Blue British Bulldogs

CrazyCresties

Blue, brown and dilute brown are all recessive and as such can be carried for many generations in any dominant black pigmented breed before two dogs carrying the same recessive genes are mated and produce those colours. It is perfectly possible for any BB to have brown or dilute pigment instead of black but what is probably genetically impossible for purebred BBs is for them to be a solid or piebald black, brown or dilute with or without tan points. According to the breed standard all BBs are all white or genetically sable with or without brindle stripes and from what I can work out, they all have a black mask. These can also have white pied markings. Sable and brindle are coat patterns not colours and for them to occur all dogs must genetically have two of ky and/ or kbr genes plus ayay. To be solid black, brown or dilute, they must have a parent the same who has at least one KB gene to suppress the sable or brindle. If a dog has one KB it cannot be sable or brindle. So if only two sable or brindle dogs are bred, they cannot produce a solid colour. Two ayay dogs also cannot produce tan points atat. Dogs that are ayat will regularly produce tan points and that doesn't seem to happen. The only possible explanation for solid colours turning up is that some of the whites are in fact solids genetically and the white is covering the solid colour or if any of the red/fawns do not have masks and therefore could be recessive ee red/yellows, not sables, that could also be masking solid colour.

The BB is such a healthy breed to begin with. Some breeding based on color is just what they need. Maybe they can bring the life expectancy down from 5 to 3 years!

p.s. I think I read somewhere that the color loci were more subject to random mutation than many other regions of the genetic code. Blueness may be a bit like albinism . . . except that it's highly marketable.

Edited by sandgrubber