Do You Have An Entire Male Dog Inside?

Stitch

my boy was way easier to toilet train than my girl. He doesn't mark in the house at all, but will mark fence posts etc when walking. This only issue we had of him trying to mark was at city farmers trying on coats :eek: Probably because there were so many different doggy scents there I guess?

He is nearly ready for desexing as he is 2 in December. I will be interested to see how his fence/tree marking etc changes once he isn't entire, or if it does at all.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

I can remember back when males were never desexed and we had them in the house with no accidents.

At the moment the training is coming along well....appropriate for the age.

We have progressed from the stage of 'urge followed by immediate weeing' to me starting to teach them to wee on command.

I LOVE having dogs that oblige on command, it is so handy.

My house girl is SO reliable, no weeing or destruction even if I am not there.

The puppy has a long way to go yet!

I wonder if you could share the secret of no destruction.

Horrible Herbert added a new trophy earlier. A brand new just delivered DVD.... Daddy left it on the shelf.

The Horrible One retrieved it and ate it all up.

Majority of the time everything is secured.

But the times things are not are his best scores.

:eek:

Isn't house training the same no matter whether they are entire or not?

We grew up with mostly male dogs (all entire - desexing wasn't the in thing back then) and never had any issues with them marking inside a house.

All my dogs as an adult have been male but all neutered - I just house train all my dogs. The foster dogs pick it up pretty quick as well (house training).

This was my experience too, although I do remember our entire dog then going to a neighbours house and cocking his leg on their telly! We were kids and never said a word. :shhh:

LOL, I have never had an issue with dogs toileting inside once they were toilet trained - apart from the last foster baby but she was so scared of everything that she would do a little wee, if you spoke to her or bent down to pat her.

She was fine with me and my son but anyone else she just couldn't help it.

Depends on the male & how many other dogs you have plus desexed or not.

Entire male with no entire females I have never had any issue with & had quite a few over a lifetime.

Entire male + another & breeding females then yes I have a problem.

Boy now 12 years old never marked territory until 2 years ago when I got another boy.

Boy now 2 years old is awful since he got to maturity. Kept separate in the computer room he was peeing on my curtains at night until I crated him for bed. That seems to have stopped him. If I leave him another girl for company when I am out for long he sometimes pees on one of the dog beds :mad If I put him in the lounge or rest of the house he will cock his leg somewhere. Having the computer room to himself without dog company he is usually clean however not keen on leaving him solo for long.

Boy now 12 is with the girls in the lounge/rest of house & seldom marks territory anymore.

Having a doggy door may help too but I don't as I don't want snakes or rodents entering the house.

So obviously from others posts it can be very variable.

I have marking issues. I attribute that to the fact that I have 3 entire males that constantly haggle for top position. Most of the time it is only an occasionally event but currently my old boy (14yrs) who has been top dog all his life is marking inside because a younger dog has taken over as top dog. Very frustrating and very difficult to get on top of as they never mark in front of you

I have always had entire males in the house with hardly any problems at all and often two or three at a time, sometimes with entire girls in season as well. At one stage we also had two regular visiting entire boys plus my two or three and they were all fine together. My boys have always been the house dogs and at times I had bitches outside. I cannot imagine leaving sooky boys outside. They are the velcro dogs in my breeds. I currently have two entire boys who are together all the time and they are number 7 and 8 entire boys living in the house with me. All house trained properly between 8-12 weeks. After that I think they all tried ONCE to lift their leg inside when they figured out how to do it. Each one was well supervised at that stage so I could really roar at them when they tried it. That gets the message across and they never do it again. One very submissive boy did on the odd occasion mark when I had a girl in season but he did live with two very dominant boys at different times in his life. He was also the only one I couldn't trust when visiting other people's homes. All the other have been fine anywhere I have taken them. They just know that marking inside any building is not allowed. Breed does make a difference too but it is mostly about training.

I have a 6 year old entire male JS. He is great, doesn't lift his leg on things always toilets outside. The only times/things he has lifted his leg on things is when I have had my other dogs have accidents, or visiting dogs who went to the toilet on the floor or lifted their leg on the curtains and he then followed it up. Otherwise no problems!

Many years ago I had 3 entire males inside (one until he was 16 yrs) and never had a problem...................now cats are a different matter and I would never have an undesexed male cat.

My dogs didn't come into contact with females so not sure if that would have made a difference.

I wonder if you could share the secret of no destruction.

Horrible Herbert added a new trophy earlier. A brand new just delivered DVD.... Daddy left it on the shelf.

The Horrible One retrieved it and ate it all up.

Majority of the time everything is secured.

But the times things are not are his best scores.

:eek:

You poor bugger; Horrible Herbert really has you on the hop! After reading this i realised just how lucky I am...norty brown dawg has rarely (if ever) eaten anything in the house (he liked my plant pots outside though). I think it's because in the house i had the opportunity to redirect him with a chew-appropriate toy and he took to that really well. He'll steal shoes, socks, undies etc but it's only to incite play. He has full run of the house except mis21's bedroom.

Ahhh, the secret of no destruction....well...a component of it is the dogs personality however I do not believe in taking stolen items completely away from the pup/dog. I leave the temptation accessible.

If you don't ask for them to improve, they won't. I start by only letting them free range of areas that I can watch what they are doing. When they take a slipper, etc. I just give a quick correction command, take the item from their mouths and put it back where it came from. In its place I give them a dog toy.

I probably have to do that several times before the penny drops...it depends on their age. Not rocket science but consistency and timing are absolutely essential. Catching them as they open their mouths to steel is perfect. Sometimes you have to have eyes in the back of your head but it is worth it in the long run!

Edited by Stitch

I have desexed males, entire males, desexed females and entire females In the house.

The entire males always try to mark in the house, and one of the entire females likes to pee on the other females's beds. These dogs that pee inside are all italian greyhounds, a breed that is notoriously difficult to housetrain. The IG girls are all litter trained but Ive had zero success litter training the IG boys.

Never had an issue with the boys in the house, in fact before this thread I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to question it. Sometimes I think we tend to overthink things and create an issue where they may not be one.

Treat it as you would any other dog. Housetrain as you normally would and deal with incidents as they arise. Don't worry too much about what may happen, worry about what does happen. You may be worrying about nothing :)

I have two entire males inside.

Have had no issues and the boys are cleaner than my bitch. One has been used at stud and still will not cock his leg. The only times they have peed inside is if they are totally busting and just cannot hold on any longer or a medical reason.

The bitch however, she has territory marked and cocked her leg on lounges etc when her nose was out of joint with the introduction of a new dog.