Crossing The Boundaries

Little Gifts

Now I know there are a few of us who have assisted our dogs with some of the less savoury personal grooming tasks such as helping get blades of grass out of their bums, picking out eye goobies and scratching off scabs, but I found myself doing something this morning while we were having a lie in and I realised I do it all.the.time. :eek:

My name is Little Gifts and I help my dog clean between her toes.

Poor Stussy( SBT) has not been blessed with flexibility. I don't believe I have ever even seen her lick her pink bits. But she does love to do what I call single leg aerials so she can chew on her toenails and clean between the toes and the pads of her feet while sitting upright. I particularly love it when she has her whole foot in her mouth (although I'm not sure what she achieves by doing this). She usually does her aerials by wedging herself in between me and some pillows on the lounge so she can perform this feat without toppling over. For quite some time now I've taken on the role of assistant, ensuring the leg in question stays upright and that the toes and pads are angled for maximum tongue to toe contact. I can do this while watching tv or reading a book (but not eating or knitting). I've come to realise this morning while we performed this task in bed in a more relaxed spooning position and I listened to the slurping and my own fingers got damper, that this is probably not normal. Probably not very hygienic either.

So have a think, what do you do out of nurturing love that might just be crossing some human/dog boundaries?

My old man's getting on in years (we figured he's at least 11 as he was "about 2" when I met him and I've known him for about a decade, owned him for the last 6 years), and old things tend to fall apart and break down etc. A few weeks ago we had a couple of friends over for dinner, when one of them said to me "ummm, why is there a tube of lube on top of the fridge?" My immediate response was "oh, no, it's for the dog"

... hold on, that makes it sound worse :o

His doodle doesn't always go back where it belongs, so we have to help sometimes. :)

Pickles' mobility issues mean that she can't scratch itchies on her face or ears very well, so when I see her trying I just ask her if she wants mummy to scratch and she comes over and offers me her itchy spot to scratch...

Also, because you can take the girl out of the camp, but can't always take the camp out of the girl, Pickles has a nasty habit of eating things she shouldn't really eat - like bedding and stuffing - so I'm forever helping her get stuff out of her bum... it's even such a regular thing I can't be stuffed to go find gloves or tissue to do it... I DO wash my hands very thoroughly afterwards though... lol!

T.

We often talk about accidentally ingesting dog hair but my poor Daina seems to accidentally ingest MY hair.

There have been a few times when she's come running to me, panicked, because she's done a poo and it's dangling by a hair that isn't all the way out yet :cry: :laugh:

Human to the rescue!

Edited by Mim

I think this depends on audience. I tell people that I brush my dogs' teeth. Non-doggie people ( and some with dogs) think I'm weird. Most greyhound owners and others just nod understandingly. Most of the above I've also done. I also have moved seats or gotten off the couch to avoid disturbing a snoozing grey on the couch, mainly Benny, who just looks too comfy to move. Both DH and I tuck the dogs in at night (very cute to see a big tuff AJ sweet talking a sleepy greyhound). DH must also say goodbye explicitly to Hermon when leaving for work at 5 am because Hermon otherwise wakes up half an hour later and stands at the door crying. If he knows DH has left, there's no trouble. I am no substitute.

Paige also won't eat unless I'm holding her bowl (ok this is probably more me than her. She will eventually eat for others but she hates the sound of the bowl and likes the silence if I hold it).

This is all aside from drinking from the same cup as Brandi, sleeping with all of them, including sharing pillows, talking constantly to them....

Am I weird?

My old man's getting on in years (we figured he's at least 11 as he was "about 2" when I met him and I've known him for about a decade, owned him for the last 6 years), and old things tend to fall apart and break down etc. A few weeks ago we had a couple of friends over for dinner, when one of them said to me "ummm, why is there a tube of lube on top of the fridge?" My immediate response was "oh, no, it's for the dog"

... hold on, that makes it sound worse :o

His doodle doesn't always go back where it belongs, so we have to help sometimes. :)

We have one here that we do that for too. I recently had a few friends over and they noticed the KY sitting on a bench outside and asked what it was doing there. I don't think most of them would consider doing it if they had dogs but one seemed to not find it too repulsive ;)

I also clean between my female bulldogs toes, especially the back ones as they get a dirty, waxy buildup.

