Behaviour At The Vet

BarbedWire

My smaller dog, Missy, a mixed breed, has taken a strong dislike to vets. Over the last twelve months she has become more and more anxious. When I put her up on the table she growls when the vet approaches, and most of the vets want to muzzle her. She hasn't always been like this and has never taken exception to anyone else approaching her and was always good at the 'Stand for Exam' at obedience trials. That being said she is however an anxious hyper sort of dog. I don't like her being muzzled because I think it makes her more fearful and the first time she was muzzled it didn't fit properly and it seemed to me to be pressing on her eye. Perhaps she is just sensing my tension.

It's a group practice and it isn't only the one vet she is reacting to, but several. However she is better with some of them. I keep wondering if something frightening has happened to her there. She has trouble with her nails which split right down to the base and I have left her there to have a couple cut right back which I thought was done under anaesthetic. Does anyone know what happens when their nails are cut right back? The last time when I picked her up the discharging vet said they had had some problems with her because she had escaped from her cage.

I am not sure what to do. ATM I try to avoid taking her to a vet at all which is probably not a good thing. Should I change vets? Should I just tell her to behave herself? How do your dogs behave at the vets?

I am not sure what to do. ATM I try to avoid taking her to a vet at all which is probably not a good thing. Should I change vets? Should I just tell her to behave herself? How do your dogs behave at the vets?

Sorry to hear this. Not sure that telling little Missy to behave herself would work.

I am only surmising but it does seem something traumatic happpened at that practice.

Maybe ask a little more about what happened when she escaped? Or ask why no-one ever bothered to tell you there was a problem with Missy when she attended there for treatment.

Maybe you need more info and then decide what methods to use to allievate Missy's worries.

Our Vizslas are party animals at the Vets. The Heart Dog, Gabor, used to think a visit was his chance to kiss all the girls there. I am a bit strange though. I seat them away from everyone else. And I always check first before entering if there is a long wait.

When there is such a wait, we stay outside. We enter when called.

Gabor used to be muzzled & sedated to have his talons trimmed. However I ended up using an Adaptil collar. We would just go to the Vet's for a visit. No treatments. After about 9 months, he could tolerate his nails being trimmed without any sedation.

The other dogs never minded going to the Vet, even when a thermometer was used you know where :eek:

:)

THanks VM. She doesn't just have her nails trimmed they are cut right back to the base which last time included the quick because the outer nail shell had split. The first time t he vet just removed the outer nail and left the quick intact. She has a problem that the sides of her nails grow unevenly. I have to keep filing them back.

By telling her to behave just means me being the one in charge with ultra calm strong body language which usually works with her when she is being a bit stroppy with other dogs.

Edited by sarsaparilla

THanks VM. She doesn't just have her nails trimmed they are cut right back to the base which last time included the quick because the outer nail shell had split. The first time t he vet just removed the outer nail and left the quick intact. She has a problem that the sides of her nails grow unevenly. I have to keep filing them back.

By telling her to behave just means me being the one in charge with ultra calm strong body language which usually works with her when she is being a bit stroppy with other dogs.

I get that pov.

But if wee Missie has traumatic memories, she may need to be desensitized.

Of course, your being the Leader will guide her. But maybe a bit more is needed for both of you.

Her nails sound the same as Gabor's were. And my 10 month old puppy appears to be growing the same type.

I got badly scratched yesterday on my hands when he accidently swiped me with his paw.

I have paper-thin skin that tears easily.

:(

If possible, take her to the vet and just sit in the waiting room, feed her treats, etc. And then leave. I'd do that as often as possible to try and break the negative association. Also when you do need to see the vet, ask them to go slowly and feed the dog treats before doing anything.

And I would also buy a dremel and do her nails at home. Cutting nails to the quick is painful and I don't blame her for hating the vets!

I agree with Kirty - take her to the vet just to visit, give treats, have the receptionist/nurse give her a treat, etc and leave. Make it a positive experience.

It also might be a good idea to get her used to wearing a muzzle, just in case she has to be muzzled again, so she is used to it. A good reminder - I should do that too, a good thing to get them used to in any case!

Thankyou for those posts. Kirty I assumed that when her nails were cut back she was anaesthetized. That was my understanding. Kavik I will have a go at desensitizing her, but I do hate seeing her muzzled. She really is a sweet girl just very frightened, and I feel guilty that she doesn't trust me to keep her safe and that she has to look out for herself. Perhaps that's just my issues though.

Muzzling helps keep everybody safe. My dogs are very people friendly, love everybody, and they are generally good at the vet, but do not always like it when the vet has to touch something that is sore. Diesel is fine, but the Kelpies can be more sensitive under that sort of pressure. I have no problem with muzzling them if they are causing a problem at the vet, so that the vet can do their job and find out what the problem is, without being bitten. It does not mean the dog is bad, or that you are a bad owner. It is simply for safety. The vet won't think badly of you or your dog.

Edited by Kavik

If possible, take her to the vet and just sit in the waiting room, feed her treats, etc. And then leave. I'd do that as often as possible to try and break the negative association. Also when you do need to see the vet, ask them to go slowly and feed the dog treats before doing anything.

And I would also buy a dremel and do her nails at home. Cutting nails to the quick is painful and I don't blame her for hating the vets!

Good idea :thumbsup: Over the years When taking my dogs to the Vets regardless

is they are calm or a bit concerned the vets always share a treat before and after :D

Thankyou for those posts. Kirty I assumed that when her nails were cut back she was anaesthetized. That was my understanding. Kavik I will have a go at desensitizing her, but I do hate seeing her muzzled. She really is a sweet girl just very frightened, and I feel guilty that she doesn't trust me to keep her safe and that she has to look out for herself. Perhaps that's just my issues though.

