Sleep Deprived.

pirate

Just after some suggestions on how to convince a puppy to sleep at 3 o'clock in the morning. Bob wakes at 1 and 3 to go out to the toilet which l am fine with. But when he comes back in at 3 and is put back to bed in his crate he starts to scream. Last night it was over an hour. He was put outside in puppy pen for a while didn't really work. He is getting close to being put in the shed in his crate last resort. Don't want to spray water or tip a bucket of water over his head. Nor do l really want him to sleep in bed with us. He has been to the vet nothing wrong with him.

Where is his crate currently located, and can he see you from it?

I found that pups settled much better if their crate is in my bedroom and facing so they can see me...

I also found that they settled easier if they had something puppy sized to snuggle up with - in my case a large teddy bear plonked in their bed to simulate a litter mate (purely for comfort reasons)...

T.

Edited by tdierikx

You don't want to punish him while he's in the crate, it's a big no-no if you wish him to have a lifelong association with enjoying being in there.

Have a large kong stuffed and ready to go the night before. Extra light philly spreadable and some vegies, dry food etc.

He also might skip the 1am toilet if the crate is mostly covered. :)

He is 3 months old has been with us for since he was 8 weeks old. His crate is in the bedroom. He has a teddy and toys in there with him. I know where he would prefer to sleep and that's in our bed and that's not happening. He is a pointer 7th pointer that we have had and is the noisiest one that l have had. Had to get one sooner or later. Other than being noisy at 3 he is a normal puppy just determined.

He is getting close to being put in the shed in his crate last resort. Don't want to spray water or tip a bucket of water over his head.

I hope that is just desperation talking & its not a thought that should even be in your head. He is only a baby.

What would you do with a human one because they wake up & cry in the night too ?

Usually baby anything need comfort, warmth or food & its your job to figure out which.

Maybe try changing feeding schedule so that he can sleep through.

Maybe the dark scares him.

Maybe he is cold when he comes back in.

Maybe he needs an extra cuddle & soothing words before he goes back in the crate.

with pups, i put a travel crate, at bed height, right next to my bed (remove the bedside table if possible) so that pup can hear and see me at night and i can reach over and put my fingers through the bars. I've had wonderful success with not even a peep out of Wilbur when he came home. I guess i'll find out if it works a treat again with another pup coming in 3.5 weeks crossfingers.gif

I've got a GSP pup here for a month and I sympathise with the screaming :eek: She's really good at night because she barely sleeps all day. Obviously make sure he's had a wee and a poo but also a drink. This pup is a water baby so I don't leave water in the crate as it ends up everywhere. When you get him up to wee be very quiet and calm so as not to over arouse him. When you put him back to bed give him a puppy Kong filled with his dry food and a little something gently stuffed in the end eg chicken mince, 4 Legs, scrape of low salt peanut butter or similar. Crate next to you is great. Moving it outside will make it worse. It will get better!!!

I wouldn't be feeding when he comes back in .another expectation on the list ,caret time at nighttime is all about slepping so i don't pander to mine or bride them to be quiet the rules are simple crate & quiet at night & making sure they are warm is a must especially after a 3AM TOILET BREAK IN THE COLD.

Are you taking him outside to toilet at those set times or is pup waking you up to specifically go them ??

Do you take pup out on the lead to toilet or does pup get to play at this time ,is it a quick toilet run or a lomg winded run ??

At 3 months all my pups go all night without a toilet run but i have never been a person who schedules toilet runs during the night ,if they ask they go out if there asleep & quiet they stay .

I would also look at PJ's for his late night toileting otherwise stick to your guns & don't pander to him

I just let my pup sleep in bed with me, he slept all night and I'd just carry him out in the morning for a wee [otherwise he couldn't make it all the way outside in time]. I did have to put in a bed rail as he was a wriggle pot during sleep and would roll all over the place.

He's over 6 months now and still sleeps soundly, sometimes on the floor, on the end of the bed or up next to me [depending on how hot or cold he is]. He also has access to the house at night now as well.

I guess the crux of it is to find what suits your pup and what you're happy with [crate or bed].

I've always been happy with dogs on the bed [i now share with two Boxers].