How To Choose A Rescue Group

I'm interested in trying foster caring as I'd like to help dogs in need without the commitment of getting another dog for life as I'm not quite sure where I'll be in a few years. I'd like some suggestions on how one chooses a reputable rescue to foster with, and if I'd even be a suitable foster carer?

I would prefer a dog that would find a home relatively quickly (within a few months)

The dog needs to be friendly and social with other dogs as he/she would be joining my dog and I in activities like agility and doggy daycare. Ideally the dog would play well with my current dog, although I'm not doing it for companionship for her as she prefers people (and food).

I'd prefer a dog that is around the same size or smaller than my labrador as I only have a smallish yard and house

I am renting (I have permission from my landlord, and I have discussed fostering with him) so the dog would have to be relatively quiet (definitely not a problem barker!)and not overly destructive/hyperactive. Obviously I am aware that destruction occurs a lot of the time due to inadequate stimulation and exercise but I can't have a super super high energy dog that needs several hours of training and exercise to keep it satisfied.

Ideally have the same activity levels as my labrador. we currently do about 2 hours of exercise per day-more on weekends: mainly walking ball throwing + agility training and trials 2-3 times a week. In addition she goes to a very good daycare centre twice a week and gets a dog walker once a week and I am off one weekday as well so there would only be one day where they would be home alone all day (and I come home for lunch that day anyway)and I guess they would have each other, but in my experience my dog just ignores other dogs if I'm not around.

Or possibly an older dog that doesn't require any exercise and is happy to laze around all day?

I'm happy to do some training and take the dog to obedience classes, but I don't want to take on any serious behavioural problems

I am happy to get all the vet work done myself or take care of a dog with medical issues

I can travel to do meet and greets and I'm often in various locations around the state for agility trials

I am currently leaning towards Labrador Rescue...

But I also like the idea of small older dogs....

And I know there are always lots of working breeds in need of foster homes...and ideally I'd like to get a working border collie for agility some day, so good practice? I actually had a working BC and although she was a beautiful dog unfortunately she and my current dog were incompatible, but happily she is now with an awesome home with other working dogs and doing herding and dog sports!

BTW I am located in Canberra now (can't work out how to change it in my profile?)

I have heard ACT foster and rescue are good as well?

Is it ok to be part of more than 1 rescue group? Can you foster for say lab rescue one time and then another group another time?

Also- will most rescue groups take back a foster if there are serious issues (like fighting between dogs etc)?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by aussielover

There are a few here in the ACT area:

ACT Rescue & Foster (ARF)

Canberra Pooch Rescue (CPR)

As well as some working dog rescues.

Some foster carers also work with NSW or Victorian rescue groups and I am sure there would be some who work with other states as well.

The foster group will help replace a dog if there are issues but they 'don't take them back' as such - because they don't have 'holding facilities to take them back to'.

Most rescues only have the current foster carers homes as holding places.

Some foster dogs will settle into a home quite quickly but some can take weeks to get the hang of new rules.

If you can't take on dogs with issues, then best go with a foster group that does formal assessments at the pounds. I know ARF do the assessments at DAS and Queanbeyan Pound. They do a write up each week for each dog in the pound - if one looks suitable, you go and meet the pup and tell ARF you are interested in fostering the dog.

That is just my experience with ARF. It has been a while since I fostered via ARF as other dogs from other rescue orgs have made their way to me lately - so I don't think any rescue groups have issues if you foster for more than one.

Dogs can be quite different from the pound to a home environment. A dog that is shy in the pound, might be much more confident once in the home - the only way to really tell is to help out.

Good luck - I love fostering.

Guest crazydoglady99

Hi Aussielover, There are a few in canberra that I would suggest you steer well away from (neither CPR or ARF they are both VERY reputable) -you'll have to pm me.

Generally speaking - majority of rescue groups can't take a dog back if its not working out. They simply don't have the capacity. The time it takes to rehome a dog is not in any way guaranteed, it could be weeks, it could be 12months.

You could always ring around and talk to rescue groups - find out their expectations, processes etc etc.

Good luck!

Edited by crazydoglady99

Australian Koolie Rescue are always looking for foster carers. We do take Koolies back who are not working out or send them to another more experienced foster carer. We usually find homes for our dogs within 3 months although there are always the exceptions. I think most Koolies would be happy with the amount of exercise you are giving your Lab. Koolies are also great at agility. You are more than welcome to come and meet mine (although they are getting on a bit now - Perry is 11 and Friskie is 14) but I can introduce you to some young ones as well - just PM me.