Large - Giant Breed Puppy Kibble

Hi, I do. It does not affect growth, it's the phos:calc ratio that does. You can find this information in the 'Protein Myth' section of our feed guide from Page 141: http://www.greatdane...reat%20Dane.pdf

In brief:

Source: Department of Clinical Sciences of Companion Animals, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of

Utrecht, The Netherlands, 1999, Growth and skeletal development in Great Dane pups fed different levels of protein

intake. Nap RC, Hazewinkel HA, Voorhout G, Van den Brom WE, Goedegebuure SA, Van 'T Klooster AT.

No differences were found among the high (H-Pr), normal (N-Pr) and low protein (L-Pr) groups for the

height at the shoulder.

The differences in protein intake per se had no demonstrable consequences for calcium metabolism

and skeletal development.

Edited by sas

I ask because I may have a opportunity with an Australian dog food company to venture into markets which currently don't have much variety, I have a dally so first and for most I'd like a kibble developed for Dalmatians which are low in purines but meet all the other requirements whilst having great ingredients and value for money, currently are there any kibbles on the market that adequately meet the needs of large to giant breed pups, which contain minimal fillers, whole ingredients and are reasonably priced?

You have a contradiction in terms there - minimal fillers and whole ingredients is not really consistent with the concept of reasonably priced.

Sounds like you need to get out into a pet store or 3 and check out the shelves for what offerings are out there, ingredient panels and shelf prices.

In my opinion there is plenty of options in this market and for a quality product with protein sources as the top ingredients etc then I consider $90-$120 reasonably priced.

Yeah I guess it depends on what you consider reasonably priced :)

If you're thinking under $100 per 15kgs then I don't think there's anything appropriate in that category. However, I don't know for sure as it's been a long time since I've needed to look into kibbles for raising a Dane puppy

I ask because I may have a opportunity with an Australian dog food company to venture into markets which currently don't have much variety, I have a dally so first and for most I'd like a kibble developed for Dalmatians which are low in purines but meet all the other requirements whilst having great ingredients and value for money, currently are there any kibbles on the market that adequately meet the needs of large to giant breed pups, which contain minimal fillers, whole ingredients and are reasonably priced?

The link I provided you answers your questions about other kibbles.

My top picks for giant breed puppies in terms of high quality ingredients with suitable phos:calc ratios are:

Canidae All Life Stages > Con = maybe too rich for some Dane pups with sensitive tummies.

Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed puppy

Black Hawk Fish & Potato > However a number of owners are commenting that this does not keep condition on the dogs so they have to feed more.

What we don't need on the market is more low quality kibbles pretending to be something they're not.

Edited by sas

One family member has a giant puppy doing extremely well on Royal Canin Giant Puppy dry food. I know it costs about $ 125 or so for 15 kg.

The shame about Royal Canin is that you're not getting value for money, it's so full of fillers and low quality ingredients. You're really just buying the brand name.

Well I totally agree. Im pretty sick of seeing expensive kibbles with corn and wheat in their ingredients list. And im not sure how quality ingredients with a reasonable price tag is contradicting? Good quality food is not expensive. Greedy companies who know how to market bs are expensive. I quite like the concept of Artemis but think it could be improved.

Gee that is a shame if that is the case with RC.

The puppy in question is being monitored closely by a Vet & is going really well on it. She looks a picture of health :)

I'm not suggesting that the dog would fall to pieces on it. I too could survive just fine on 5 minute noodles but my long term health probably wouldn't flourish vs what I would do on meat and 3 veg if you get my drift.

Edited by sas