How Do You Deal With Growling?

Pretty Miss Emma

How do you deal with growling  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you let your dog communicate like a dog when it is interacting with other dogs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
    • Most of the time
  2. 2. If your dog starts to growl towards another dog/puppy (and this is an appropriate behavioural response to the interaction)...

• I let it so long as it is only a growl
    • I will let it growl, and if it needs to snap that's also ok
    • I will let it growl, but stop it after a little bit
    • I let it growl and only stop it if the behaviour gets over the top
    • I let it growl and don't interfere even if the behaviour progresses
    • I stop it from growling
  3. 3. When my dog growls...

• I get worried
    • I get scared
    • I get embarrassed
    • I know it is just communicating
    • I am pleased my dog knows how to communicate appropriaely

I went to reply, but I don't think there was a response to match how I handle it.

I let my dog growl, but I also listen. If it is growling it is saying, I'm not comfortable with this situation, let's go.

I simply say, this way and we leave the situation - dog has not been told off, but knows it can trust me if it is not comfortable. :)

I went to reply, but I don't think there was a response to match how I handle it.

I let my dog growl, but I also listen. If it is growling it is saying, I'm not comfortable with this situation, let's go.

I simply say, this way and we leave the situation - dog has not been told off, but knows it can trust me if it is not comfortable. :)

I do the same :)

At training last night, Sarge got growled at by two adult Labs and he backed off and I took him away [praised him for moving away]. When passing another dog it lifted it's top lip and bared teeth as Sarge got close [think Sarge was oblivious to this as he was looking the other way as was the owner of the dog as they were talking to someone else]. I just weaved him away as we were walking down to the oval.

Does help to hear and read body language of other dogs.

Growling at other dogs for getting in someone's personal space, being piggish in greeting, over the top play, etc, is all allowed here, mostly because Jag is so daft he never takes a hint :laugh: Same goes for when we're out. Carl and Mischa are well-adjusted, laid-back dogs, and they're allowed to react appropriately when another dog is being rude.

If most watched my three GSD's at play they would think a huge fight was about to ensue, they growl, snarl, bark, snap, wrestle (sometimes when each is on their hind legs) and pin each other to the ground full mouth open around the neck.

All in a days play :thumbsup:

I did the poll but so much depends on the context of what is happening.

Interesting question and as others have said it is not helpful to always blame the growling dog. Ask why it is growling.

If it is a warning I might need to supervise to help my dog, if it is just cranky pants stuff might take steps to stop or avoid that behaviour. Play growling is fine.

Yesterday we had lots of growling.

First my little one growled at the young kelpie cause she got in his face while herding him. Kelpie timeout on lead as herding the dog not allowed anyway. It was dark and she saw her opportunity.

Visitors with dogs stayed for a meal later. Two young ones playing tug and both going off. Fine as all noise.

One border collie a bit posessive of tug but as only growling allowed to continue. If it was more by would be sinbin in crate. This would'not happen BTW.

Older dog growling at dogs playing as bumped. Moved older dog away.

Chihuahua growled at bc dog while she was next to me on chair. Chi put onto ground. All over.

Old dog on chair growled at playing dogs for no real reason asked to stop please.

Sounds like a lot but in the course of hours pretty norm.

My dogs are as noisy as me it seems. Love having lots of doggy friends.

Edited by skip

This depends on the dog. There are dogs who readily progress from a growl to an attack. Such dogs may need early restraint. None of my present dogs are in that category.

I often end out telling my dogs to shut up cause they make so much noise play growling that I can't hear the radio/phone/TV.