices is to know exactly what is included in the estimated cost - blood tests, IV fluids, dental radiographs, local anaesthetic blocks, gingival flaps, sutured wounds etc or what is a 'standard' kind of dental in many practices of scale and polish and remove teeth that are wiggly or very diseased.

I recently paid just over $500 with a pensioner discount for a 12 year old dog to have his teeth cleaned and two removed. I noticed on the bill that they said something about anaesthetizing an elderly dog which I assumed cost more. I think what you have been quoted is reasonable.

My 3 y/o little JS had a dental 2 weeks ago. It cost $399 which included anaesthesia, bloods & IV fluids. I was asked what I'd be willing to pay if something else needed doing, either $250, $500 or $1000, & they couldn't get in touch with me. I opted for $250. If I hadn't they said he'd have to be woken up & it would cost more to do what would be needed. Luckily he didn't need any extras.

I took my JS pup to the pet dentist & the initial consult fee was over $400.

Lucky had his dental surgery today, three teeth removed, ears checked and they also clipped his nails, it is a job I dislike because his nails are black and I can`t see the quick not to mention how much he fidgets.

All up it cost $500 which I thought was reasonable. The quote they gave me was over the top but I think it was covering all bases. No more bad breath Yeh!!