Miniature Fox Terrior

Cavstar

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh.. thanks Pers :) In your experience do you think they would make a good pet for an elderly lady?

not really - they are terriers ,and lively . I guess how 'elderly ' and how much training/walking/ 'doing stuff' would be done .... ?

I beg to differ. Jezebel belonged to an elderly lady, my friend's grandmother. She had her from a pup. She showed her initially, then ill health appeared. We got Jez when she was 9, she's now 13. It was only because Gran went into a nursing home that she came to us.

She can run and run and will do if let off lead in the paddock. Usually she is by my side. I ALWAYS know where she islaugh.gif

She is happy to sit around and do nothing all day. She was a little unsure of Mr R when she first came, but quickly warmed to him. She wasn't used to having men around.

They are adaptable little dogs, smart and easy to teach.

Jez is not my first Foxie. We recently lost Columbus (aged 21) and have had quite a few as fosters. I think they are wonderful little dogs.

Has she considered a Smooth Foxie Terrier ?

Bigger & tend to be more calmer & social .

As a breeder when we rehome older dogs they go on a trial & if it doesn't work the dog can be returned .

I guess the one thing i would keep in mind if this dog comes with issues this elderly person will be stuck with it & whilst you may deal with a dog with issues others find it harder to manage especially as she will take this dog walking where it will see men & she will need to understand how she reacts in public at the vets & anytime a male is around .

I would be asking to see her current vaccination status ( to see what additional costs there may be ) ,ask if she is microchipped,spayed etc etc .

Ahh.. thanks Pers :) In your experience do you think they would make a good pet for an elderly lady?

not really - they are terriers ,and lively . I guess how 'elderly ' and how much training/walking/ 'doing stuff' would be done .... ?

I beg to differ. Jezebel belonged to an elderly lady, my friend's grandmother. She had her from a pup. She showed her initially, then ill health appeared. We got Jez when she was 9, she's now 13. It was only because Gran went into a nursing home that she came to us.

She can run and run and will do if let off lead in the paddock. Usually she is by my side. I ALWAYS know where she islaugh.gif

She is happy to sit around and do nothing all day. She was a little unsure of Mr R when she first came, but quickly warmed to him. She wasn't used to having men around.

They are adaptable little dogs, smart and easy to teach.

Jez is not my first Foxie. We recently lost Columbus (aged 21) and have had quite a few as fosters. I think they are wonderful little dogs.

thanks, Rozzie :) I must have only had dealings with the dynamos ;) jezebel has a sweet face - and certainly doesn't look her age! They are great dogs , indeed. I think my "Shy" was 17 when she died.

Heaps of "elderly" people own MF or TT, and seem to get on really well with them.

The dogs are very smart and very switched on. I know a couple in their 80s with a female - she can run up and down the curtains, she gets her toys out of the box every am, and puts them back every pm when asked. Keeps the couple well entertained, causes no problems. They adore her.

So many older people own them, I think they must be extremely suitable. :)

What a cutie.

I have a foxy x chi and she would love to just hang with me all day. Of my 3, she is the most devoted and easy dog.

I know a few foxies that just happen to be really quiet and pretty chilled. I know some are wilder.

I would think there are a lot of lap dogs that would suit but a mature dog is a great idea. You will see energy level and temperament of the dog. Puppies are a lot of work and an unknown character.

Edited as just read dog not suitable. New tablet playing tricks!

Good luck with the hunt.

Edited by skip