How Many Dogs Do You Have?

Aleksandra 157

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Seems perfect to us. One was dreadful, so quiet and Kira seemed bored and depressed. When we have our nephews dog the dynamics change, and the Jack Russell (Firstly Tippy and now Jingo), get ganged up on by Kira and Rollie, and they never stop rumbling..... it is exhausting!

Di

I'm down to one and it will stay like this as Fleming is quite happy being an only dog (I do have a cat too). I like having two as they keep each other company when I'm not home.

I've had three (when I was fostering) and found it difficult so 2 is my ideal number.

We have 11 (with a 12th possibly arriving soon- still deciding about it). If we weren't so heavily involved in dog sports then we certainly wouldn't have that many, it is a lot of work. We like to have a new novice dog each every 3 years or so, once the younger ones have reached a maintenance level of their training, so they are all pretty well spaced out in ages. Our dogs regularly go camping and we have travelled Australia with them staying roadside and in caravan parks. We also stay in motels with them (although some sleep in the car, not all are in the room).

My ideal number would probably be 4. That is how many of them are mine (the other 7 are Tailwag's) and that is how many I used to try and keep when I lived on my own. Delta, Charlie and 2 rescues at any given time. Any less seemed too quiet.

"Ideal" is definitely flexible...like DC I do a lot of dog sports so I want my older dogs to be at some sort of maintenance level before I get a pup. Zig is 7.5 and Em is now 4. Perfect split age wise as I just keep Zig super fit and don't do a whole lot of training with him. I started a pup for a friend a few years ago and that was lots of work because Em wasn't that far advanced retrieving wise. I currently have a pup for a month and I'm doing a lot of work with her - the breed doesn't really suit us but she is very sweet and it's quite easy in that my dogs are happy to sleep the day away until we go training. I can see myself with a pup of my own in the next 12 months provided life works out. My training approach tends to improve with more dogs as I'm time poor and have to be very specific about what's important.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

As of yesterday, I'm down from four of my own to just two (plus one foster dog) and the house feels very quiet and empty. I think you get used to the craziness after a while and it becomes comfortably crazy.

:laugh: Totally!

I had 4 back in the UK, 2 cresties, a cocker and a greyhound - that added up to a whole heap of crazy at times :laugh:

For the past few years we had just the 2 cresties, but the crazy has returned with the addition of Poppy recently :D

3 for us, but 4 in about 7 weeks time. You can't have just one Border Collie.....and if they are all the same colour no one can tell, can they?

We often have 4 or 5 when we look after friend's dogs. 4 is a good number. 5 gets a bit manic, although that may be the mix rather than the number.

I can tell Mr TSD is ready for a new pup....he just arrived home, told me all the cute things Sky got up to this morning as he was getting ready for work, went outside to cuddle her as soon as she was calm and quiet, waxed lyrical about her muscle development since she's been with us and has now disappeared up the (very steep) back block to race around with her :laugh: He's going to miss her when she goes to her new owner!!!

Ok so currently I have 16! Do I win? Lol. Thirteen of those are only three days old biggrin.gif And they won't all be staying!

We have had three for more than a year now, and that's an ok number but shortly we will have four, as one of the pups will be staying. I'm looking forward to that- I can take two out and leave two, so no one is ever alone. I think it'll work better for us. Pleased to hear so many of you have four- I can tell my o/h it's not just me who thinks its a good idea!