Edited by Remarkabull

I don't consider I really cross boundaries with my dogs after what I had to do for a chicken I once had nothing could ever be that bad or gross.

Consider that I am absolutely a city person in my bones despite country living for 10 years so when one of my 4 chickens got fly blown I had no idea what it was until a neighbour told me & what I had to do.

So armed with scissors, fly strike powder, a clean bucket of water & a soapy bucket of water on the wheel barrow & dressed in an old dressing gown to throw away after & rubber gloves & wellies I thought to have a drink of Kahlua to bear it then decided that if I was tipsy I may mess up so bravely IMO I got the chicken & gagging at the maggots carefully chopped her feathers off as close as possible, washed her bum in soapy water, rinsed her in clean water, dried her off, powdered her. Then dumping clothes & gloves in the bin went inside & had about 3 huge drinks to settle me down & fell asleep sat up on the sofa for hours. Bloody traumatised so goodness knows how the poor chicken felt & I am scared of worms let alone maggots :eek: To add insult to injury I regularly powdered & checked her for ages but she dropped dead. I cried like mad :cry:

Thats as gross as anything I can think of.

I don't consider I really cross boundaries with my dogs after what I had to do for a chicken I once had nothing could ever be that bad or gross.

Consider that I am absolutely a city person in my bones despite country living for 10 years so when one of my 4 chickens got fly blown I had no idea what it was until a neighbour told me & what I had to do.

So armed with scissors, fly strike powder, a clean bucket of water & a soapy bucket of water on the wheel barrow & dressed in an old dressing gown to throw away after & rubber gloves & wellies I thought to have a drink of Kahlua to bear it then decided that if I was tipsy I may mess up so bravely IMO I got the chicken & gagging at the maggots carefully chopped her feathers off as close as possible, washed her bum in soapy water, rinsed her in clean water, dried her off, powdered her. Then dumping clothes & gloves in the bin went inside & had about 3 huge drinks to settle me down & fell asleep sat up on the sofa for hours. Bloody traumatised so goodness knows how the poor chicken felt & I am scared of worms let alone maggots :eek: To add insult to injury I regularly powdered & checked her for ages but she dropped dead. I cried like mad :cry:

Thats as gross as anything I can think of.

Oh you have my total sympathy and admiration! I HATE slimy crawly things :vomit: chooky must have felt soooo much better though.

I know it's not crossing a boundary, just a necessity of having an entire bitch inside, but I still find it hilariously weird to have to take my dog's undies on and off so she can go to the toilet :laugh:

ETA oh, only when she's in season!

Edited by Simply Grand

My first little boy dog had that problem but as his penis retracted the sheath would curl in with it, so I would just tug gently on his hairs to keep it from going totally in. LOL. Didn't happen regularly luckily. Poor little chap.

My vet at the time had a couple of awful stories (as usual :( :( ) about people who didn't know what to do and left it until the dogs were in agony.

As of tomorrow I will be inspecting my chickens nether regions. Just know my roosters going to love me.

I had to remove a dangling attachment from the south end of my north heading bulldog. He had eaten a piece of thread and so he had a thread with a dingleberry attached after taking a dump within the first ten minutes of setting out for our walk.

It was weirdly fascinating watching it bouncing around while we walked. I tried jogging, threw in a few downs but finally I had to manhandle it out of there.

Does anyone else get an itchy nose or face shortly after you have responsibly picked up after your dog. I pick up with a bag but I still don't actually want to touch my face after.

Edited by hankdog

I cannot stand licking so I would never do anything that involved one lick anywhere. Even reading about it is bad enough.

I did spend many months firstly using a needle and syringe to draw pus out of a rather enormous lump under the dogs chin, then after surgery and drain removal flushing out said area with syringe and weak betadine solution 3 times a day for over three months until it healed from the inside out.

Edited by OSoSwift