My suggestion would be to stop hating it and start seeing it as a method of safely managing your dog's anxiety. Muzzling a dog doesn't hurt it. It makes it far safer for the vet, far more relaxing for you and my guess is far less anxious for the dog.

A soft muzzle is no big deal. It certainly isn't a bad reflection on you as a dog owner.

Learn to trim your dogs nails if you don't do it already - agree that a Dremel is a wonderful thing.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Muzzles help everyone relax. We often use them if we are unsure because it means the anxiety levels go down for vets and owners, which can also help the dog calm down too. We spray DAP in the consult room too. Anything to help the dogs feel safe and calm.

Do you know eons ago, like in childhood, the family Vet told us this.

Let your dog(s)/pets know us when they are not sick too.

I found that so practical.

:D

Thankyou everyone. I will try some of the suggestions. The issue is not just her nails. Her anxiety started before she had the second nail removed too. I think she just doesn't like being poked and prodded. Recently I took her to the vet because she was holding her head to one side and I thought she might have something in it. At the vets she was extremely agitated but mainly as soon as I put her up on the table and once off the table she settled down.

Where would I get a muzzle? I don't know anything about them.

Thankyou everyone. I will try some of the suggestions. The issue is not just her nails. Her anxiety started before she had the second nail removed too. I think she just doesn't like being poked and prodded. Recently I took her to the vet because she was holding her head to one side and I thought she might have something in it. At the vets she was extremely agitated but mainly as soon as I put her up on the table and once off the table she settled down.

Where would I get a muzzle? I don't know anything about them.

The vets would have one they can use. It's not that unusual to have to muzzle a dog to examine it. I'm sure if you suggest she be muzzled for examination, they won't resist! :)

If you want one for home, then one like this one would be fine. Just remember that these are only to be used while the dog is supervised and only for a short period of time.

Thankyou HW. I will get one of those. The ones the vet used were different and I felt did not really fit her which made me uncomfortable. If I arrive at the vet with an already muzzled dog I will be much more relaxed about everything which will help her as well. I will also try some desensitization although the vet is not close to my home. I do weigh my dogs regularly at the vets though so when I weigh her I will give her some treats and use my enthusiastic happy voice. :)

Thankyou HW. I will get one of those. The ones the vet used were different and I felt did not really fit her which made me uncomfortable. If I arrive at the vet with an already muzzled dog I will be much more relaxed about everything which will help her as well. I will also try some desensitization although the vet is not close to my home. I do weigh my dogs regularly at the vets though so when I weigh her I will give her some treats and use my enthusiastic happy voice. :)

My vet concerned dogs don't give a toss about how much I try to make visiting the vet a happy experience. They simply hate it. :shrug:

I would be taking her to another vets.

You should know if she had an anaesthetic. They should have told you re aftercare ?

If she was conscious having her nails cut like that would have been extremely painful :eek: She should have been put in a cage that she couldn't escape from.

Can she undo latches or weren't they closed properly ?

The whole experience would have been frightening for her.

She may or may not need to have a soft muzzle at another vet but you won't know until you try. Buy a soft fabric one that fits. They are only a few dollars at the cheap variety stores & quite adequate for a small dog.

I would be taking her to another vets.

You should know if she had an anaesthetic. They should have told you re aftercare ?

If she was conscious having her nails cut like that would have been extremely painful :eek: She should have been put in a cage that she couldn't escape from.

Can she undo latches or weren't they closed properly ?

The whole experience would have been frightening for her.

She may or may not need to have a soft muzzle at another vet but you won't know until you try. Buy a soft fabric one that fits. They are only a few dollars at the cheap variety stores & quite adequate for a small dog.

I understood that she had an anaesthetic. From memory she had nothing to eat that morning. I was a bit puzzled that the first time the quick was left intact and the second time it was cut off at the base and the wound took ages to heal. She had to wear a collar which she was not happy about at all.

I have ordered a muzzle already. The vet said she undid the latch of the cage. I have been going to this vet practice for a long time, over 20 years. It has grown from a one vet practice to now about 8 vets. I have wondered if different vets strip nails differently.

Muzzles help everyone relax. We often use them if we are unsure because it means the anxiety levels go down for vets and owners, which can also help the dog calm down too. We spray DAP in the consult room too. Anything to help the dogs feel safe and calm.

This.

The other suggestions of 'social' visits and treats are good too. Perhaps see if there is a vet at your current practice ( or another one) who is willing to help you. I see a lot of anxious dogs or have dogs with previous bad experiences booked in for second opinions. Learning to wear a muzzle at home is very beneficial because it is then one less stressors when you get to the vet. Sometimes having a stranger ( ie a nurse) restrain can help, and this doesn't always mean that your pet has to leave the room. I do plenty of consults on the floor of the consulting room, and for some dogs that hate being in the clinic we sit outside in the backyard of the clinic instead, and book them in during quiet times of the day. There are some dogs where the best 'quick fix' for a problem is to do a quick GA to deal with the immediate problem then work on a long term strategy from there.

Also make sure you have a non slip mat with you to put on the vet's table. I thought one of my dogs was terrified of the vets but worked out the main issue was the slippery table. If I put the mat on it, he happily jumps up and is far better to handle. Put him on the steel table surface and he is impossible to hold onto. He isn't the type to bite but can sure put up a struggle. I have also had two dogs who would react to any pain by snapping. Both were always muzzled if the vet or chiro had to treat them for anything and when I did their nails at home. Once the procedure was finished and the muzzle came off they were all friendly again. The muzzle made them realise there was no point trying to snap and they just relaxed.