Pet Rescue

I've been taught that all caps is both SHOUTING and hard to read. I personally find it rude or ignorant (if you knew better you wouldn't do it) and hard to read.

Really old computer systems - only had upper case. But I can't see that excuse holding up these days.

It's good in selected spots for emphasis but not for whole blocks of text...

I'd rewrite like this - I'd put the email instruction at the beginning of a line. And the last thing on the bit of blurb - cos sometimes that's all they remember. I have a habit of tuning out headers... they're just labels not relevant info, right? Until someone puts the important stuff in the header and then I'm stuffed.

----------------------------------------------

If you would like to know more about Angus

EMAIL ME, email is good.

please include

* a description of a day at your place

* how long Angus would be on his own each day

* how active you are - how often do you go for walks or runs

* how many in your home including kids - how old the kids are

* other pets you have

* anything else that helps me decide if Angus is a good fit for your family.

* any questions you have about Angus

and repeating - please * email * me.

-------------------------------------------------------

I guess it's exasperating and I am hardly the go to person for creative writing... But I have been writing instructions for morons (computers and their users) for years - and I have a good understanding of what stuff just doesn't get noticed.

The best way is to pay attention to what enquiries you get - and tweak your blurb accordingly. Try different blurbs with different dogs and see what phrasing gets the best results for you.

I have heard of people putting deliberate spelling mistakes into their advertising boards - because people will come into their shop - just to point that out and maybe they will buy something too. And if you say - thank you so much for pointing that out - they feel a bit "special" and even more inclined to return to your shop. Which is good if you don't mind Spelling Fanatics for customers...

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And of course, the people who send you really abrupt or even rude messages don't really waste your time because they take themselves out of the running. Always a blessing if you have multiple enquiries for the one dog!

I've been taught that all caps is both SHOUTING and hard to read. I personally find it rude or ignorant (if you knew better you wouldn't do it) and hard to read.

Really old computer systems - only had upper case. But I can't see that excuse holding up these days.

I'd rewrite like this - I'd put the email instruction at the beginning of a line. And the last thing on the bit of blurb - cos sometimes that's all they remember. I have a habit of tuning out headers... they're just labels not relevant info, right? Until someone puts the important stuff in the header and then I'm stuffed.

EMAIL ME, email is good.

please include

* other pets you have

I guess it's exasperating and I am hardly the go to person for creative writing... But I have been writing instructions for morons (computers and their users) for years - and I have a good understanding of what stuff just doesn't get noticed.

The best way is to pay attention to what enquiries you get - and tweak your blurb accordingly. Try different blurbs with different dogs and see what phrasing gets the best results for you.

I have heard of people putting deliberate spelling mistakes into their advertising boards - because people will come into their shop - just to point that out and maybe they will buy something too. And if you say - thank you so much for pointing that out - they feel a bit "special" and even more inclined to return to your shop. Which is good if you don't mind Spelling Fanatics for customers...

As I said I have rehomed over 1000 dogs in 14 years and was taught that it is "emphasis’s" what you want noticed.

This post was not about criticising carers about the wording they use in their dog blurbs it is about time wasters, I am one for constructive comments but take exception when told I am wrong when I was taught one way and others were taught another, I have never had people tell me I am shouting and as I said I was taught that it is not.

I will ignore the bit about being a "moron and should know better" :eek: I "should know better" than post on some DOL threads as people sometimes can't help them selves to.

Wasn't calling you a moron.

Was calling your computer a moron. And maybe some of your time wasters. Because they follow (or tune out) instructions like a computer does.

Do exactly what you say and not what you meant.

If you capitalize a whole paragraph - the emphasis gets buried.

What I have been trying to say is the better your wording - the less time wasters you have.

The number of time wasters you get is a direct reflection of your ad. If you didn't put an ad up - you wouldn't get any time wasters. If you put a better ad up - you will get less time wasters.

You will know when your ad is right - because the number of time wasters will go down. I'm making suggestions based on my experience of writing instructions.

You're the one in a position to test what I'm saying. Try some different blurb styles and see what works best for you and the dog. Change them every week.

I wasn't intending to upset you. I hope you see the connection I'm trying to point out.

I think rehoming dogs is a very worthwhile thing to be doing - and easier and more joyful it is for you, the better that is for homeless dogs.

EMAIL ME, email is good.

please include

* other pets you have

Bolded part :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: especially the last sentence

No fences doesn't make someone unsuitable to own a pet. In the USA in a lot of places it's almost unheard of for there to be fenced yards, and people also keep dogs in units. If the dog is given appropriate exercise on leash on the street and off leash where allowed then someone without a fenced yard could be a great adopter.

Of course, the person needs to understand this and not just let the dog out the back unleashed, but if they do and they're realistic about the situation there's no reason to have a blanket rule like 'no fences = no dogs'.

Having blanket rules and not looking at individual situations means lots of lost adoption opportunities which means less dogs getting rescued which means more euthanasia. My interstate aunt recently wanted to adopt a little dog at Renbury farm that had a hold on it from a Sydney rescue. It had two days left on its hold to be adopted before it went to the rescue. I had to rush her to get everything in place (flights etc) in that two days rather than advising her to just apply through the rescue as I knew they wouldn't give her the dog as she doesn't have fences.

Needless to say the little dog is happy as larry and living the good life.

Um, if you read my no fences comment in context you would see that was not a blanket rule but it was a relevant safety measure for that particular dog who would take off if given a chance. I'm personally all for what suits the dog best too.

