Which Breeds Do You Wish Were In Australia?

Kavik

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's a bit late, but I have a breed book at my work, with all breeds we're used to, and obscure ones as well. This is what I found re. Laika breeds: the first one, the Russo-European Laika, explains the most about the origins.

20140916_162226_zps06d9c11b.jpg

20140916_162223_zps90aed88f.jpg

Thank You. It just prove my point "Breed history. Untill the 1800s, all spits-type dogs in Russia were called laikas." As far as I know it s still the same. I could not find any thing database a like of the breed. I have found only one kennel in Russia which distributes puppies of this Siberian types of dog from Moscow. They just sell the puppies.

and by the way Husky is originated in US(Alaska) very close 2km away from Russian Kamchatka where

Yonjuro

took a shot of him with a lovely Laika named Volk (Wolf in English) in Kamchatka - Eastern Russia. I bet "Vok" have no pure breed papers. :) And why should he need that if he already proved that he is Laika enough any local will tell you that. :)

Laika is a type of dog you cannot put in the brackets of breeding rules.

Why are you still going on about that discussion?

That's not really friendly, Alexsandr.

You sound like you are trying to put Yonjuro down.

On a forum, people are allowed to have different thoughts.

:mad

I have replied to

dotdashdot

with my opinion about Laika dogs. I think I can because I know this type of dog. I raised them and I use to hunt with them.

Besides I would never bring one to Australia it will be just simply cruel to the dog which is developed to love the snow 9 months a year and not feeling comfortable on +25C heat.

Nobody trying to put anybody down. Apologize if it sounds like. In fact I have a great respect to Yonjuro He've got a russian missus and i've got one too! I believe we both know how tough live can be! :)<br style="font-size: 9pt;">

I have replied to

dotdashdot

with my opinion about Laika dogs. I think I can because I know this type of dog. I raised them and I use to hunt with them.

Besides I would never bring one to Australia it will be just simply cruel to the dog which is developed to love the snow 9 months a year and not feeling comfortable on +25C heat.

Nobody trying to put anybody down. Apologize if it sounds like. In fact I have a great respect to Yonjuro He've got a russian missus and i've got one too! I believe we both know how tough live can be! :)<br style="font-size: 9pt;">

As someone who breeds Samoyeds I don't believe that to be the case at all. The samoyeds in Australia cope extremely well with our hot climate and I don't believe they suffer in the slightest with proper care

Also not all spitz type dogs in russia were only known as Laika. Samoyeds were known as Bjelkier, white dog that breeds white

Edited by Bjelkier

I have replied to

dotdashdot

As someone who breeds Samoyeds I don't believe that to be the case at all. The samoyeds in Australia cope extremely well with our hot climate and I don't believe they suffer in the slightest with proper care

I'm biased. But I wont send CAS to humid climate. I appreciate that a special effort can be made by the person to counteract the climate, but CAS morphology is not meant for humid, tropical areas of Aus.

Edited by lilli

I have replied to

dotdashdot

As someone who breeds Samoyeds I don't believe that to be the case at all. The samoyeds in Australia cope extremely well with our hot climate and I don't believe they suffer in the slightest with proper care.

Also not all spitz type dogs in russia were only known as Laika. Samoyeds were known as Bjelkier, white dog that breeds white

Bjelkier(lat)-Белка(rus)-Squirrel(eng) . Nothing about white in Bjelkier :)

They are great wild Squirrel hunters. :)

Also they can do well/happy in Tasmania or in areas of AU such as Blue mountains(NSW). Western Australia is just not their cup of tea! :)

I have replied to

dotdashdot

As someone who breeds Samoyeds I don't believe that to be the case at all. The samoyeds in Australia cope extremely well with our hot climate and I don't believe they suffer in the slightest with proper care.

Bjelkier(lat)-Белка(rus)-Squirrel(eng) . Nothing about white in Bjelkier :)

They are great wild Squirrel hunters. :)

Also they can do well/happy in Tasmania or in areas of AU such as Blue mountains(NSW). Western Australia is just not their cup of tea! :)

Excuse me but do not tell me where my breed do well and what they were used for. There are many good dogs in QLD and WA who cope just fine thank you very much.

Also Samoyeds were used for far more then squirrel hunting, their main use was as a reindeer herder and seal hunter.

The Samoyede people call their dogs "bjelkier" (byel-kee-er) which translates to "white (dog) that breeds white." In Russian, the dogs are called "voinaika" which means lead or direction dog. The Samoyedes incorporated their dogs into every aspect of their daily lives and trained and depended on them year round for hunting, herding, guarding, and as sledge (sled-pulling) dogs. Their dogs were considered part of their family. They included them in meals and even brought them in to sleep (especially with the children) for warmth on cold Arctic nights. The Samoyede so trusted their dogs that they would leave them to guard their children and posessions (including their valuable reindeer) while they were out hunting.

