Deleted

Joypod

Sorry for your loss, but how do you know the dye used in the myelogram was not the cause of the issue? Maybe he was allergic? I don't think there is any point going after the breeder or anyone else for that matter. The autopsy may help you find the cause and give you closure but you need to settle down and allow yourself to grieve, rather than seeking to blame somebody. Bad stuff just happens for no reason sometimes.

I agree with Florise - feel angry at your loss and grieve and remember your beautiful boy and then, when you are feeling calmer, ask some careful questions and do some specific research. After that, if your evidence points towards fraud seek legal advice. You need to also be clear here what you are expecting of that breeder. Is it about money or dishonesty or wanting another dog? You can't respond rationally to what you might find until your emotions are not so raw. You will be looking for malicious wrong doing.

None of this will bring Gus back so there is no urgency to how quickly you gather your facts but please consider doing things in a way that will honour your boy. Our dogs give us so much love they would hate to see us tied in knots after they go. First step will be to wait for the autopsy (necropsy?) results and give yourself time to absorb and accept what they are indicating. You could be dealing with two different situations here - even if the grandfather's info was in some way incorrect there may be no link to what caused the loss of Gus - are you going to be ok with that?

Sorry for your loss, but how do you know the dye used in the myelogram was not the cause of the issue? Maybe he was allergic? I don't think there is any point going after the breeder or anyone else for that matter. The autopsy may help you find the cause and give you closure but you need to settle down and allow yourself to grieve, rather than seeking to blame somebody. Bad stuff just happens for no reason sometimes.

The dye used in the myelogram was obviously the issue. That's my point. He reacted to it where the overwhelming majority of dogs don't which is why I'm hoping an autopsy will find a cause. If he was predisposed to reacting to the dye in myelograms because of his bloodlines, then that's something I would have wanted to know about.

I don't apologise for wanting to hold the breeder accountable for providing incorrect information and quite frankly find your suggestion that I 'settle down' insulting.

I agree with Florise - feel angry at your loss and grieve and remember your beautiful boy and then, when you are feeling calmer, ask some careful questions and do some specific research. After that, if your evidence points towards fraud seek legal advice. You need to also be clear here what you are expecting of that breeder. Is it about money or dishonesty or wanting another dog? You can't respond rationally to what you might find until your emotions are not so raw. You will be looking for malicious wrong doing.

None of this will bring Gus back so there is no urgency to how quickly you gather your facts but please consider doing things in a way that will honour your boy. Our dogs give us so much love they would hate to see us tied in knots after they go. First step will be to wait for the autopsy (necropsy?) results and give yourself time to absorb and accept what they are indicating. You could be dealing with two different situations here - even if the grandfather's info was in some way incorrect there may be no link to what caused the loss of Gus - are you going to be ok with that?

Thanks Little Gifts. Yes, it's a necropsy not an autopsy but I couldn't remember the right word. Thanks.

I understand what you're saying and I think it's because absolutely everyone is stumped by Gus dying during a procedure which is normally very safe, that I want answers. When I found out about his bloodline not being what I thought it was (because his 'supposed' great grandfather lived a long and healthy life), I felt like this could be the reason everyone is looking for.

I will wait until the necropsy results come through before doing anything further.

I don't apologise for wanting to hold the breeder accountable for providing incorrect information and quite frankly find your suggestion that I 'settle down' insulting.

:confused:

An allergy to a foreign substance can occur in anybody and does not require certain bloodlines to be predisposed to it. Apologies for "insulting" you.

I understand your grief and am very sorry for your loss.

Regardless of whether or not there was any way for the breeder to know if Gus' ancestors carried an allergy to the dye, it occurs to me that a falsity in the pedigree at the fourth generation level might not even be known to the breeder - he or she could also the victim (among others) of a falsity perhaps of a grandparents pedigree caused by a different breeder and imposed on all who purchased pups or used a stud dog (in all innocence) from that litter or their descendants.

In that case I would definitely be passing on to the breeder what you have found out.

If, however, it was the same breeder that produced the litter with the false registration, then I would be asking the owner of the great-grandparent in question to make an official complaint to the state body concerned.

I know it won't help your Gus, but it is up to all of us to try and ensure that when we do have facts showing malfeasance by a breeder that we do urge them to be presented to the appropriate ANKC body.

I agree with all of the above.

Do notify the breeder of this, as they may not be aware of the mistake, nor may they be aware of any allergies in their lines.

However, allergies of this kind are often not hereditary.

Also, it is important to know that the average age of Frenchies is 8-12 years old. This means some do die young, and some live to 15.

My past dog passed away at 7 years old too, with a life expectancy of about the same, his mother is still alive at 16 years old. There's no knowing sometimes, and the necropsy didn't reveal anything for him.

Just point it out in a reasonable way, if they did not know, then no legal actions is really necessary, if you feel they are falsifying records, notify the state body and seek advice regarding your options.

As i am sure Dogs VIC would have some form of disciplinary action against the breeder.

Just remember him, for the happy memories you hold will forever outweigh the grief you feel at his passing.

RIP Gus.

Edited by denali

:confused:

An allergy to a foreign substance can occur in anybody and does not require certain bloodlines to be predisposed to it. Apologies for "insulting" you.

exactly. How do you know the breeder of the great grand parent is not out to cause mischief? Maybe they hold a grudge against the breeder of your dog. I am sorry your dog passed away suddenly and you had no warning but all procedures carry risks and I do not think your dogs breeding had anything to do with his death.

I agree with all of the above.

Do notify the breeder of this, as they may not be aware of the mistake, nor may they be aware of any allergies in their lines.

However, allergies of this kind are often not hereditary.

Also, it is important to know that the average age of Frenchies is 8-12 years old. This means some do die young, and some live to 15.

My past dog passed away at 7 years old too, with a life expectancy of about the same, his mother is still alive at 16 years old. There's no knowing sometimes, and the necropsy didn't reveal anything for him.

Just point it out in a reasonable way, if they did not know, then no legal actions is really necessary, if you feel they are falsifying records, notify the state body and seek advice regarding your options.

As i am sure Dogs VIC would have some form of disciplinary action against the breeder.

Just remember him, for the happy memories you hold will forever outweigh the grief you feel at his passing.

RIP Gus.

Actually, the average age of death for Frenchie, according to the Finnish Kennel Club statistics, is 5 yr 5 mo. Just over one in ten lives to old age (32/295). For those that make it to old age, average lifespan is 10 yr 10 mo. All in all a VERY unhealthy breed. If you encounter a breeder who says there are no health problems in their lines, you can be pretty sure you are talking to a fraud. Health testing should be called 'disease testing'. It does not guarantee health, only decreases the likelihood for good genetic tests decreases to zero) the probability of disease. See

http://jalostus.kennelliitto.fi/frmTerveystilastot.aspx?R=101&Lang=en