I've also done quite a few home checks now for local and interstate rescue groups and given we don't live in the US, fencing or lack there of is still something all the rescue groups I've dealt with want to know about because that is predominantly how most people safely contain their animals here in Australia. I've never done a home check for a unit dweller but I have done townhouse and acreage checks and I have walked the fences every single time. I've also checked fences even though the dog in question will mostly be indoors only due to age, allergies or mobility issues. No-one wants the heartache of a missing dog.

I have rehomed over 1000 dogs in 14 years

Shows in how well you describe the dogs on your website... which is one of those I show to people so they can see benefits of adopting from a good rescue. The information given is what a pet owner needs to know to start even considering a particular dog.. & then having a base from which to make further enquiries. Just speaking for myself, I prefer lower-case bold for emphasis because I find that typography easier to read.

EMAIL ME, email is good.

please include

* other pets you have

Bolded part :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: especially the last sentence

My dad owned a yachting school for many years and on the back of his ute was an ad for his 'yoting' school. He earned several thousand a year off people who called to berate his spelling ability and somehow hung up after buying a sailing course :rofl:

My dad owned a yachting school for many years and on the back of his ute was an ad for his 'yoting' school. He earned several thousand a year off people who called to berate his spelling ability and somehow hung up after buying a sailing course :rofl:

:)

Interesting discussion, especially since PetRescue is currently considering more fine-tuning exclusions in searches - most of us will have the survey email from them asking for input on this.

Some of the exclusions they are considering that you can add to your listing for an individual animal include "no children under 6" , "no resident cats" , "no outside only dogs" and the like. I know we usually put these things in the description, but I can see the value in excluding animals from the search before the searcher sees the picture!

PetRescue are asking for other suggested search exclusions...I have suggested "Less than 45 minutes a day for grooming/exercising/training" which I would use for some high drive and/or large full coated and/or needy dogs and cats when listing them.

I would be interested to hear any suggestions you may have made in response to the PetRescue survey.

The thing that most people looking for animals wants is something Petrescue refuses to do... allow searching by breed/breed-mix...

Exclusions are a good first step in the direction of making the matching better - but until people can enter a breed or breed mix, then it's still going to confuse the hell out of the average punter.

T.

hi tdierikx

I guess not allowing search by breed means people can't get into heaps of trouble for making assumptions about what a breed or mix would be like based on that and not talking to the people looking after the dog right now.

But it is possible to cheat... and use google site search eg

labrador SA 2014 site:petrescue.com.au

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=labrador+SA+2014+site%3Apetrescue.com.au

hi tdierikx

I guess not allowing search by breed means people can't get into heaps of trouble for making assumptions about what a breed or mix would be like based on that and not talking to the people looking after the dog right now.

But it is possible to cheat... and use google site search eg

labrador SA 2014 site:petrescue.com.au

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=labrador+SA+2014+site%3Apetrescue.com.au

But does the average punter looking for a dog know how to do that?

T.

I've been debating whether or not to join in this conversation but anyway...

Some time ago, when I was looking at getting my first dog I spent a lot of time searching Pet Rescue. I was in Canberra and did see the "ALL CAPS" parts of some adds from a rescue group and I have to say I was completely turned off - not because it was 'shouting' as such but it made me feel as if I would not be considered worthy of adopting a dog by that particular group. It was quite intimidating. I ended up with a purebred Staffy as my first dog. Just some feedback from a then first-time pet searcher.

As for search options for Pet Rescue, it would be great to be able to refine the search further, though I wholeheartedly agree with NOT being able to search by breed. By not being able to search by breed it means every dog has a chance of being seen, and if you REALLY want that particular breed, you should be able to dedicate the time to searching through the listings. I think this is where further refinements would help too. I think categories like age brackets for children, needing to be an only dog, needing to be with another dog, being cat friendly, level of daily exercise needed, level of daily/weekly grooming, age brackets of dogs (say puppy, 1 - 3, 4 - 8 etc, though this would maybe work out worse for older dogs), amount of daily human interaction (eg fine to be left while at work all day or if needs someone home more than that). Or maybe if there is a fence height requirement, so if I only had 1.2m fence say, I could enter that and dogs like my Riley who can climb over the seven foot fence I have would be excluded :laugh:

being able to refine searches further will be a great idea, I must have just missed out on the survey as I didn't get an email :(

and dogmad I totally agree about the weight categories, small medium and large are such abstract definitions. To me there is a big difference between a cocker spaniel and a kelpie, but they are both classified as medium.

Not sure about the shedding, low shedding etc. For some unknown reason the general populace think low shedding means low maintenance when in fact the opposite is true

being able to refine searches further will be a great idea, I must have just missed out on the survey as I didn't get an email :(

and dogmad I totally agree about the weight categories, small medium and large are such abstract definitions. To me there is a big difference between a cocker spaniel and a kelpie, but they are both classified as medium.

Not sure about the shedding, low shedding etc. For some unknown reason the general populace think low shedding means low maintenance when in fact the opposite is true

Perhaps rephrase it to how many hours a week for grooming or even estimated annual grooming costs.

Allowing a search for breed is pointless when talking rescue dogs. 90% of the dogs on PetRescue are mixed breeds with the 'breeds' listed a total guess and based on visual ID only - which is incredibly unreliable. It hinders adoptions. A dog listed as a Kelpie X might be the most chilled out dog in the world but most people after Kelpies are more likely to want a more energetic dog. People wanting a higher energy dog won't be interested in this 'kelpie X' and people wanting a chilled out dog certainly won't be putting 'Kelpie' in their breed search. Dog is hindered in finding it's home.

Looking at the individual is infinitely more helpful.

Edited by melzawelza