I've been in this breed for quite awhile now and I'm fairly sure I know them pretty well at this stage.

Pocelaine is a breed I would love here (one day...<sigh>)

Pyr Sheps are fun little dogs. Can be quite standoffish and shy and not overly good with people they don't know. Would be nice to see some more here. Video is of a 'face rase' (smooth face). I personally prefer the poil long (rough face/coat). This coming weekend is the Nationale d'Elevage in Argeles Gazost in France for Pyrenean breeds. Love seeing the little bergers at this show along with their bigger mountain dog partners. French breed club website here: http://www.chiens-des-pyrenees.com/

The Samoyede people call their dogs "bjelkier" (byel-kee-er) which translates to "white (dog) that breeds white." In Russian, the dogs are called "voinaika" which means lead or direction dog. The Samoyedes incorporated their dogs into every aspect of their daily lives and trained and depended on them year round for hunting, herding, guarding, and as sledge (sled-pulling) dogs. Their dogs were considered part of their family. They included them in meals and even brought them in to sleep (especially with the children) for warmth on cold Arctic nights. The Samoyede so trusted their dogs that they would leave them to guard their children and posessions (including their valuable reindeer) while they were out hunting.

OT question;

As Aboriginal / native Samoyed dogs were many colours, were the white dogs a strain of this hence the name?

The Samoyede people call their dogs "bjelkier" (byel-kee-er) which translates to "white (dog) that breeds white." In Russian, the dogs are called "voinaika" which means lead or direction dog. The Samoyedes incorporated their dogs into every aspect of their daily lives and trained and depended on them year round for hunting, herding, guarding, and as sledge (sled-pulling) dogs. Their dogs were considered part of their family. They included them in meals and even brought them in to sleep (especially with the children) for warmth on cold Arctic nights. The Samoyede so trusted their dogs that they would leave them to guard their children and possessions (including their valuable reindeer) while they were out hunting.

OT question;

As Aboriginal / native Samoyed dogs were many colours, were the white dogs a strain of this hence the name?

Yes. Different tribes and geographical areas had different coloured dogs. The dogs from the White and Kara Sea areas were always white/cream or biscuit shades. Basically the parti colours from the southern regions were mostly reindeer herders whereas the white from the north were hunters and sledge dogs as well as herders.

The british favoured the lighter coloured dogs so focused on those with their breeding programs however to this day we still get the odd parti colour pop up in a pedigree litter. Just recently there was a pedigree bitch in Norway born with a full black tail.

Edited by Bjelkier

Not really interested or wishing to get involved in the Russian discussion, but I suspect the problem with the 'white/ squirrel' debate right now comes from the translation of cyrillic to latin alphabet. I certainly remember white being белый or белая and squirrel being белка. Interestingly, the name I've found in Russian is Самоедская собака, meaning dog of the Samoyed with the alternative name being Bjelkier, which seems to be derived from the Samoyed group of languages which have been influenced by Russian but are not the same.

Interesting.... Can you tell that I'm avoiding marking and administration today?

I know it's a bit late, but I have a breed book at my work, with all breeds we're used to, and obscure ones as well. This is what I found re. Laika breeds: the first one, the Russo-European Laika, explains the most about the origins.

Thank You. It just prove my point "Breed history. Untill the 1800s, all spits-type dogs in Russia were called laikas." As far as I know it s still the same. I could not find any thing database a like of the breed. I have found only one kennel in Russia which distributes puppies of this Siberian types of dog from Moscow. They just sell the puppies.

and by the way Husky is originated in US(Alaska) very close 2km away from Russian Kamchatka where

Yonjuro

took a shot of him with a lovely Laika named Volk (Wolf in English) in Kamchatka - Eastern Russia. I bet "Vok" have no pure breed papers. :) And why should he need that if he already proved that he is Laika enough any local will tell you that. :)

what I was actually pointing out is that this book is highlighting them as 3 separate breeds, not a breed type. All Spitz may have = Laika 200 years ago, but clearly there is a distinction now. At least that's what the authors of this book have found, and they seem to have done their research. The only reason I know about most of breeds being mentioned in this thread is because of this book, and my flicking through it every day.

Edited by dotdashdot

Pocelaine is a breed I would love here (one day...<sigh>)

Pyr Sheps are fun little dogs. Can be quite standoffish and shy and not overly good with people they don't know. Would be nice to see some more here. Video is of a 'face rase' (smooth face). I personally prefer the poil long (rough face/coat). This coming weekend is the Nationale d'Elevage in Argeles Gazost in France for Pyrenean breeds. Love seeing the little bergers at this show along with their bigger mountain dog partners. French breed club website here: http://www.chiens-des-pyrenees.com/

I've been googling all of these breeds out of curiosity, but I can't find a pocelaine. Can I please have a picture to see?