Snake Season Is Here

Just a friendly reminder that snake season has started and to make sure your yards are cleared of any rubbish or food sources.

Clean properties and check for rodents as snake season starts early, expert warns

STEVE RICE THE ADVERTISER SEPTEMBER 10, 2014 8:11PM

HOMEOWNERS are urged to tidy their properties and check for rodents as snakes emerge from hibernation unseasonably early.

Snake Away manager Ian Renton said this year’s snake season started in mid-August with an average of three to four reported sightings a day.

Mr Renton said high numbers of rats and mice in suburban Adelaide had reached epidemic proportions and resulted in more snake sightings over the past 30 years.

Snake sightings have been recorded at Gawler East, Mansfield Park, Smithfield, Burnside, Royston Park, McLaren Vale, Windsor Gardens, St Peters, Bridgewater, West Beach, Paradise, Port Adelaide, Hawthorndene, Hillier and Birkenhead.

“You have seen them move out of the Wingfield, Dry Creek, Port Adelaide area to the middle of town,” Mr Renton said.

“They have infiltrated and have now got into virtually every suburb in Adelaide because people have allowed mice to breed.

“Ten years ago you wouldn’t have seen snakes until mid-September and now we are seeing them in early to mid-August.”

Mr Renton said most of his call-outs were for brown snakes seen during the afternoon, but warned that snakes would soon been out in the mornings as the ground temperature warmed.

He said adult brown snakes — the second most venomous land snakes in the world — between 1m and 1.5m could cover in excess of 1km a day looking for food — mainly mice and small rats.

“Mice get in roofs because it’s nice and warm in winter. Anywhere a mouse goes, a 1m brown snake can go,” he said.

“If you allow mice to breed around your property and if you leave them breeding in your house then sooner or later a snake will pick up on that scent trail and it’s going to stay there until that food source is eliminated.”

Mr Renton said people should stack any iron and timber off the ground and throw away rubbish to prevent snakes from hiding and undertake rodent baiting control.

“Cut any shrubs and bushes high up off the ground so you are eliminating any areas where snakes feel comfortable to go because they can’t be seen,” he said.

He said people should not try to tackle a snake themselves and instead call for professional assistance.

“Statistics have shown that 95 per cent of people who end up in hospital from snake bites are people that are tried to interfere with and/or tried to kill it themselves,” he said.

Mr Renton said many people often confused brown snakes with legless lizards or had the mistaken belief that snakes would not cohabitate with lizards.

“The easy way of identifying a legless lizard from a snake is that a snake has got a forked tongue and they will be flicking it out rapidly (about 20 times a minute) to perceive what sort of danger there is,” he said.

“If it’s a legless lizard it has a broad, fleshy single tongue the same as a blue tongue lizard and they will stick it out only three or four times a minute.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/clean-properties-and-check-for-rodents-as-snake-season-starts-early-expert-warns/story-fni6uo1m-1227054491011

My horse nearly trod on one a few weeks back - not that we have a hibernation time anyway, but they do slow down when it's cold.

People often stay to me stamp your feet etc and they will move away - if they can't sense a Clydesdale trotting along either their snakedar is off or they don't care!

It scared crap out of me - he mised it by inches! I looked down and saw it right near his front hoof and it was a large one!

Haven't seen any so far. But in the past they usually slither away quickly when they feel my footfalls. I always stamp walk in warmer weather as I never know where they're going to be and have almost trodden on a few browns sun baking. Scariest times was walking out the front door to be confronted by a lunging po'd brown. Never jumped so high or back so far from a standstill in my life three times in a row laugh.gif

I had a tree snake fall out of a tree onto me while riding a few years ago .... gave both the horse and I a bit of a turn :laugh: Stayed out from underneath trees for a bit after that :o

LOL! That's worse than a Drop Bear :eek:

Haven't seen any so far. But in the past they usually slither away quickly when they feel my footfalls. I always stamp walk in warmer weather as I never know where they're going to be and have almost trodden on a few browns sun baking. Scariest times was walking out the front door to be confronted by a lunging po'd brown. Never jumped so high or back so far from a standstill in my life three times in a row laugh.gif

I think I would have had a heart attack and dropped dead on the spot!! :eek:

Certainly gets the adrenaline going smile.gif

But in most cases the snakes slither away as quickly as they can. Just get the odd one that tries to go for you [usually the younger smaller ones].

Certainly gets the adrenaline going smile.gif

But in most cases the snakes slither away as quickly as they can. Just get the odd one that tries to go for you [usually the younger smaller ones].

I know that's the theory but it terrifies me that a snake that would let me walk on by will end up biting Justice because he's sniffed too close to where the snake is hiding or something. I'm so paranoid about it and only go to a few of our favourite spots in winter because of the potential for snakes. I found a young blue tongue lizard in the back yard today (well, I should say Justice found it and I followed his barks and growls) and it just amazes me that they would even bother with my yard. There are no real hiding spots, no food and not even any water as I only have water for Justice inside since he's got the doggy door to come and go as he pleases.

I always have to do a snake check before letting the dogs out [and that's into the run under the veranda by the back door, as can't let them in the hot sun of summer]. In really hot weather the snakes find shade and like the coolness of veranda. On occasions I just use the outdoor broom to move them along [red belly black snakes, wouldn't try that on a brown]. But I always freeze when I hear the scales on concrete sound [more often than not it's just a dry leaf moving along the concrete which makes a similar sound].

One summer, actually it was Christmas day [back in the 90s] I was in the kitchen preparing lunch with Mum, my brother yelled out the dogs had a snake [3 Siberian Huskies]. Went out to find them playing tug of war with a brown. The snake was pretty cactus, so had to use the shovel on it and bury the head well away from the dog yard. thankfully none of them had been bitten eek1.gif